Author Topic: Skimp or Don't Skimp  (Read 1696 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Skimp or Don't Skimp
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2021, 08:05:34 PM »
I don't use coupons. There's so few name brand Items we use, and it just never occurs to me to look for coupons for those. I've seen shows about extreme couponing, and felt a bit envious at their skill in acquiring so much stuff for free. I sort of got the impression the time and work behind extreme couponing is like a full time job though, and they had a ton of stuff I wouldn't want. I still should probably put more effort into trying to use coupons for the stuff I do want.  :dunno:
:gopher:

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2021, 05:05:37 AM »
I've had my Fisher & Paykel machine for 7 years. It's very simple to use. They've probably got advanced user interfaces by now.

I don't skimp on shampoo and conditioner. I buy it from the chemist because it's guaranteed they have it. It's called T-Gel and it treats dandruff and other skin conditions.

Our previous one was a Mielle.  When it stopped working we were horrified but then we worked out that we'd bought it when we first moved in together and it was nearly 20 years old.   It cost us about £500 back around 1998. 

I asked my wife how often she cleaned out the filter.  "It has a filter?" was her reply.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2021, 09:58:27 PM »
I have the washing machine that came with the house, and it's a situation waiting to happen. It's on an unsteady raised floor that was rotted from a leak from the bathroom above. I bought a sheet of thick plywood and had a guy friend help me position it under the washer. But the washer still shakes like a train running through the basement and it's getting worse. Out of alignment I guess but it's way beyond my mechanical understanding to fix. It's going to die any moment I'm sure.

I suppose I really need to rebuild the floor but I can't lift or barely move the damn machine by myself. There's no physical space to rearrange it and with the cub toilet training, I can't afford to have it out of commission for more than a couple days.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2021, 05:34:01 PM »
I don't skimp on petrol. I've been told by numerous mechanics to get Vortex or Ultimate (whichever the name is) because it'll be better for my car. Once I got a bad batch though, and the injectors had to be taken out and cleaned.

It's expensive but I hope worth it.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2021, 11:44:04 PM »
:-\

I'm not aware of that kind of differences in the petrol offered here.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2021, 06:09:12 AM »
I remember when it used to be only leaded petrol.

Do you only get one type of petrol and diesel? At some petrol stations here, there are 3 types of unleaded fuel plus diesel. Once I almost put diesel in my car but because the nozzle didn't fit properly, I realised my mistake. My stepdad put petrol in their diesel Captiva. Mum was spitting mad because they had to pay for it to be drained.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2021, 09:34:30 AM »
I don't skimp on gas either, but I also don't buy the most expensive stuff. I get what Sugarbutt told me is recommended for my car, which happens to be the mid-grade fuel.  :dunno:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2021, 03:11:46 PM »
I don't skimp on petrol. I've been told by numerous mechanics to get Vortex or Ultimate (whichever the name is) because it'll be better for my car. Once I got a bad batch though, and the injectors had to be taken out and cleaned.

Have heard the best way to avoid bad gas is to use a busy gas station, as their holding tanks are likely to be refilled with fresh fuel often. For the past year have only been getting about a quarter tank at a time. Don't drive much, so was worried about it sitting in the car too long.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2021, 12:05:29 AM »
I remember when it used to be only leaded petrol.

Do you only get one type of petrol and diesel? At some petrol stations here, there are 3 types of unleaded fuel plus diesel. Once I almost put diesel in my car but because the nozzle didn't fit properly, I realised my mistake. My stepdad put petrol in their diesel Captiva. Mum was spitting mad because they had to pay for it to be drained.

No, there are octane ratings available, so maybe that's what you meant and I misunderstood. There used to be more but the low-octane ones are no longer offered.

Plus there's at least one ethanol mix on offer. There used to be more but the environmentalists now focus on hybrids instead.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2021, 12:06:35 AM »

Have heard the best way to avoid bad gas is to use a busy gas station, as their holding tanks are likely to be refilled with fresh fuel often. For the past year have only been getting about a quarter tank at a time. Don't drive much, so was worried about it sitting in the car too long.

It shouldn't be too much of a problem if the tank and fuel lines are OK.

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2021, 09:01:41 PM »
I don't skimp on toothbrushes. Even though I go through one every couple of months I still buy the more expensive ones.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2021, 06:00:37 AM »
I don't skimp on toothbrushes. Even though I go through one every couple of months I still buy the more expensive ones.

I did the Bob Dylan on toothbrushes and went electric about 10 years ago and my gums have thanked me ever since.  Also have a good quality water flosser.  It's the best £60 I've spent.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 06:02:57 AM by FourAceDeal »
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2021, 12:56:32 PM »

I use the free toothbrushes the hygenist gives me, so I totally skimp there.  :thumbup:

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2021, 04:14:16 PM »
Despite my obsessive Fire Agate and saving money for a ring, I still skimp on food. Damn, one obsession has replaced another.. I collect action figures now.  :trollskull:
:skywarp:

Offline Dirty Big Yoke

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Gloriously big heap of shite
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2021, 04:32:21 PM »
I've been brought up to be quite frugal, so it's something that's natural to me.

For example:
- I spend the least on shoes/clothes and usually wear them even when they start to develop holes.
- I do the same for day to day things like food/cleaning stuff etc, I usually always get the cheapest stuff or buy in bulk.
- I don't really buy socks and underwear, I usually wait until Christmas when I get them as presents  :LOL:
- I much rather repair things myself rather than spend money getting it done by someone else/to buy replacements. The most ambitious example was making a replacement PSU for a C64 by getting a 9v AC and 5v DC adapter I had laying around the house, soldering them to a DIN socket. It looked rather janky as it meant plugging in two adapters, but it all worked fine without causing a fire.  :LOL: