Author Topic: What are You doing right now?  (Read 138705 times)

duncvis

Re: What are You doing right now?
« Reply #2175 on: February 15, 2007, 07:16:47 PM »
Switching to Etch, are you?

Yep, I've gone back to the original again. I used the daily snapshot build with KDE, and have added the Sid repositories to apt already.  :eyebrows:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2176 on: February 16, 2007, 12:18:17 AM »
I may have to resort to to some hot water, though, Callaway, just so I don't have to pay a fine, but I have no place to put the foul stuff.

We put the snow on our sidewalk back into the street.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2177 on: February 16, 2007, 01:38:02 AM »
I may have to resort to to some hot water, though, Callaway, just so I don't have to pay a fine, but I have no place to put the foul stuff.

We put the snow on our sidewalk back into the street.

Now that would be nice, but, here, we have a city ordinance against that and I could probably get away with a few barrels of light snow. This stuff is almost solid ice, though. It won't go away for a while, especially considering that it's two below out there right now and only supposed to reach the low teens, today. The chlorides are no longer doing much to melt anything. Does it sound like I'm already defeated? It's mainly that I am very leery of using water to blast ice when it's so cold that it re-freezes before it can drain away. It's pretty flat here, too. Drainage is not good, any day.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Litigious

« Reply #2178 on: February 16, 2007, 02:30:28 AM »
Recovering from digging the trenches ..er paths that are needed to allow the service people access!  And of course clear the ground around my birdfeeders, which are attracting quite the crowd or should I say flock.

What kind of birds do you have? We have various kinds of tits  :eyebrows: ;), blackbirds, one robin, one or two wrens, nuthatches, bullfinchs, chaffinchs, magpies...  :)

Litigious

« Reply #2179 on: February 16, 2007, 02:32:44 AM »
This is the real issue for me. Our clay is calcium chloride heavy, limestone dust. It takes a lot of compost to offset that. Adding more salts to the mix is going to raise the pH to the point of toxicity for many of my prizes. I don't do grass, except for a small run in the back yard, for the kids. I have planting beds right up to the sidewalk. Even though we have only recently moved here, I've been maintaining this house since about '92. The garden has become quite special to me.  I can't just pile that salty ice on top of my beds and cross my fingers, hoping that we get a fast thaw that will melt the snow and keep the ground frozen, so that it won't leach into the ground.

I think magnesium chloride is better One neighbour always used that, and he was very environmentally concious.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2180 on: February 16, 2007, 02:52:41 AM »
That is not bad, but it is too expensive, here. I have been using a potassium chloride and urea mix that is actually beneficial to plants. It's not quite as fast acting as calcium chloride based products, but the urea is acidic and it sustains the ionic action (heating) over a longer period. Plus, it doesn't destroy concrete.

BTW, if the city used calcium chloride based products, there would not be ice on the sidewalk at two below zero farenheit. It actually gives off heat as it dissolves. The problem is that it absorbs moisture from the air and it won't feed through their salt trucks very well, because it clogs them up.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 03:00:09 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Litigious

« Reply #2181 on: February 16, 2007, 03:18:46 AM »
That is not bad, but it is too expensive, here. I have been using a potassium chloride and urea mix that is actually beneficial to plants. It's not quite as fast acting as calcium chloride based products, but the urea is acidic and it sustains the ionic action (heating) over a longer period. Plus, it doesn't destroy concrete.

Magnesium chloride is pretty cheap here, since it's pretty near Norway. They have the largest factory in the world for making magnesium chloride out of sea water. Couldn't potassium nitrate do? It's additionally a good fertilizer. Or ammonium nitrate? Or is that hard to get and/or expensive too?

Quote from: DirtDawg
BTW, if the city used calcium chloride based products, there would not be ice on the sidewalk at two below zero farenheit. It actually gives off heat as it dissolves. The problem is that it absorbs moisture from the air and it won't feed through their salt trucks very well, because it clogs them up.

The towns and cities here use sand and fine gravel. The Road Department uses calcium chloride, though, it's even commonly known as "road salt". That's what I washed away from my car yesterday, together with dust and dirt.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2182 on: February 16, 2007, 04:01:15 AM »
Switching to Etch, are you?

Yep, I've gone back to the original again. I used the daily snapshot build with KDE, and have added the Sid repositories to apt already.  :eyebrows:

The daily snapshot of KDE 4? :o You like living dangerously if that's the case.

But apt-get dist-upgrade is really a way of life. ;D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

duncvis

« Reply #2183 on: February 16, 2007, 04:05:50 AM »
No, relax... the daily snapshot of Etch, not Sid. I'm daft, not mental.  >:D

I prefer to start with testing as a base, add the unstable repositories, then use Synaptic as an apt front end for those helpful warnings like 'upgrading this program will fuck up half your system'. ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 04:08:17 AM by duncvis »

ozymandias

« Reply #2184 on: February 16, 2007, 06:29:29 AM »
Recovering from digging the trenches ..er paths that are needed to allow the service people access!  And of course clear the ground around my birdfeeders, which are attracting quite the crowd or should I say flock.

What kind of birds do you have? We have various kinds of tits  :eyebrows: ;), blackbirds, one robin, one or two wrens, nuthatches, bullfinchs, chaffinchs, magpies...  :)

Goldfinches., chickadees, blue jays, junco's, Downy and Hairy woodpeckers, nuthatches, wild turkeys, red polls, and a couple of other types of finches, mourning doves, etc.

Litigious

« Reply #2185 on: February 16, 2007, 06:43:53 AM »
I think robins (and Swedish robins are the same specie as the English, not the American robin) and wrens are among the funniest small birds. They really seem to have some kind of personality.  :)

Litigious

« Reply #2186 on: February 16, 2007, 06:45:55 AM »
We have Wild Turkeys here too, but in the liqour store.  ;)

Litigious

« Reply #2187 on: February 16, 2007, 09:22:34 AM »
I'm tracking an IP adress. Weird. It seems to have two different geographical locations.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2188 on: February 16, 2007, 10:25:20 AM »
Cleaning up some LPs in preparation for ripping/encoding them to my computer.

ozymandias

« Reply #2189 on: February 16, 2007, 11:59:12 AM »
I think robins (and Swedish robins are the same specie as the English, not the American robin) and wrens are among the funniest small birds. They really seem to have some kind of personality.  :)

Yes, the American Robin is quite different from the European version.  We're not due to see them in another month.   Another species we get at my feeders is the Tufted Titmouse!