Author Topic: What are You doing right now?  (Read 138571 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What are You doing right now?
« Reply #2205 on: February 18, 2007, 09:05:15 AM »

Go fix your computer. NOW! ;)

Getting ready to shut my machine off and replace the soundcard, once again. I have figured out what my problem was from my earlier attempt to use the M Audio card. The on-board AC '97 circuits were not shutting down, completely, even though I supposedly had them disabled and yet that issue was no problem for the Creative card. Hmmmmm.

It shouldn't be. You can have two sound cards installed at the same time, for as long as you don't get a hardware conflict, but Windows should be able to handle it. You don't get conflicts between other PCI cards, do you?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lurk Hurk Gurk

• Super-Duper Rationalist Crackpot Mystic of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • Lhrxiag Trhe (hvng: rbt13)
« Reply #2206 on: February 18, 2007, 01:44:02 PM »
I have just completed the new news management part of my semi-secret administration panel for my site. Now I can post, edit and delete news all I like once again. Which means I will be able to enter the old news into the new system after moving the new site online, when I do. As I'm the only webmaster, maybe it was a little overkill to make the admin panel a multi-user system with the possibility to add, modify and delete users from within... Oh well, atleast the damn thing is pretty secure and has a hard-coded root user, so no harm should come from it.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2207 on: February 18, 2007, 02:11:53 PM »

Getting ready to shut my machine off and replace the soundcard, once again. I have figured out what my problem was from my earlier attempt to use the M Audio card. The on-board AC '97 circuits were not shutting down, completely, even though I supposedly had them disabled and yet that issue was no problem for the Creative card. Hmmmmm.

It shouldn't be. You can have two sound cards installed at the same time, for as long as you don't get a hardware conflict, but Windows should be able to handle it. You don't get conflicts between other PCI cards, do you?
No HDW conflicts.

It had something to do with faulty "BIOS reporting" to Windows, in the early version of the VIA drivers - over my head to fix. The update seems to be working. MA card is installed and it has been running problem-free, since about two-ish this morning. I have restarted it a dozen times, hibernated it (my normal shut down at night) with multiple things running, started WMP, WinAmp, and EAC, together trying to crash it. So far so good.

The only weird thing is that Windows Media Player defaults to the on-board AC'97 each time I re-start the computer, so I suspect that the faulty reporting is still occurring on some level. I have to open WMP properties to select the sound device if I want to use it, after a re-start. Good thing I don't use it much. I use WinAmp, mostly, and it works, fine. I haven't used Audacity for encoding LPs, yet. I only do needledrops when all is quiet, in the house and I don't have that during the day, very often.

Thank you, Odeon, for embarrassing me into fixing my shit.

(I was very hesitant to re-install mobo drivers. I've learned (the hard way) to leave them alone, if they are working.)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 02:20:38 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #2208 on: February 18, 2007, 03:11:17 PM »
About to take a nap.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2209 on: February 18, 2007, 04:42:16 PM »

No HDW conflicts.

It had something to do with faulty "BIOS reporting" to Windows, in the early version of the VIA drivers - over my head to fix. The update seems to be working. MA card is installed and it has been running problem-free, since about two-ish this morning. I have restarted it a dozen times, hibernated it (my normal shut down at night) with multiple things running, started WMP, WinAmp, and EAC, together trying to crash it. So far so good.

The only weird thing is that Windows Media Player defaults to the on-board AC'97 each time I re-start the computer, so I suspect that the faulty reporting is still occurring on some level. I have to open WMP properties to select the sound device if I want to use it, after a re-start. Good thing I don't use it much. I use WinAmp, mostly, and it works, fine. I haven't used Audacity for encoding LPs, yet. I only do needledrops when all is quiet, in the house and I don't have that during the day, very often.

(I was very hesitant to re-install mobo drivers. I've learned (the hard way) to leave them alone, if they are working.)

My guess would be that it's a registry issue rather than Windows talking to the BIOS. Usually Windows ignores stuff at that level, if there aren't drivers forcing it to. But even then, it's probably a registry key that was left behind.

