Educational

Author Topic: Should fat people have to buy two seats on planes/buses etc?  (Read 3622 times)

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Should fat people have to buy two seats on planes/buses etc?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 08:34:41 PM »
I don't think fat folk should be treated worse. They should have the same rights that disabled people have.

In the case of a privat company, it's not an issue of rights, it's an issue of making ends meet. Fat and disabled people cost more money to move. That money has to come from somewhere. Private companies have to charge more money, governments increase taxes.

I'm not sure that's an option here though. There are laws here that make sure disable people are treated aqually.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 08:40:12 PM »
If I were to fly I would buy 2 tickets in any case.  I like to have my room.  I even buy 2 tickets for blockbuster opening nights like the Harry Potter movies to make sure I will have room for my elbow. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

P7PSP

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 08:43:12 PM »
I don't think fat folk should be treated worse. They should have the same rights that disabled people have.

In the case of a privat company, it's not an issue of rights, it's an issue of making ends meet. Fat and disabled people cost more money to move. That money has to come from somewhere. Private companies have to charge more money, governments increase taxes.

I'm not sure that's an option here though. There are laws here that make sure disable people are treated aqually.
If a lardass gets 2 seats for the price of one then I want two seats for the price of one as well. Of course that kind of equal treatment would either drive the airlines out of business or force every non lardass on the flight to pay way more to subsidize the morbidly obese. I see fat asses in groceries stores riding those carts because they don't want to walk. Not walking + eating 3000 or 4000 calories a day will just make them progressively fatter.

Osensitive1

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
If this is the case should you be able to fly two to a seat if you both can fit?
They do with babies.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 08:47:25 PM »

If a lardass gets 2 seats for the price of one then I want two seats for the price of one as well. Of course that kind of equal treatment would either drive the airlines out of business or force every non lardass on the flight to pay way more to subsidize the morbidly obese. I see fat asses in groceries stores riding those carts because they don't want to walk. Not walking + eating 3000 or 4000 calories a day will just make them progressively fatter.

It's not always the fat persons fault they're fat.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 08:48:06 PM »
What do airlines do with someone who has a broken leg?  Honest question.  Don't say they shoot them.

P7PSP

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 08:53:41 PM »

It's not always the fat persons fault they're fat.
If a person, or any other animal, takes in more calories then they burn up = weight gain. It is that simple. Just like spontaneous generation was a false proposition so is the idea that if a fat person is put on an 1800 calorie diet in a controlled environment they will continue to gain weight.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 08:55:32 PM »
What do airlines do with someone who has a broken leg?  Honest question.  Don't say they shoot them.

I imagine they lend the injured passenger a wheelchair if necessary to help with boarding and deplaning!   :nerdy:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 08:56:39 PM »

I imagine they lend the injured passenger a wheelchair if necessary to help with boarding and deplaning!   :nerdy:

No, I was referring to seating on an airplane.  That leg in a cast is going to stick out.  Do they put them right behind first class in that room area?

P7PSP

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 09:18:30 PM »

No, I was referring to seating on an airplane.  That leg in a cast is going to stick out.  Do they put them right behind first class in that room area?
Preboarding does happen for people on crutches etc. So there are the front Coach seats available. I draw the line at wanting to have someone who has pigged out on a pound of bacon, 6 eggs over easy, hashbrowns and 6 slices of toast everyday for 10 years sitting next to me. People don't hit 350 lbs + on one big meal every two weeks. Morbid obesity is a long consistent process of pigging out.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 10:03:38 PM »
Uh yeah. Each seat costs money and if they need two seats, buy two. If I were to want space and not have someone crowding me, I would have to buy two seats. If I wanted more room to keep my stuff, buy two seats, if I wanted room to sleep and I would like to lie down and sleep, buy two seats. It's all fair.

And it's not always someone's fault they are fat. Some people have something wrong with their metabolism they gain weight nonetheless no matter how little they eat. Some just can't lose weight no matter how little they eat or what exercise they do. It all has to do with metabolism. The most common ignorance there is about weight loss is "Just eat less food" but that doesn't work with older adults and young people with metabolism problems. Also not all fat people over eat. It's also genetic. I blame the media for causing so much ignorance about obesity. Have you ever noticed whenever you watch shows about it or documentaries, it's always about fast foods, junk food, and people not eating healthy? Plus it also has to do with food choices you make. If you eat the wrong foods, you won't lose weight. Sometimes people lose weight when they have started making better food choices. That's what happened with my husband. But he is still fat and he doesn't eat much.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 11:09:41 PM »
To add to what Kit said.  Steroids make you fat.  I had to give the Princess Royal daily steroid shots for about 2 or 3 months starting when she was 7 months old.  Before you get all bent out of shape, this was done because of her epilepsy and immature brain.  She gained an enormous amount of weight, had acne, had mood swings (rages and depression) and other side effects that I won't go into.  So if you're on steroids for a medical condition you probably would gain quite a lot of weight.

P7PSP

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 11:25:41 PM »
Uh yeah. Each seat costs money and if they need two seats, buy two. If I were to want space and not have someone crowding me, I would have to buy two seats. If I wanted more room to keep my stuff, buy two seats, if I wanted room to sleep and I would like to lie down and sleep, buy two seats. It's all fair.

And it's not always someone's fault they are fat. Some people have something wrong with their metabolism they gain weight nonetheless no matter how little they eat. Some just can't lose weight no matter how little they eat or what exercise they do. It all has to do with metabolism. The most common ignorance there is about weight loss is "Just eat less food" but that doesn't work with older adults and young people with metabolism problems. Also not all fat people over eat. It's also genetic. I blame the media for causing so much ignorance about obesity. Have you ever noticed whenever you watch shows about it or documentaries, it's always about fast foods, junk food, and people not eating healthy? Plus it also has to do with food choices you make. If you eat the wrong foods, you won't lose weight. Sometimes people lose weight when they have started making better food choices. That's what happened with my husband. But he is still fat and he doesn't eat much.

How many inmates left Auschwitz fat?

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 11:39:38 PM »

How many inmates left Auschwitz fat?

Maybe lot of them didn't have metabolism problems. I hear the minority are fat for a medical reason.

Offline Enos

• Earliest Common Ancestor of the Aspie Elite
  • Frequent Poster
    • My facebook
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 07:30:20 AM »
If you're that huge you can only fit on 2 seats on not one, then yeah.
Swat PETA, not flies