Educational

Author Topic: Skimp or Don't Skimp  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Skimp or Don't Skimp
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2021, 05:31:14 PM »
- I much rather repair things myself rather than spend money getting it done by someone else/to buy replacements.

That's a good one. I stink at fixing things, but sugarbutt is handy although he's too decrepit to do heavy duty stuff anymore. When I think of not paying other people, food comes to mind first but there's other stuff. We don't pay for yard work or car washes either.  :thumbup:
:gopher:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2021, 07:28:35 PM »
I don't skimp on socks, underwear or bras. I've recently replaced my old underwear for new stuff and I feel better for it.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2021, 08:31:24 PM »
I don't skimp on stationery supplies. Recently I spent half an hour in Officeworks stocking up on pens and also some left-handed scissors.

I bought the more expensive ball-point pens because I like the way they smoothly write.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2021, 08:02:32 PM »
I do skimp on clothes. I volunteer at the Salvos so I get to see the clothes that go through to the shop floor. T-shirts for $5? Yep. Pants for $7? Sure.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2022, 06:23:56 PM »
I don't skimp on air filters but I also don't choose the most expensive air filters. The difference with the most expensive ones is they're suppose to filter viruses. That seemed silly to me and I figured if one of us has a virus then an air filter probably isn't going to stop us from infecting each other. The last two times I've bought filters, they didn't have the ones I use so I bought the most expensive ones instead. I write the date on the filters but I don't really need to because Sugarbutt usually starts having sneezing fits a couple days before they're due for a change and that tells me it's time to deep dust the house. This time I purposely bought the most expensive ones and I'll keep getting them from now on, because twice now he's made it all the way to big dusting day without an allergy attack and I think it's because of the filters. I don't even know what he's allergic to since he doesn't seem to have seasonal or outdoor allergies, it's only inside. I once read the majority of household dust is skin flakes so he might be allergic to that. I've also considered he may be allergic to dogs, but there's really no point in ever mentioning that.  :lol1:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2022, 07:50:14 PM »
^I've been tested for reactions to allergens and I'm allergic to cats and dust. We have both.

I'd say your Sugarbutt is allergic to dust as well.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2022, 09:39:43 PM »
^I've been tested for reactions to allergens and I'm allergic to cats and dust. We have both.

I'd say your Sugarbutt is allergic to dust as well.

He definitely is, at least household dust anyway. Sometimes he dumbfounds me because I dust every week and every now and then he'll say something like, that's not even dusty. I'll say I know and it never will be dusty because I dust it.  :tard: A long time ago I told him about the skin flake thing and I make jokes that he's allergic to himself, or I joke that he's allergic to me.  :lol1:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2022, 08:26:52 PM »
I don't skimp on chocolate, especially this time of year. Red Tulip, Lindt and Cadbury are my favourites. Although I went to the English lolly shop on the foreshore to buy their brand of chocolate covered aniseed rings and some mint chocolates for my parents.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 08:28:42 PM by renaeden »
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2022, 05:44:37 PM »
Also when it comes to dust, I don't skimp on swiffers. I once tried the cheaper walmart variation but they didn't seem to grab the dust like the name brand product. My swiffer duster actually looks dingy after doing the whole house, but the walmart one didn't really look dingy so I just assumed it was scattering the dirt more than picking it up. I think swiffers are absurdly overpriced, but I also think they're wildly genius awesome sauce and I love them. :heart:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2022, 08:50:15 PM »
The only carpet we have is a mat in the lounge room and it's huge. We vacuum that. The rest of the house I sweep with an indoor broom and Kayleigh steam mops it. I've used a swiffer before but their replacements are expensive and I find the broom works just as well.

I don't skimp on bedding. Once I did and the sheet and pillowcases pilled. Horrible. I like to go to Spotlight and buy from there. They have a big range to choose from and it's quality bedding. My quilt cost $200 and it's been worth it because the insides don't bunch up and it's really warm.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2022, 10:28:53 PM »
The only carpet we have is a mat in the lounge room and it's huge. We vacuum that. The rest of the house I sweep with an indoor broom and Kayleigh steam mops it. I've used a swiffer before but their replacements are expensive and I find the broom works just as well.

I meant the swiffer hand dusters. I use them on most everything, even the ceilings and walls. I don't use the swiffer floor products, even though we don't have carpets or rugs either. We have a robovac that runs daily and once a week I'll use the big vacuum when I mop. I also have a tiny flat mop I bought at the dollar tree. It will take swiffer pads, but instead I bought the reusable pad that attaches with velcro. I can wash it out in the sink and it's perfect for quick spot mopping in the kitchen. We have a steam mop but I only use it to clean the grout, and I'm not at all impressed with it as a mop because it's cumbersome and takes too long. I have a big flip mop and it's faster and easier to mop the house with that. :dunno:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 10:32:08 PM by Gopher Gary »

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2022, 10:36:13 PM »
Oh yeah, I totally skimped on that teeny tiny dollar tree flat mop.  :zoinks: I think I had to buy all the pieces individualy, but still that's only three bucks for a mop I've used a gozillion times. I would never want to try to mop the whole house with it, but I use it almost every evening in the kitchen.  :2thumbsup:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2022, 02:17:30 AM »
I don't skimp on soap for the shower. I always get Dove because it doesn't dry my skin out. I ran out recently and didn't have any Dove in the the cupboard. I only had some weird country flowers soap. I used that for a day then I went and bought the soap I like.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2022, 11:51:54 AM »
I skimp on cards. I get them two for a dollar at the dollar tree. I'm also growing into skimping on soap pumps. I bought one for the master bath to match the new towels but it's already messing up. The one in the kitchen is from the dollar tree and it gets used a gozillion times per day, so today I bought another one just like it.  :2thumbsup:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2022, 03:33:26 PM »
I skimp on cards. I get them two for a dollar at the dollar tree. I'm also growing into skimping on soap pumps. I bought one for the master bath to match the new towels but it's already messing up. The one in the kitchen is from the dollar tree and it gets used a gozillion times per day, so today I bought another one just like it.  :2thumbsup:

If I get one of those hand soap pumps that works well I refill it forever. Even if I have all I need and I get a new one that works well, it gets a saved place until I need it.
My kids like smelly oils added to theirs. Son likes pepperment oil, daughter like lavender essence. So, I buy new ones at times.
Skimping to me is reusing.

I saw a meme with an old Grandmother saying:
"This is bad kids. You're about to find out why I washed and saved my aluminum foil, made quilts and new clothes out of our worn out clothes and found other things to make out of old tires and shoes. We're almost there, again."

Kind of scary.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.