Author Topic: Bucket list! IF you had the means where are some places you'd love to go?  (Read 1331 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Years ago I saw a travel show where the presenter guy went to Moscow. He practically said not to bother because some of the worthwhile places to visit he wasn't allowed into and the people there were quite rude.

Hopefully that's changed.

I haven't been to Moscow but I've spent a bit of time in Eastern Europe and people maybe aren't as "polite" as they generally are in the UK or the US or even Australia.

But that's an important part of the experience of travelling to new places with different cultures. Do you really want people in Moscow to be polite and say "heff a nice dayski"? (apologies for pathetic attempt at typing with a Russian accent).

It's important to do your research ahead of time and work out what you want to see, and what you need to do in order to see them. You might need to book a tour, for example. Or there might be horrendous queues at certain times of the year (as there were at the Louvre and at the Vatican Museum when I went there). Although I'd imagine that there are horrendous queues year-round these days.

I've frequently found that the supposed "rudeness" in parts of Eastern Europe is more about not sharing a common language, i.e. English.

As opposed to Paris, where they are actually rude and don't want to speak your language. :P

One of those stereotypical assumptions regarding the French that has been used in a number of movie scripts.

Hilarious!

Stereotypes are not invoked from thin air, as evil as it may seem to remark upon one.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days

Maybe a tour of old European majestic architectural masterpieces (kind of a list here!), but mostly, my list involves the Western Hemisphere.

I have seen many things over thirty five states here (I used to keep count) but I was often within a few miles of something I really wanted to see and was "RUSHED"  in our travels so that it was impossible to turn off and stop for a day or two. I would like to make up for that.

There is enough to see in this country alone to keep me busy for years and if I live long enough, I want to see more of the Aztec and Mayan cultures, then maybe a look or two at the Inca things that still exist in those lands.

I want to fish in the Amazon and eat what I catch (Can not eat local fish catch here due to horrid environmental crimes committed in years past - still not safe after forty something years of regulation against constant dumping of crap into the waterways. I do not drink native tap water either, nor do I give tap water to our animals. We drink purified water and I have done so since I was in my teens, no matter where I lived)!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Iceland is on my top of the bucket list.

Same.

...and Ikaria.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
I've heard several people try to justify the French attitude to their language, i.e. "isn't it rude to travel to a country with a foreign language and expect them to speak your language?".

Well... no. The French are mostly pissed off that their language isn't the international language and are known for getting stroppy in other countries where hotel staff speak English but not French. In a tourist city you need to be prepared to speak the language that most tourists speak as a second language, or at least be prepared to try to communicate with people when you don't have a common language. I wasn't going to spend 6 months learning French in preparation for a 3 day stay in Paris.

What struck me was that in London museums the exhibits would be labelled in several languages including French. At the Louvre the exhibits were labelled in French only.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Back to York, London and Aachen/Aix-la-Chappelle.

Ooooh, do take a day of rest on your way from the UK to Aachen in my humble village. Or we could meet in York, London or Aachen. Köln is also nice.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Mainly northern Europe. Scotland, Ireland, Iceland, Scandinavia, Germany. Ardennen in Belgium. Would love going back to Italy too.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
Iceland is on my top of the bucket list.

Same.

...and Ikaria.

A lot shorter flight than to Hawaii if I want to see volcanoes in action.  And probably cheaper!   What is Ikaria???
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Years ago I saw a travel show where the presenter guy went to Moscow. He practically said not to bother because some of the worthwhile places to visit he wasn't allowed into and the people there were quite rude.

Hopefully that's changed.

I haven't been to Moscow but I've spent a bit of time in Eastern Europe and people maybe aren't as "polite" as they generally are in the UK or the US or even Australia.

But that's an important part of the experience of travelling to new places with different cultures. Do you really want people in Moscow to be polite and say "heff a nice dayski"? (apologies for pathetic attempt at typing with a Russian accent).

It's important to do your research ahead of time and work out what you want to see, and what you need to do in order to see them. You might need to book a tour, for example. Or there might be horrendous queues at certain times of the year (as there were at the Louvre and at the Vatican Museum when I went there). Although I'd imagine that there are horrendous queues year-round these days.

I've frequently found that the supposed "rudeness" in parts of Eastern Europe is more about not sharing a common language, i.e. English.

As opposed to Paris, where they are actually rude and don't want to speak your language. :P

One of those stereotypical assumptions regarding the French that has been used in a number of movie scripts.

Hilarious!

Stereotypes are not invoked from thin air, as evil as it may seem to remark upon one.

This one is based on experience. Parisians can be quite rude in comparison with the rest of the country.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Back to York, London and Aachen/Aix-la-Chappelle.

Ooooh, do take a day of rest on your way from the UK to Aachen in my humble village. Or we could meet in York, London or Aachen. Köln is also nice.

I was in Aachen for a two-day workshop last September. :orly:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Rather more specifically, its the Wahgi valley area in papua new guinea that I want to visit, to do some research, taking with me, given the unlimited funding, both LC-MS, GC-MS and one of those portable NMR machines along with some of my glassware and solvents.  And of course some TLC plates and staining reagents.

