Educational

Author Topic: Should fat people have to buy two seats on planes/buses etc?  (Read 3623 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Should fat people have to buy two seats on planes/buses etc?
« on: January 09, 2011, 08:04:55 PM »
Discuss

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Should fat people have to buy two seats on planes/buses etc?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 08:09:08 PM »
No. They buy a ticket to travel. It's not their fault if the seat isn't big enough for them.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 08:12:15 PM »
But someone else may have to stand because they're taking up that person's seat

And it often is their fault. We shouldn't have to make huge seats just because some people are too fat

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 08:16:15 PM »

And it often is their fault. We shouldn't have to make huge seats just because some people are too fat

Surely it's the responsibility of the company to make sure that its service is available for all. You wouldn't expect a disabled person to pay extra because they're more of a hassle to transport.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 08:18:30 PM »
But how can they know the person they're selling the ticket to is of a normal size? The person then just turns up and makes whoever they're sitting next to very uncomfortable. How can they make sure that doesn't happen when they can;t know which of their passengers is gonna be massive?

Scrapheap

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 08:19:41 PM »
No. They buy a ticket to travel. It's not their fault if the seat isn't big enough for them.

For airplanes, yes, they should pay for 2 seats because the operating costs are based on space and weight.

The was a time and day when passengers were charged by the pound. They should go back to that.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 08:20:37 PM »

For airplanes, yes, they should pay for 2 seats because the operating costs are based on space and weight.

The was a time and day when passengers were charged by the pound. They should go back to that.

Uh-oh, looks as if I'm gonna need a third job!  :zoinks:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 08:21:32 PM »
But how can they know the person they're selling the ticket to is of a normal size? The person then just turns up and makes whoever they're sitting next to very uncomfortable. How can they make sure that doesn't happen when they can;t know which of their passengers is gonna be massive?

Maybe they should set aside some of the double seats for fat people to sit on, or make sure that they never sell out the whole bus/plane.

P7PSP

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 08:23:30 PM »

Surely it's the responsibility of the company to make sure that its service is available for all. You wouldn't expect a disabled person to pay extra because they're more of a hassle to transport.
I don't want a morbidly obese slob flowing into my seat, especially on a 10 hour flight. If they can't be contained in a regular seat let them buy two.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 08:24:47 PM »

I don't want a morbidly obese slob flowing into my seat, especially on a 10 hour flight. If they can't be contained in a regular seat let them buy two.

They have seperate sections on busses for wheelchair users. Maybe there is a case for setting aside special space for fatties.

Scrapheap

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 08:25:42 PM »
Surely it's the responsibility of the company to make sure that its service is available for all.

If you're talking about a private company, then no. If it's public transportation then yes.

You wouldn't expect a disabled person to pay extra because they're more of a hassle to transport.

Again, if it's a private company then yes, they have every right to charge more because disabled people cost more to transport. Money doesn't grow on trees.

If it's the govenment doing it, then the extra costs gets absorbed by the taxpayers.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 08:29:42 PM »
Surely it's the responsibility of the company to make sure that its service is available for all.

If you're talking about a private company, then no. If it's public transportation then yes.

You wouldn't expect a disabled person to pay extra because they're more of a hassle to transport.

Again, if it's a private company then yes, they have every right to charge more because disabled people cost more to transport. Money doesn't grow on trees.

If it's the govenment doing it, then the extra costs gets absorbed by the taxpayers.

I do kinda agree with you. I think most our transport is public though, and I think there are laws to protect disabled people, and make sure they don't have to pay extra. I might be wrong though.
I don't think fat folk should be treated worse. They should have the same rights that disabled people have.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 08:31:06 PM »
If this is the case should you be able to fly two to a seat if you both can fit?
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 08:31:35 PM »
If this is the case should you be able to fly two to a seat if you both can fit?

Very good point :agreed:

Scrapheap

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 08:32:49 PM »
I don't think fat folk should be treated worse. They should have the same rights that disabled people have.

In the case of a privat company, it's not an issue of rights, it's an issue of making ends meet. Fat and disabled people cost more money to move. That money has to come from somewhere. Private companies have to charge more money, governments increase taxes.