Educational

Author Topic: Bucket list! IF you had the means where are some places you'd love to go?  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
Japan
France (Longer than just 15 hours)
Germany
Ireland
Sweden
Canada
West Coast United States (That isn't Dodger Territory)
Pakistan (Because I haven't been back since 1995)
South Korea
Norway
Roswell, New Mexico
Ukraine
Hong Kong
Australia
New Zealand
Spain
Iceland
Denmark
Zambia
Botswana (To visit a British Ex-pat that I became acquainted with)
South Africa (Mainly Cape Town, I've been to Johannesburg yet never Cape Town)
Netherlands (Van Gogh Museum)
Russian Federation
Lithuania
Poland
Czech Republic
Lafayette, Indiana

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.

IF you visit Californiastan, see as much of the Sierra Nevada mts that you can. I'd recommend seeing Kings Canyon, Sequoia National Forest, Yosemite, Owens Valley, Mammoth Lakes and Lake Tahoe.

Lafayette, Indiana

:dunno:

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
Lafayette was the inspiration for a fictional town in my writing. That's why I want to go visit it...

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
I've travelled a lot already. I'd like to take my family on a big OS trip if/when I have the $$$$. The one regret I have is not travelling to Egypt while it was still reasonably safe to do so.

I tend to find travel for its own sake tedious and stressful. There are some things worth travelling for though, like (for example) the British Museum.

I stopped in the Egypt airport 3-4 years ago around the time of the uprisings and the atmosphere was far from serene. I did not feel safe there in the airport for two hours waiting and it was not until I was about an hour in the air after leaving was I at ease

Exactly!

There are some excellent Egyptian exhibits at some of the big museums I've been to. No need to play big-fat-walking-target in Egypt.

I've been to Istanbul. That was Middle East enough for me even if it was technically still Europe. Amazing food and history.

Iceland I did a 24 hour stopover. Ended up just walking around Reykjavik after a long sleep. Still interesting. Beautiful country and so clean. Nice place to go if you like fresh seafood.

Vietnam I just stayed in Hanoi. Amazing food.

I'm boring. I hate sightseeing. I'd rather wander around and look for interesting food. //edit: and go to museums.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 04:30:56 AM by Minister of silly walks »
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Lots of places. Right now, though, Italy, especially southern Italy.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
Home.  ;)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
Always wanted to visit Moscow.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Years ago I saw a travel show where the presenter guy went to Moscow. He practically said not to bother because some of the worthwhile places to visit he wasn't allowed into and the people there were quite rude.

Hopefully that's changed.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Years ago I saw a travel show where the presenter guy went to Moscow. He practically said not to bother because some of the worthwhile places to visit he wasn't allowed into and the people there were quite rude.

I haven't been to Moscow but I've spent a bit of time in Eastern Europe and people maybe aren't as "polite" as they generally are in the UK or the US or even Australia.

But that's an important part of the experience of travelling to new places with different cultures. Do you really want people in Moscow to be polite and say "heff a nice dayski"? (apologies for pathetic attempt at typing with a Russian accent).

It's important to do your research ahead of time and work out what you want to see, and what you need to do in order to see them. You might need to book a tour, for example. Or there might be horrendous queues at certain times of the year (as there were at the Louvre and at the Vatican Museum when I went there). Although I'd imagine that there are horrendous queues year-round these days.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.

IF you visit Californiastan, see as much of the Sierra Nevada mts that you can. I'd recommend seeing Kings Canyon, Sequoia National Forest, Yosemite, Owens Valley, Mammoth Lakes and Lake Tahoe.

Lafayette, Indiana

:dunno:

I'd love to visit Mt. Shasta or Lassen Peak!   
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
Iceland is on my top of the bucket list. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot

I haven't been to Moscow but I've spent a bit of time in Eastern Europe and people maybe aren't as "polite" as they generally are in the UK or the US or even Australia.

But that's an important part of the experience of travelling to new places with different cultures. Do you really want people in Moscow to be polite and say "heff a nice dayski"? (apologies for pathetic attempt at typing with a Russian accent).

It's important to do your research ahead of time and work out what you want to see, and what you need to do in order to see them. You might need to book a tour, for example. Or there might be horrendous queues at certain times of the year (as there were at the Louvre and at the Vatican Museum when I went there). Although I'd imagine that there are horrendous queues year-round these days.

I've frequently found that the supposed "rudeness" in parts of Eastern Europe is more about not sharing a common language, i.e. English.

As opposed to Paris, where they are actually rude and don't want to speak your language. :P

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore

I've frequently found that the supposed "rudeness" in parts of Eastern Europe is more about not sharing a common language, i.e. English.

As opposed to Paris, where they are actually rude and don't want to speak your language. :P

I lived in a Central European country for a year not long after the fall of communism and subsequent independence, and I travelled around a few other formerly communist countries. I always put the abruptness of people in customer service roles down to a certain lack of customer-focus that is inherent to communism, i.e. customers are a pain in the arse rather than your bread and butter. I always found people in South-East-Asia to be incredibly polite even where they don't speak a word of English. Even in Vietnam, which kind of blows my hypothesis about communism out of the water.

My girlfriend (American) at the time knew a few languages and she could speak fluently to people in their own language most of the time. It didn't seem to help.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot

I lived in a Central European country for a year not long after the fall of communism and subsequent independence, and I travelled around a few other formerly communist countries. I always put the abruptness of people in customer service roles down to a certain lack of customer-focus that is inherent to communism, i.e. customers are a pain in the arse rather than your bread and butter. I always found people in South-East-Asia to be incredibly polite even where they don't speak a word of English. Even in Vietnam, which kind of blows my hypothesis about communism out of the water.

My girlfriend (American) at the time knew a few languages and she could speak fluently to people in their own language most of the time. It didn't seem to help.

Well, my experience is limited and not that close to the fall of communism.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
Are jailbait holes an appropriate answer?