There is a mushroom there, the natives know it as nonda gegwants nyimbil, meaning in the native language 'left handed  penis' because thats what they think it looks like, a theresa may, and they believe it must be picked with the left hand.

The unusual part, the really interesting bit is that its a powerfully psychotropic, hallucinogenic species, and the weird bit, is that its a member of the Boletus family. Boletus manicus (Heim et. al.)
And it must contain some incredibly potent compounds, and can't be something we are familiar with, such as DMT, 5-methoxy-DMT, baeocystin, psilocybin/psilocin. It was analyzed but with primitive  technique, using paper chromatography and presumably something like Van Urk or Erlichs reagent; for three spots were detected, showing trace quantities  of three unidentified indolic compounds. There are plenty of psychoactive indole derivatives, tryptamines like DMT and psilocybin known, as well as many synthetic tryptamines not found in the natural world.  LSD and  the naturally occurring lysergic acid hydroxyethylamide, and lysergic acid amide (ergine) found produced by a symbiotic fungus in the seeds of the morning glories, hawaiian baby woodrose and the aztec Badoh Negro/ololiuqui, produced not by the plant but the endophytic clavicipitalean fungus, which cannot be grown in culture as it requires the plant. The seeds are psychoactive, not wholly dissimilar to LSD.

Boletus manicus showed only very small amounts of whatever these three indolic compounds  are, which rules out psilocybin immediately on potency grounds, and they must be nearly as potent as LSD, active fully at a couple of hundred micrograms and very powerfully at half a milligram.

So, its really got my attention piqued. I REALLY would love to discern the chemical structures  of these three indoles. Because they are quite likely new to science, or else not known in nature.

And while I'm at it, I'd both collect spores to try and grow the mushrooms, as well as cuttings of the local nearby trees because members of the Boletus family are mycorrhizal, I.e  growing in association with tree species, forming intimate super-fine networks of hyphae around and penetrating the tiny fiber-like rootlets at the end of roots, each supplying the other with nutrients they need, in a symbiosis.

So I'd grow the trees from cuttings and attempt to infect them with cultures from the spores germinated on agar plates or liquid culture, as well as taking samples of the mushroom, and of course, trying it out on myself. I really want to know what is in Nonda Gegwants Nyimbil, it would be a totally fascinating piece of field research and I'd love to be the one to make the discovery. Reportedly it causes, as well as visual hallucinations, auditory distortions. Thats unusual, and I know of one tryptamine well known for it. Namely N,N-diisopropyltryptamine, the typical effects of the psychedelic tryptamines are mediated through their properties as  agonists of the 5HT2a type of serotonin receptors, although also many have quite pronounced effects as 5HT1a and 5HT2c receptor agonists (5HT stands for 5-hydroxytryptamine, the chemical name for the neurotransmitter serotonin)

Although its binding affinities for 5HT2a, 5HT1a and 5HT2c receptors is well known (low single digit micromolar in each case save for 5HT1a receptors to which diisopropyltryptamine binds with a Ki value of  just over 500 nanomolar affinity), there must be something else going on to cause the unique auditory distortions induced by DIPT that aren't a feature of the other well known tryptamine psychedelics or ergolines.

And as  a result it would  be fascinating to figure out the structure of these three indolic compounds  found in the hallucinogenic  Boletus manicus (Boletus isn't a  genus of fungi otherwise associated with mind altering compounds or species, this is quite exceptionally unusual) and, given the tiny amounts found in the mushroom and their remote location, synthesize them in the lab and do some displacement assays with radioactive probes for various serotonin receptors, the genes for which being cloned into cell lines, such as  E.coli and thus find out, and comparing the actives to diisopropyltryptamine, just what the fuck is going on with this most unusual and exotic  mushroom.

Whatever these indoles are
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
Portugal (Azores; Madeira; mainland)
Canada (again)
Malta (although I can get Farsons Blue Label and Kinnie here at a price - privately, it's a favourite of mine)
Cape Verde
New Zealand
France
Spain (mainland)
The Netherlands
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 03:24:52 AM by Tequila »

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
Parisians can be quite rude in comparison with the rest of the country.

If you adopt the Parisian attitude back, they like the banter.  They know they're rude - that's the point.  It's a stereotype but remember that Paris is a big place and that people have to live and work there.  Same with London, NYC, Amsterdam - in fact, any big city.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 03:28:20 AM by Tequila »

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
People in New York are rude compared to the rest of the US. As a tourist it would be disappointing if they weren't.

In places like New York it is more abruptness and plain speaking. In Paris it comes across as snootiness.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
I don't have a bucket list really, but I do want to take my son to a bunch of museums. In Washington DC, in London, in Duxford (awesome aircraft museum, they even have the prototype concorde).

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
I don't have a bucket list really, but I do want to take my son to a bunch of museums. In Washington DC, in London, in Duxford (awesome aircraft museum, they even have the prototype concorde).

Depending on where you live, you could travel to somewhere fairly nearby to do all the museums in your country (or surrounding countries).