Educational

Author Topic: random drug tests in the work place  (Read 1365 times)

Offline jman

• Road warrior pimpdaddy of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
random drug tests in the work place
« on: March 03, 2008, 06:57:12 AM »
The other night I was at a friend's house and they were all smoking pot, however I didn't partake for the simple fact that I am looking for a job and I am afraid if I get hired for a job i really like and want, they'll do a drug test on me and find that weed in my system.

Also I think it's bullshit that companies perform random drug tests on their employees, what business is it there's what you do outside the company?! I also see as a waste of money. The only way I can see it happening is if it may be obvious you are high, there are behavioral issues, or productivity has suddenly gone down, otherwise I don't see the need for it.

What do you guys think? Are companies going too far prying into your business by giving out random drug tests? Personally I think it's violations of my privacy rights.

Sophgay

Re: random drug tests in the work place
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 06:59:41 AM »
I think they're going too far

Obviously if you're acting like a fucktard or it's affecting your work, then yes. But you'd think they'd do something about that anyway, regardless of whether said person is on drugs or not.
If someone just happens to be smoking something now and then, at home or with friends, big fucknig deal. They should stay out of it, unless it's affecting their job obviously. There are worse things people can do.

Offline jman

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 07:04:41 AM »
What i also love is companies will do absolutely nothing about bullying which in fact is more harmful to the work enviroment but yet be so adimant in their part in the "war on drugs" which is ridiculious BTW. Junkies don't need incarcerated, they need help, but thats for another thread.

Sophgay

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 07:05:17 AM »
Yeah more should be done about bullying in the workplace

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 07:11:24 AM »
alcohol is unhealthy and weed brownies are not. stupid laws.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline jman

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 07:14:44 AM »
alcohol is unhealthy and weed brownies are not. stupid laws.

actually the test also checks to see if you're coming into work drunk, which would be obvious anyways

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 07:15:48 AM »
what if you drank last night?
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Offline jman

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 07:16:55 AM »
hmmmmm, I don't know  ???

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 07:25:05 AM »
I see it as a gross invasion of privacy, but then I see drug laws in general as an unwarranted infringement on my personal freedoms.  Taking cannabis should be just the same as taking alcohol; a problem if you turn up to work under the influence and none of their business otherwise.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Kosmonaut

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 07:36:43 AM »
I think it is more of an American thing.
I have never been tested; the thought of it never bothered me when I was a weed head and looking for work many years ago.
It is an invasion of piracy, but if it is a common thing and you need work, then there's not much you can do.

I don't see the problem either: if you can do the work which you are being paid to do, then why does it matter if you are stoned out of your head?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 07:48:49 AM »
I don't like it what so ever :grrr:  If it's off hours how is it different from drinking a s long as you do not come into work high or drunk. The tests usually just test for the break down products in your system not if you are high when tested.  I take anxiety meds that show up on these things and as much as they say just show them the Rx I believe it's none of their business and that they don't care about the Rx  and consider you guilty or defective for having to take them.  Over the years I had to take one when I got a nail though my hand and applied for workman's comp. Luckily at the time I was on no meds. this whole topic really pisses me off
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 08:07:24 AM »
This is disturbing:

The government has set itself on a collision course with civil rights campaigners and lawyers by confirming its intention to introduce mandatory drug-testing of offenders and people under arrest - and to axe the right of defendants to opt for trial by jury.

Maybe they should just adopt compulsory drug testing for everyone.  They could test people at the same time they take a DNA sample for the upcoming compulsory DNA database, and at a stroke incarcerate a tenth of the working population.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 09:54:14 AM »
This is disturbing:

The government has set itself on a collision course with civil rights campaigners and lawyers by confirming its intention to introduce mandatory drug-testing of offenders and people under arrest - and to axe the right of defendants to opt for trial by jury.

Maybe they should just adopt compulsory drug testing for everyone.  They could test people at the same time they take a DNA sample for the upcoming compulsory DNA database, and at a stroke incarcerate a tenth of the working population.

That is far more than disturbing it's outrageous I can't believe it was even suggested
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 10:23:28 AM »
I do not smoke weed at work, it is done on my own time.   I too feel that drug tests are an invasion of my privacy.   Employers over here love to violate your privacy, unfortunately.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 10:49:03 AM »
i love your sig, Peter. :P

umm, i don't understand the quote. the disturbing quote.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar