Educational

Author Topic: Just one quick bitch ...  (Read 250337 times)

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
Re: Just one quick bitch ...
« Reply #6825 on: September 30, 2008, 08:20:51 AM »
I have to give a 3 minute talk on Sustainability on Thursday. I think I will be ok but three minutes is a long time when I have to talk for all of it.
Its 500 words, if that, (and this is assuming you speak nearly 3 words per second). Write out your key points, your thesis statement and then make it into a speech. This book is full of good advice which you can adapt if you have time:
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4342038/

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6826 on: September 30, 2008, 08:22:04 AM »
Waggy ran off while I was walking her today; she disappeared into dense, thorny undergrowth and I couldn't follow her.  I spent about 15 minutes calling to her, running around to see if she'd surfaced at another point on the path I was on and beating a path through thick brambles trying to find her, but there wasn't a trace of her until she reappeared behind me all of a sudden.  She's getting very bad for running off like that, and there are a lot of very busy roads around here, so although she knows the way home, there's a fair chance that she wouldn't survive the trip on her own.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6827 on: September 30, 2008, 08:26:56 AM »
Good luck. I hated giving speeches in class. Practice on GA or somebody first.  :)
Yes, that is a good idea. He said he can't promise to pay attention, he is not a big fan of speeches.

Teachers have told us that we have to give a lot more speeches, this is only the start. Noooooo!

Good advice! (even hadron's basis)
I managed speeches fairly well, after some practice in getting the inflections right for the point of the speech. My inflections can be the rule, but sometimes I don't see what I'm saying at first. I need to have a speech critiqued, if possible.

If he won't listen and tell you what to change then try a classmate, first.

Announcements on the other hand are SOOO my game. Voice of GOD type thing, maybe. I always kept a live performance microphone at my mixing desk, so when some random person came up to ask me to have an announcement made, I BECAME GAWD.

Remember, Renaeden, when YOU have the floor, they are not real people, they are mice (or if you're afraid of mice then they are ants - HELL if you're afraid of ants, then you can fly and they can't. They are at YOUR limited mercy, make them know this with your presentation. Recover later.)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 08:45:17 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6828 on: September 30, 2008, 08:31:35 AM »
They're never people when I speak in front of an audience. I'm not sure what they are, to be honest, but they're not people.

You'll do great, Renaeden. I know you will. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #6829 on: September 30, 2008, 08:40:33 AM »
Woman, that's what. Should never have tried where I could only fail, I'm just as much to blame.

Vodzy, it is better to have the slobber slapped out of you and remember the feel of her ass than to never have felt her ass.

Don't give up! Find a woman who wants to rub her ass against you.

She was really into anal. :'(
I'll miss the good times, they were few are far apart.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6830 on: September 30, 2008, 09:19:22 AM »
Waggy ran off while I was walking her today; she disappeared into dense, thorny undergrowth and I couldn't follow her.  I spent about 15 minutes calling to her, running around to see if she'd surfaced at another point on the path I was on and beating a path through thick brambles trying to find her, but there wasn't a trace of her until she reappeared behind me all of a sudden.  She's getting very bad for running off like that, and there are a lot of very busy roads around here, so although she knows the way home, there's a fair chance that she wouldn't survive the trip on her own.

FUCK, man. that's scary.

The same thing happened with my Snuggles (always have children name your pets, if you can) about twelve or so times before he got killed in traffic.

His neck was so strong and massive for his size that he could slip out of his collar (while I'm left holding a cartoon leash) when he caught scent of a bitch he wanted to chase down. I was planning to get a harness for him, but I was too late.

Maybe some of your "leather gear" could be adapted to your dog?

I waited too long to address this problem. I live in a very busy neighborhood and I should have done more for him. He was my best dog ever. I've had about fifty dogs - he was the best, yet.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6831 on: September 30, 2008, 09:25:49 AM »
They're never people when I speak in front of an audience. I'm not sure what they are, to be honest, but they're not people.

You'll do great, Renaeden. I know you will. :)

To me, their squeaking and shiny little eyes makes them mice, but whatever it takes to NOT see PEOPLE JUDGING YOU, is fine.

I agree, she will do well.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #6832 on: September 30, 2008, 09:30:44 AM »
Good luck. I hated giving speeches in class. Practice on GA or somebody first.  :)
Yes, that is a good idea. He said he can't promise to pay attention, he is not a big fan of speeches.

Teachers have told us that we have to give a lot more speeches, this is only the start. Noooooo!

I wonder what happened to Vodzy?
Learning public speaking is a good thing imo, in the workplace its the main skill that determines how well you will do.

If GA cant concentrate for the time it takes, how about taping it and playing it back? Maybe even upload it on here.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6833 on: September 30, 2008, 09:43:42 AM »
Speaking of dogs, I hate the way some people treat their pets.

Earlier today, our new neighbors' (we have a rental across the alley and it rotates residents like a slum) dog was raising bloody hell when I took out some garbage. I went over and "introduced myself"  for the first time to the tight-leashed dog barking at me.

