Educational

Author Topic: random drug tests in the work place  (Read 1361 times)

ozymandias

Re: random drug tests in the work place
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2008, 07:52:27 PM »
I have to take a drug test every time I take a nursing job.  Fact of life in the medical field.   ::)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2008, 08:33:44 PM »
most companys out there doing the drug testing could care less about recreational drug use, as long as it doesnt affect your performance at work. the tests are actually required by their insurance companys. if you get hurt at work and they find drugs in your system, the insurance company isnt liable to pay any claims(happened to me and i even ended up paying for the drug test, WTF?).  also many insurance companys will give big discounts on health insurance to companys that agree to do pre-employment and random tests. most insurance companys require drug testing to be eligible for group health insurance.
In Ct if they don't require one on hire they can't make you take one to get workman's comp which is why so many require it on hire now ::)
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2008, 08:47:10 PM »
... they can't make you take one to get workman's comp...

thats awesome, should be like that everywhere! but like you said, theyll find a way around it.
Now most places give them to you here because of that and they do things like test everyone when they change insurance so they can enforce it

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2008, 10:51:23 PM »
yes its getting harder and harder to get a job i can see, if you want to do drugs just quit right around the time you get hired and after you get hired start doing them again

Some of them do hair follicle drug tests, which can tell which drugs you have taken and when in the past six to eight months.  That is the kind of test my husband had to take for a job.  I read that this was the reason Britney Spears shaved her own head, because she believed that she was going to be ordered to take a hair follicle drug test when she and her ex-husband were battling for custody of their sons.

What kind of job was this?

Computer programmer.

What kind of job are you looking for?

Offline jman

• Road warrior pimpdaddy of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2008, 10:52:12 PM »
a simiilar type job...

system admin or comptuer tech

I haven't done any drugs lately despite ample opportunity, its just this whole thing pisses me off, it;s none of their fucking business.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2008, 11:00:27 PM »
a simiilar type job...

system admin or comptuer tech

I haven't done any drugs lately despite ample opportunity, its just this whole thing pisses me off, it;s none of their fucking business.

I agree that it's none of their business unless it affects your job performance in some way, but a lot of them are requiring it these days.

The test was done at an independent drug testing place, and they had a list for all prescription medications, so prescription medications were safe to take.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2008, 06:20:07 AM »
It would be an interesting experiment to introduce small amounts of cannabinoids into the drinking water or the cafeteria food at a large corporate office which had a random drug testing and mandatory sacking policy; not enough for people to notice, but enough for it to show up in tests.  What would the company do when 80% of it's employees suddenly tested positive?  Sacking them all would be corporate suicide.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2008, 06:23:31 AM »
weed sucks.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2008, 06:25:08 AM »
weed sucks.

You're supposed to suck on the weed, not the other way around.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2008, 06:31:20 AM »
It would be an interesting experiment to introduce small amounts of cannabinoids into the drinking water or the cafeteria food at a large corporate office which had a random drug testing and mandatory sacking policy; not enough for people to notice, but enough for it to show up in tests.  What would the company do when 80% of it's employees suddenly tested positive?  Sacking them all would be corporate suicide.

They'd keep the good ones saying it was a faulty test and sack the rest including all the support workers(janitors,cooks,ect)

George Bernard Shaw

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2008, 06:34:39 AM »
weed sucks.

i did more than suck. i ate the dang thing.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2008, 06:42:51 AM »
weed sucks.

Takes a lot more when you eat it than when smoke it

George Bernard Shaw

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2008, 06:54:26 AM »
more what?

it was strong as hell. i'm still recovering 11 hours later... feel a little broken. :(
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2008, 07:00:16 AM »
more what?

it was strong as hell. i'm still recovering 11 hours later... feel a little broken. :(

How much did you eat?

George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2008, 07:34:53 AM »
weed sucks.

Takes a lot more when you eat it than when smoke it

That really depends on several factors.

First is the freshness of the product, but the growing conditions affect not only the concentrations of active ingredients, but the balance of certain ones. The more volatile oils, which the digestive tract can break down easily, escape to evaporation quickly if not ingested soon after the plant stops growing.

Another point about the most volatile oils is that they are only present as hormones during the end of the plant's reproductive cycle and if the herb is cut at anytime other than the flowering stage, the less volatile (and more difficult to digest) growth hormones are the most prominent.

People who use typical dried, commercially available herb for teas and cakes are not able to release the oils as efficiently (especially if the oils have already evaporated) as when the herb is freshly cut and only partially dried. Not even mentioning the fact that often commercially available herb has been cut for a year or more before it reaches its destination, often stored in terrible conditions, alternating heat and moisture levels. There is barely anything of the essential oils left.

Cut it when it is flowering and dry it for about a day in shade, then make your tea and cakes and teacakes and caketeas and .......

I have also heard that there is something "special" that happens when combined with chocolate, but I have no first hand experience with this effect or if it actually does make a difference.. I do know that herbal brownies are popular, but I always thought it was because the flavors of chocolate and sweeteners were better at hiding the flavors of the herb.

Kind of funny giving a stealth-bomb brownie to an uptight asshole and watching him get stoned.

:D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 07:38:08 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.