Author Topic: are the 60's now over  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
are the 60's now over
« on: June 04, 2008, 08:18:19 PM »
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/daniel_finkelstein/article4061135.ece

for 40 years we have put up with hippies turned yuppies and civil rights activists stuck in the 60's, fighting battles that have become like listening to grandparents argue over something that happened 40 years ago and going on and on about it day after day.

now that killary has been thrown in the grave, could it actually be possible to move on and get with the 21st century ?

somebody please give the 60's flower children & black panther types directions to the nursing home so they can sit there and yell at the NBC nightly news far away from the rest of society that would like to move on. They had their chance in the 90's to show the country what they where made of and put their best man forward, if bill clinton was the best they could come up with, it's no wonder they are being put out to pasture. Bush/Cheney don't count as flower children, just two rich drunk white kids in the 60's who didn't go to woodstock because it didn't have a golf course and bar.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
Re: are the 60's now over
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 08:52:17 PM »
Not Finkelstein, please...

Offline Taimaat

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 01:14:37 AM »
The sixties flower children never really understood how society really works.  They were like children all their lives who never understood responsibility and what it means. The whole taking drugs to instantaneously “reach new spiritual heights” for instance, instead of working at in controlled manner, the way mystics and magicians do was a mistake. It lead to them believing that the world was something it is not.  It also lead to forcing drugs down their own kids throats so they could “be happy ad see the world  the way it isn't.”

They also could not handle people telling them the truth about how things are more so than the other generations. They were really coddled by their depression era parents who resented the hardships they had growing up, and so made it to easy for their children. For the flower children, the world could only be peace and love, and they did not believe they would ever have to make any sacrifices.  Hence, they tend to be lacking necessary qualities of a good leader.
The law of nature threefold
thou do unto others three times
what they have done unto thee.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law.
Love is the Law, Love Under Will.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 01:21:55 AM »
The world is as you see it, Taimaat.
The problem is there weren't enough drugs for everyone.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 05:40:15 PM »
The sixties flower children never really understood how society really works.  They were like children all their lives who never understood responsibility and what it means. The whole taking drugs to instantaneously “reach new spiritual heights” for instance, instead of working at in controlled manner, the way mystics and magicians do was a mistake. It lead to them believing that the world was something it is not.  It also lead to forcing drugs down their own kids throats so they could “be happy ad see the world  the way it isn't.”

They also could not handle people telling them the truth about how things are more so than the other generations. They were really coddled by their depression era parents who resented the hardships they had growing up, and so made it to easy for their children. For the flower children, the world could only be peace and love, and they did not believe they would ever have to make any sacrifices.  Hence, they tend to be lacking necessary qualities of a good leader.

their daddy's union job made life easy and when grandpa died they where handed money and when their parents died handed more money, government prints the stuff, ATM's spit it out, their children are special.

Teejay

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 06:45:44 AM »
The 60's have been over since the 1970's :p

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 02:18:30 PM »
Those so-called boomers you see in the adverts weren't real hippies. They were fairweather types who gave up when it got too hard to try and change things. There are still a few groups like the Rainbow Family who in their own way are trying to initiate real change, to interrupt the consumerist cycle of use and throw away and replace it with reuse/recycle, make do or do without, respect Nature, etc. And there are a few original individuals like Paul Krassner and Dana Beal who continue to speak out against injustice and the rape of civil liberties engineered by presidents since Johnson.

As folks used to say in the 1960s and still do today, "If you're in trouble, don't call a cop--call a hippie." Given the police state around US, those words ring even truer today.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 10:15:41 PM »
They'll be back again in 50 years.

ozymandias

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 03:40:19 PM »
Those so-called boomers you see in the adverts weren't real hippies. They were fairweather types who gave up when it got too hard to try and change things. There are still a few groups like the Rainbow Family who in their own way are trying to initiate real change, to interrupt the consumerist cycle of use and throw away and replace it with reuse/recycle, make do or do without, respect Nature, etc. And there are a few original individuals like Paul Krassner and Dana Beal who continue to speak out against injustice and the rape of civil liberties engineered by presidents since Johnson.