I was kneeling on the ground and the dog was licking my face when the neighbor stomped outside with a big stick, screaming at the dog. We were kind of behind the fence and when he came around the corner, still screaming, when he saw me getting doghead from his killer beast. He stopped in his tracks with the stick upraised, threatening the dog. He said, "What the HELL? No one has ever been able to come up on this dog."
I said I live there, pointing, and he was yelling at me, pointing back to the dog.

The guy was speechless. I stood up and told him my name, shook his hand, but then he went on about how his dog does not like strangers. I said, "I think your dog is really cool and I was just making friends so he wouldn't feel threatened when I walk outside. I walk out a lot."  The guy went on about how his dog has been in the country his whole life and he doesn't like people, amazed that a stranger could quiet him.
I said that he seems like a smart dog and I went on.

This fucker was coming out there to smack the dog for doing what it naturally does, protect its territory. needless to say I am more impressed with the dog than I am with the kentucky-ite moron.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #6834 on: September 30, 2008, 09:46:55 AM »
Speaking of dogs, I hate the way some people treat their pets.

Earlier today, our new neighbors' (we have a rental across the alley and it rotates residents like a slum) dog was raising bloody hell when I took out some garbage. I went over and "introduced myself"  for the first time to the tight-leashed dog barking at me.

I was kneeling on the ground and the dog was licking my face when the neighbor stomped outside with a big stick, screaming at the dog. We were kind of behind the fence and when he came around the corner, still screaming, when he saw me getting doghead from his killer beast. He stopped in his tracks with the stick upraised, threatening the dog. He said, "What the HELL? No one has ever been able to come up on this dog."
I said I live there, pointing, and he was yelling at me, pointing back to the dog.

The guy was speechless. I stood up and told him my name, shook his hand, but then he went on about how his dog does not like strangers. I said, "I think your dog is really cool and I was just making friends so he wouldn't feel threatened when I walk outside. I walk out a lot."  The guy went on about how his dog has been in the country his whole life and he doesn't like people, amazed that a stranger could quiet him.
I said that he seems like a smart dog and I went on.

This fucker was coming out there to smack the dog for doing what it naturally does, protect its territory. needless to say I am more impressed with the dog than I am with the kentucky-ite moron.

Cool story Hansel!
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6835 on: September 30, 2008, 10:56:54 AM »

FUCK, man. that's scary.

The same thing happened with my Snuggles (always have children name your pets, if you can) about twelve or so times before he got killed in traffic.

His neck was so strong and massive for his size that he could slip out of his collar (while I'm left holding a cartoon leash) when he caught scent of a bitch he wanted to chase down. I was planning to get a harness for him, but I was too late.

Maybe some of your "leather gear" could be adapted to your dog?

I waited too long to address this problem. I live in a very busy neighborhood and I should have done more for him. He was my best dog ever. I've had about fifty dogs - he was the best, yet.

I've not had a problem with her slipping her collar, but when she's off the lead, she'll find an interesting smell and stop responding to commands, and disappear into the undergrowth or under a fence or something.  In this area, we're never far from a road, and even the parks have regular traffic from service vehicles and visitors going to and from car parks, and Waggy's a small, mostly black dog with no road sense, who's very well camouflaged against a backdrop of tarmac.  I looked online at remote controlled collars when I got back today; they emit a warning sound and then optionally give an electric shock, and could be useful as a means of last resort when she runs off, but they're expensive and might give her a nervous temperament eventually, so I think I'll try a dog whistle first and see if I can train her to respond to it.  We have a flashing collar which makes it easier to spot her, especially during the winter when it's dark most of the time, but it doesn't help so much with actually retrieving her.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6836 on: September 30, 2008, 02:51:16 PM »

I guess the only answer is to figure out how to train them NOT to ignore commands.

I don't know how to do that, but surely someone does.

ozymandias

« Reply #6837 on: September 30, 2008, 04:10:07 PM »

I guess the only answer is to figure out how to train them NOT to ignore commands.

Dogs like children have selective hearing!   ::)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6838 on: October 01, 2008, 02:50:49 AM »

even easier, get cats - they never take a blind bit of fucking notice of anything anyone says, ever.

:laugh:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6839 on: October 01, 2008, 05:41:09 AM »

even easier, get cats - they never take a blind bit of fucking notice of anything anyone says, ever.

:laugh:

I KNOW it can be done, I'm just not sure of the process or how effective it would be. Imagine a police attack dog that ignores commands.

It may be something that has to be instilled at a developmental age, though, and not some idea that can be taught once a dog has known the call of a free-chase.

My last dog was incredibly attentive and tried his best to do what I asked, but when I turned my back, he reverted to instinctive behaviors. One day he slipped his collar, jumped the fence and took off, all in a short span of minutes. A couple of days later, I found that the city had collected his body.
A command could not have changed this.

I've had at least twice as many cats as dogs (I can remember all my dogs, but some of the cats, I've forgotten their names or I continually find myself confusing them with others, sadly), but well over half of my cats have been taken by dogs. Only a handful have been lost to natural causes.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:55:19 AM by DirtDawg »