Educational

Author Topic: Tea thread as suggested by WolFish!  (Read 1388 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Tea thread as suggested by WolFish!
« on: March 03, 2016, 07:45:13 AM »
  Her Majesty often sends me to fetch the tea :cbc: :tea:   so I do know a bit about it. 

Post here about tea ... buying it, brewing it, sipping it, savoring the flavors.  :tea:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Tea thread as suggested by WolFish!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 08:28:41 AM »
Montreal is full of tea snobs who distinguish themselves from the English by drinking "tisane" which is just herbal tea. Tea shops actually flourish here. There is one in Northampton, MA that I used to frequent, and there was one in Orlando that closed within a year of my finding it.

Wolfish is not a fan of coffee, which smells to him like burnt beans. But tea (except for ones flavored with bergamot) smells wonderful. He has been drinking tea since childhood. For some reason even though he like lemon in my iced tea he cannot tolerate bergamot. Since it has some of the same stuff as grapefruit juice it's likely that the dislike is a good thing.

I prefer David's Tea shop as opposed to Tim Horton and Tevana. Tim Horton always has long lines and Tevana sold me a half liter glass of ice with which they included about a 100ml of tea. In the tea shops here you can have them mix you a tea blend. I bought something called Guava Cadabra that was full of fruit and needed no sweetener. By far my most favorite tisane. But I am most a fan of black teas. I had to hunt for the good ones in Orlando but here I can just go to a store and get them.

Mostly I drink breakfast tea, but I also like assam and orange pekoe. For Christmas Py got me an electric kettle which has temperature settings so that I can brew my tea at the right temperature. It also means that I don't destroy any more tea kettles on the stove, which used to be an annual occurrence.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 11:32:20 AM »
I like Chai.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 11:38:46 AM »
Me too.

Kind of difficult to find decent tea in Indiana. Thank god for the internet!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 05:00:22 PM »
Yogi Chai is nice.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 05:30:04 PM »
Love my loose leaf  Lapsang Souchong tea in the morning!  Thank the Great Old Ones that I can find it on the internet.  The rest of the day, Orange Pekoe or English/Irish Breakfast suits me just fine!    8)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 03:58:42 AM »
Yogi Chai is nice.

Best Chai indeed.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 04:00:02 AM »
Dilmah Rose French Vanilla is an absolute treat I think.

Pitty the shop where I bought it does not carry the Dilmah brand any more. Found another that does, but they do not have this variety.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 04:05:41 AM »
I don't like tea aromatised with any other fruit than citric fruit. Really detest all the cherry, strawberry and such teas.

During the day, mainly English blend, Ceylon, Orange Pekoe (Called Dutch blend here nowadays) and (Russian) Earl Grey. Chai is nice in the evening.

Do like blends with cinnamon and ginger in the mix.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 04:07:08 AM »
Yogi Chai is nice.

Black, green or that sweet blend?

I like the black only. The sweet blend is a mistake, IMO. And green? I just don't like green tea.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 06:09:13 AM »
Yogi Chai is nice.

Black, green or that sweet blend?

I like the black only. The sweet blend is a mistake, IMO. And green? I just don't like green tea.
Green tea is an acquired taste. When I was a kid I had an odd obsession that led me to use everything in a culturally appropriate way. This meant that I learned to use chopsticks as a child, and to drink the green tea they served in restaurants without any sugar in it (my mother put sugar on everything to make us eat it - so awful). So now I can distinguish green teas from one another. There are some that have citrus in them and are quite nice, and then there are some that are from the U.S. that taste like sewer water.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 02:22:51 PM »
I can't stand green tea, I really can't.

- Albert Einstein

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 02:35:37 PM »
They had decent tea at the hotel but not decent water.
My first taste of decent tea made with decent water was at a diner in Toronto. I thought it must be the tea and bought some to take home. Lol, they were serving Lipton in the shop. There is a difference between what they send to the U.S. and what they send here. But I didn't know that so I bought Stassen Gold - life changing experience.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 05:59:11 AM »
It used to be that the smell of Earl Grey tea made me feel like being sick, let alone the taste of it.

Then I had ECT and afterwards upon my arrival back home, Mum started making tea and my mouth started watering at the smell of Earl Grey tea. Mum made me some and I have loved it ever since.

I wonder what makes taste so individual. Why do some people like peppermint, for example, while others hate it?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 03:57:55 PM »
It used to be that the smell of Earl Grey tea made me feel like being sick, let alone the taste of it.

Then I had ECT and afterwards upon my arrival back home, Mum started making tea and my mouth started watering at the smell of Earl Grey tea. Mum made me some and I have loved it ever since.

I wonder what makes taste so individual. Why do some people like peppermint, for example, while others hate it?
Have had a few changes like that. Wouldn't eat rice until early teens, couldn't stomach eggs during adolescence through early thirties, and in the last couple of years have completely lost the appeal of most all seafood. It's weird.