As folks used to say in the 1960s and still do today, "If you're in trouble, don't call a cop--call a hippie." Given the police state around US, those words ring even truer today.

Agreed, when the going got tough, a majority of hippy types found "religion" and embraced the establishment.  The ones who shouted the loudest and paraded their hippier than thou attitude for all the world to see.  The real 60's idealists are still fighting today, just not rubbing others faces in it.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 11:26:59 PM »

The real 60's idealists are still fighting today, just not rubbing others faces in it.

QFT

/tips hat to Ozy
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 02:40:02 PM »

Agreed, when the going got tough, a majority of hippy types found "religion" and embraced the establishment.  The ones who shouted the loudest and paraded their hippier than thou attitude for all the world to see.  The real 60's idealists are still fighting today, just not rubbing others faces in it.

The differance between the sell outs and the holdouts is the holdouts have more old family money to live off of or are working the welfare system.

they are living off the industrial machine while complaining about it, just an excuse to not work.

ozymandias

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 04:06:43 PM »

The differance between the sell outs and the holdouts is the holdouts have more old family money to live off of or are working the welfare system.

they are living off the industrial machine while complaining about it, just an excuse to not work.

Your entitled to your opinion, but, I know of many holdouts who are not in your narrow rigid view of things.   ::)  And I am one of those holdouts!   ::)  Free speech it rocks, deal with it!

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 09:07:03 PM »
you're on the internet, so not a holdout or you would be living like the unibomber did in a cabin in the woods eating acorns.

you can't be yelling down with the machine while using the machine to earn a living, buy a computer, hook into the power grid & internet.

I live in vermont, it's the land of phoney hippies, I just cracked up one day walking out of the grocery store and seeing two gray haired hippies loading stuff into their suburban, i guess they figured going for the Hummer was too much

I quickly learned not to go to new hampshire on saturday or sunday to a store because the shopping districts where over run by imported cars with vermont plates and kill bush bumper stickers, wal-mart would be jammed with the phonies who don't want wal-mart but will drive 30 to 60 miles in their jap smog machines to shop at one.

not a peep out of the phonies about running the skiing industry out of business because all it really comes down to is a all winter SUV smog machine convention, they ain't really GREEN here when it comes to soaking tourist for some green cash.

ozymandias

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 05:10:37 AM »
That depends upon your definition of holdout, I drive an efficient car, recycle religiously, believe in equality, love and peace almost all the time. (except when I'm mad) .  I do wear my hairshort for comfort and convenience.  I don't yell down machines, but, I do laugh when I hear about SUV's falling rapidly out of favor, especially with trade in value! 

Tell me about New Hampshire, I live in a town on the border and North Conway is full of shopping malls, cheap cigarettes, liquor and traffic.  And every fucking lottery game imaginable.  I saw two hummers the other day there.

I am pragmatic, I practice strict energy conservation, if it was practical for us, I'd have a roof full of solar panels and a wind turbine.  My wife is exploring geothermal heating systems.  I kept the ideals, I just don't do it to insanity. 

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 05:54:05 AM »
That depends upon your definition of holdout, I drive an efficient car, recycle religiously, believe in equality, love and peace almost all the time. (except when I'm mad) .  I do wear my hairshort for comfort and convenience.  I don't yell down machines, but, I do laugh when I hear about SUV's falling rapidly out of favor, especially with trade in value! 

Tell me about New Hampshire, I live in a town on the border and North Conway is full of shopping malls, cheap cigarettes, liquor and traffic.  And every fucking lottery game imaginable.  I saw two hummers the other day there.

I am pragmatic, I practice strict energy conservation, if it was practical for us, I'd have a roof full of solar panels and a wind turbine.  My wife is exploring geothermal heating systems. I kept the ideals, I just don't do it to insanity. 

It's a bit pricey in out lay but good in the long term.  I worked on a bunch of houses with it.  You my get a rebate from the utility or the government though to help off set the cost
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw