Educational

Author Topic: Should fat people have to buy two seats on planes/buses etc?  (Read 3620 times)

Frolic_Fun

Re: Should fat people have to buy two seats on planes/buses etc?
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2011, 12:03:44 PM »
I'm not sure that's an option here though. There are laws here that make sure disable people are treated aqually.

Giving a group privileges such as special seats etc. ISN'T equal treatment or rights. Although equal rights does not work, because averaging out everything just brings up more complications.

It's not always the fat persons fault they're fat.

99.99% of the time, it is their fault. I also don't consider someone to be fat disabled.

People ruin their metabolism by overeating, or a cycle of eating/starving.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2011, 12:24:16 PM »
I'm not sure that's an option here though. There are laws here that make sure disable people are treated aqually.

Giving a group privileges such as special seats etc. ISN'T equal treatment or rights. Although equal rights does not work, because averaging out everything just brings up more complications.

99.99% of the time, it is their fault. I also don't consider someone to be fat disabled.

That just is not true. A far higher than 0.01% of morbidly obese people are like that because of a health problem. I have no idea what the actual percentage is.

Disabled people have an equal right to use public transport. I think it's illegal to charge disabled people extra. You could not have a system where a morbidly obese person without a disablity is charged more than a morbidly obese person with a disability.

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 12:32:08 PM »

What is your source for this information?
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011, 12:33:23 PM »
That just is not true. A far higher than 0.01% of morbidly obese people are like that because of a health problem. I have no idea what the actual percentage is.
Every fat or obese person I've met eat like a bloody cow. Even myself. :zoinks:

To blame your weight on something other than your love of food is completely silly. It does not matter if a fat cunt is depressed when they shovel in food by the bucketload, it's still their fault.

Disabled people have an equal right to use public transport. I think it's illegal to charge disabled people extra. You could not have a system where a morbidly obese person without a disablity is charged more than a morbidly obese person with a disability.

Disabled people tend to get privileges such as free travel and special seats. Using your morals, privileges would be as bad as charging extra.

I see it all around me. Very few people are "naturally" overweight.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2011, 12:51:31 PM »
Every fat or obese person I've met eat like a bloody cow. Even myself. omgzokool

To blame your weight on something other than your love of food is completely silly. It does not matter if a fat cunt is depressed when they shovel in food by the bucketload, it's still their fault.

There are illnesses such as diabetes that can make people fat.

Disabled people tend to get privileges such as free travel and special seats. Using your morals, privileges would be as bad as charging extra.

No. Certain groups of people are given free, or reduced travel costs, such as children, pensioners, students, and some disabled people. I think these are subsidized by the government, although I'm not sure. I think it's fair that the disadvantaged people in society should be given the most help.

Perhaps the majority of morbidly obese people are that way because they eat too much and don't excersise. However, it is totally wrong to say that applies to 99.99% of fat people. That would mean that only 1 in 10,000 mobidly obese people are that way because of a health problem. Come on Schleed. I think you know that's not true.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2011, 01:15:32 PM »
There are illnesses such as diabetes that can make people fat.
I'm not sure, I swore diabetes was caused by being fat, not causing fatness.

No. Certain groups of people are given free, or reduced travel costs, such as children, pensioners, students, and some disabled people. I think these are subsidized by the government, although I'm not sure. I think it's fair that the disadvantaged people in society should be given the most help.

But in an equal society, disabled people should technically get the same service as other people. That means no assistance.

I am not against assistance, but it shows that things can't be truly equal.

Perhaps the majority of morbidly obese people are that way because they eat too much and don't excersise. However, it is totally wrong to say that applies to 99.99% of fat people. That would mean that only 1 in 10,000 mobidly obese people are that way because of a health problem. Come on Schleed. I think you know that's not true.

I sadly think it's true. There's too much easily obtainable food about so it is ridiculously easy to overeat. We're spoilt for choice and quantity. Since the past 20 years, the amount of fat and obese people have risen quite a bit due to this. Very rarely it's caused by a health issue (ie. if a person took medication that wrecks their metabolism), although more fat people claim it's a health issue mainly as an excuse to hide their insecurity. Some even sued fast-food places like McDonalds because they didn't want to admit that THEY alone were the cause of their overeating.