A search in regedt32 for AC97 will probably locate it for you.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2210 on: February 18, 2007, 08:07:55 PM »

Getting ready to shut my machine off and replace the soundcard, once again. I have figured out what my problem was from my earlier attempt to use theM Audio card. The on-board AC '97 circuits were not shutting down, completely, even though I supposedly had them disabled and yet that issue was no problem for the Creative card. Hmmmmm.

No HDW conflicts.

My guess would be that it's a registry issue rather than Windows talking to the BIOS. Usually Windows ignores stuff at that level, if there aren't drivers forcing it to. But even then, it's probably a registry key that was left behind.

A search in regedt32 for AC97 will probably locate it for you.

I'm talking about a problem encountered during boot up. The last time I installed XP from scratch on this machine (previous install was unstable, done in May) it often stopped at the AC'97 driver and offered to open in safe mode, or try it again, as the only options. It was annoying, especially since I didn't want to use the on-board, anyway, and I knew I had it disabled in the device manager. At Tom's Hardware, after about ten emails with two different guys, I found out that I was having the problem from a packaged driver set (that came with this mobo) and I needed to install everything separately, but that was info I filed away for the next time, since this time it all worked (except for when I tried the MA card). I haven't had any trouble at all with this install, done last June. That's why I didn't want to take a chance on messing it up. It's done now, anyway, and no problems so far.

There are registry entries for AC'97, under Local Machine and Current User and they are all listed as, "value not set" in both areas. I am more inclined to believe the problem is in Windows Media Player registry entries, but I would need to do a lot more research to figure out what some of those ambiguously named entries do, before I start turning stuff off. I'm not afraid of the registry, but I don't like to alter an entry like ZIMGOING2FUKKUNTH3A55FORB3ING H3R3 (gibberish!) unless I'm sure I know what it does, even if it "looks" right. Call me chicken. I only used WMP when freedb.com was having problems, so I won't need to mess with it at all.

I don't have my tubes/valves/firebubbles hooked up, yet, but later tonight I will. I will need some quieter fans, especially the chipset fan, a tiny little noisy bastard that runs at a million rpm.

M Audio works, so I'm happy, now!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

ozymandias

« Reply #2211 on: February 18, 2007, 08:46:12 PM »
Shutting down and going to bed!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2212 on: February 18, 2007, 11:34:46 PM »
Listening to my JBL studio monitors, powered by my SET tube amps, with my computer remote in hand, servng up the tunes, with WinAmp, through my M Audio soundcard. It really REALLY sounds good!

I'm not embarrassed anymore, Odeon.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2213 on: February 19, 2007, 03:43:39 AM »
Oh good. :) I'd like to get an M-Audio, too, but it looks like I'd have to order it...

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2214 on: February 19, 2007, 04:15:57 AM »
Oh good. :) I'd like to get an M-Audio, too, but it looks like I'd have to order it...

Of course, you're in Sweden. You have to order almost everything, or someone does for you. So do we, since most everything is in China, in the beginning.
 :green:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2215 on: February 19, 2007, 04:26:46 AM »
Going to take a nap. At least until the kids wake up. That could be a while since they were up so late, last night. Nothing better than Presidents Day to fuck up an already fucked up schedule of routines.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #2216 on: February 19, 2007, 05:48:15 AM »
Waking up with a cup of :coffee:
Guardian of the Empire

duncvis

« Reply #2217 on: February 19, 2007, 11:46:06 AM »
Trying to decide whether to do some work on The Drivel or not. Still highly pissed I mislaid the old database for the forum archive I was doing. :smash:

Offline Lurk Hurk Gurk

• Super-Duper Rationalist Crackpot Mystic of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • Lhrxiag Trhe (hvng: rbt13)
« Reply #2218 on: February 19, 2007, 12:21:48 PM »
After spending some time doing various little adjustments and improvements to my site, I have begun working on a series of pages for my set of plugins. Maybe I'll get done with it all today, or atleast tonight...

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #2219 on: February 19, 2007, 01:21:12 PM »
After spending some time doing various little adjustments and improvements to my site, I have begun working on a series of pages for my set of plugins. Maybe I'll get done with it all today, or atleast tonight...

links, please.
Misunderstood.