Educational

Author Topic: Skimp or Don't Skimp  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Skimp or Don't Skimp
« on: March 09, 2021, 04:28:52 PM »
I'm a total cheapskate so I feel like I skimp on most everything. I'm curious when other people are happy to skimp, and when it's worth it to spend more. 
:gopher:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Skimp or Don't Skimp
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 04:30:55 PM »
I skimp on household cleaning supplies, except for laundry and dishwasher detergent. I really like the smell of the name brand laundry soap I use, and I've never used a cheap dishwasher detergent that doesn't leave film on the glasses.  :dunno:

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 07:58:00 PM »
I can't skimp much on anything except cleaning supplies, bird food, cat food, and a stash of ramen for my lunches at work (or at home)...

I don't skimp on movies, and stuff I add to my collections... most expensive movie I have is an out of print edition of Fallen Angels on Blu-Ray.

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 03:06:45 AM »
I hate paying full proce for anything.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 03:52:20 PM »
I am constantly looking for the best prices on everything and anything I am considering buying but usually I don't end up getting the cheaper option, just the cheapest pricing of the exact product I want.

But OMG, it's anxiety inducing. I can go on for weeks looking.

For groceries and supplies, never. I pick what I want. I don't like change.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 06:02:03 PM »
I feel like I both do and don't skimp on food. I don't skimp on pet food. I do skimp on our food because I shop at a discount grocery store, but I don't skimp because I don't set a strict budget limit and buy whatever we need, while knowing I'm getting the best price in town. Our grocery bill is still a little but higher than what I've read is average. I don't know if that's because I count household supplies as groceries since they're mixed into the same bill. It could also be because other people don't include take-out and restaurants as part of their grocery bill and we've never been the type to eat out. I do buy a couple of name brand treats for the guys at walmart, but there's no cheaper off-brand alternative of those to try.  :dunno:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 07:35:18 PM »
I do all my own cooking and only order in food every couple months. I figure that makes up for the fact I get the expensive cuts of meat and fresh berries and the good chocolate. Not to mention the expensive gluten free breads/buns/bagels. Of the things I do like, though, I get multiples when they're on sale and stock up as much as the cupboard will fit.

Clothes, on the other hand, I wear until they fall off me.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 08:01:09 PM »
I don't skimp on toilet paper. Only the best for my butt.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 08:30:34 PM »
I do all my own cooking and only order in food every couple months. I figure that makes up for the fact I get the expensive cuts of meat and fresh berries and the good chocolate. Not to mention the expensive gluten free breads/buns/bagels. Of the things I do like, though, I get multiples when they're on sale and stock up as much as the cupboard will fit.

Clothes, on the other hand, I wear until they fall off me.

I do pick the more expensive meats, but I rarely eat the meats so I figure it balances out when averaging a grocery bill for three.  :dunno:

Years ago I used to skimp on toilet paper but Sugarbutt complained about it, so I only half skimp.  :lol1:  I buy the soft stuff, but I still buy it at aldi because it's a little more than dollar cheaper per pack than the same size name brand equivalent.

I am constantly looking for the best prices on everything and anything I am considering buying but usually I don't end up getting the cheaper option, just the cheapest pricing of the exact product I want.

I do that when buying gifts.  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 08:33:23 PM by Gopher Gary »

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 03:08:11 AM »

Aloe Vera or Coconut Oil.  It's the only way to go.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 04:52:15 PM »
I skimp on my own personal care products. I've just never been picky about that sort of stuff and while I consistently use the same things, I consistently use cheap stuff. I don't skimp on the guy's personal care products because they have specific things they like. I use a larger number of products than them anyway, so I may still actually spend more on myself.  :dunno:

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2021, 04:04:11 AM »
I've probably mentioned it on another thread.  One thing you don;t skimp on is washing machines.  Cheap washing machines are always a bad buy.  Get something quality - a Mielle or a Bosch.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2021, 05:05:28 AM »
I've probably mentioned it on another thread.  One thing you don;t skimp on is washing machines.  Cheap washing machines are always a bad buy.  Get something quality - a Mielle or a Bosch.
What about Fisher & Paykel?
Tek'ma'tae

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2021, 06:01:26 AM »
What about Fisher & Paykel?

Don't know.  But if they have brushless DC motors, a good user interface and a big long warranty I'd be willing to consider them.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2021, 07:57:33 PM »
I've had my Fisher & Paykel machine for 7 years. It's very simple to use. They've probably got advanced user interfaces by now.

I don't skimp on shampoo and conditioner. I buy it from the chemist because it's guaranteed they have it. It's called T-Gel and it treats dandruff and other skin conditions.
Tek'ma'tae