Every fat person I met over the years overeats. I too got to this weight due to overeating. My fat aunt and uncle? Overeating. The fat people I see during lunch in college? Overeating.

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 01:17:36 PM »
Every fat or obese person I've met eat like a bloody cow. Even myself. :zoinks:

Considering the amount of variation in the human race in general, I do not believe that you can accurately make a generalization about the statistical spread of the etiology of obesity in a population you have only observed non-empirically.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2011, 01:21:50 PM »
I read that stress and depression can also make people overweight because their brain releases a chemical telling them they are hungry when they are not so they eat. To me, it is all about willpower. Only eat three times a day, do not eat in between and you won't gain weight. Even if you feel hungry. So to me it's still a choice because they chose to eat still because don't they know that stress and depression can make them hungry more often and it's just fake hunger they are feeling?

I bet the reason why most people give into their appetite and eat is because when we are young, we are taught "eat when you feel hungry" "eat until you are full" so as adults when our brains release a chemical making us think we are hungry, we give in and eat. So it takes willpower to not do it.

Even medicine can do this too so it also takes willpower to not eat between meals and not eat three times as much or twice as much. I would rather feel hungry all the time than get fat if I went through all this and I don't care if it's an "eating disorder." At least I am not giving into my fake appetite and getting fat.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2011, 01:25:19 PM »
Considering the amount of variation in the human race in general, I do not believe that you can accurately make a generalization about the statistical spread of the etiology of obesity in a population you have only observed non-empirically.

But to assume that the major cause of becoming fat or getting obese isn't overeating is complete bollocks to me. I know some people like to cover their ears and try to sugar it up with sweet PCness, but the only thing fatties have to blame is themselves. :zoinks:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2011, 02:11:54 PM »

But to assume that the major cause of becoming fat or getting obese isn't overeating is complete bollocks to me. I know some people like to cover their ears and try to sugar it up with sweet PCness, but the only thing fatties have to blame is themselves. :zoinks:

Over eating is the major cause of obesity, but not 9999 times out of 10,000.

I'm not sure, I swore diabetes was caused by being fat, not causing fatness.

Obesity can cause diabetes. It is far from the only cause though.

But in an equal society, disabled people should technically get the same service as other people. That means no assistance.

I am not against assistance, but it shows that things can't be truly equal.

It depends on how you look at equal rights. The principle seems to be that disabled people should have the right to do what an able bodied person can do, and it is the responsibility of the company to ensure that the the disabled person can use the service as easily as an able bodied customer.
It does not seem to be "equal" in that everybody is treated the exact same.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2011, 02:33:42 PM »
Some things can probably make people put on weight, but not to that extent. You just have to have some fucking self control if you've got a problem with it. I was on tablets that apparently made people put on weight once. They did, but indirectly. They encourage you to eat more. There's a reason you don't get loads of fat people in places where there isn;t loads of food. It's not a disability like someone who can't walk

Why do you think obesity is on the rise? Obviously because people are eating more and more shite

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2011, 02:37:59 PM »
Over eating is the major cause of obesity, but not 9999 times out of 10,000.
It really does seem like that though, to me.

Obesity can cause diabetes. It is far from the only cause though.
I am aware there are other causes of diabetes. But unless I'm wrong, I never seen diabetes causing obesity.

It depends on how you look at equal rights. The principle seems to be that disabled people should have the right to do what an able bodied person can do, and it is the responsibility of the company to ensure that the the disabled person can use the service as easily as an able bodied customer.
It does not seem to be "equal" in that everybody is treated the exact same.

Equal rights does hint that everyone should be treated the same. The fact you have to facilitate for variation and disability means it doesn't really exist, since they contradict the very notion of equalness. Something can't be equal if there are differences.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2011, 02:40:35 PM »
I would be more comfortable (assuming I was travelling alone) to have both seats to myself, so I don't have some annoying twat next to me. If I wanted that though, I;'d rightly be expected to pay for both those seats. Anyone should, regardless of the reason

Dunno if you've seen it in Irelant, but there';s a guy here saying he wants to sue the NHS for not helping him lose weight sooner. Wanker. Of all the things to sue, the NHS? Idiot

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2011, 02:46:48 PM »
Typical, blame something else than themselves.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2011, 08:31:19 PM »
How much should he pay?

A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv: