Author Topic: Tea thread as suggested by WolFish!  (Read 1389 times)

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Tea thread as suggested by WolFish!
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2017, 01:26:38 AM »
i have in my possession the perfect thermos of iced tea. not too sweet, strong flavor and chilled to perfection.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2017, 05:56:56 AM »
i have in my possession the perfect thermos of iced tea. not too sweet, strong flavor and chilled to perfection.

Is it lemon-flavored?  :lemon:  I sometimes like to drink Pure LeafTM with lemon flavoring.
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2017, 06:01:25 AM »
I buy these in bulk:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunita-Org-Lemon-Juice-250ml/dp/B00URRR4VE/ref=pd_lpo_325_bs_lp_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=MB8B8HVPMX48V1M5VKMT&th=1

Though prices go way up and down all the time. I got them at about £1.80 each. I add it to water. Tasty. :)
:dog:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2017, 06:08:39 AM »
I buy these in bulk:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunita-Org-Lemon-Juice-250ml/dp/B00URRR4VE/ref=pd_lpo_325_bs_lp_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=MB8B8HVPMX48V1M5VKMT&th=1

Though prices go way up and down all the time. I got them at about £1.80 each. I add it to water. Tasty. :)

Nice.  My former landlady used to squeeze a fresh lime into her drinking water.  :)

People forget.

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2017, 01:16:17 PM »
A few have mentioned Liptons tea on this thread.  To the English, this is life support tea and is only used to keep life signs going when you first arrive abroad and haven't managed to find stocks of the real thing.

Imagine a killer whale stuck on a beach and people are pouring cups of water over it to stop it from dying?  Those cups of water are what Liptons tea is to the British.  They will keep us alive until a google search finds a local stockist of British ex-pat stuff.

When I was stranded in Pennsylvania last year I did find a store with Tetley tea bags which although it's 10 steps up the ladder from Liptons is far below the quality I'm used to.  Thank god the hotel had a proper kettle suppligin proper boiling water.  But it kept me alive for two weeks.  Just.  It was touch and go.

Once had nowt but Liptons for 8 days in a Catalonian hotel.  But I was young and was mostly able to substitute its place in my diet with more beer and wine.

PS.  Tea comes from a tea bush.  Shit that looks like twigs and taste like fruit is not tea.  It's an infusion. 
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2017, 03:00:47 PM »
i use organic or fresh squeezed lemon in my tea.
pure leaf has deteriorated from tasting like actual tea to tasting like sugar water with coloring in it.
tim horton's has taken its place for me.
my taste in tea changed when i went to toronto as an adult. i found stassen gold, which i hoarded and drank slowly. initially i thought the water was the difference. but even the lipton's is better here and it's the tea. back in the states i started buying imported tea. my favorite at that time was pg tips as it was widely available and inexpensive for someone who at that point drank a few pots a day.

tea with no tea in it is called tisane here. most of the women who drink it make it sound like some exotic (read snooty) drink. i do drink chamomile in my black tea and i also drink green tea, as well as tulsi, which is an herbal tea that doesn't interfere with medications the way the others do. i bought some stuff called horchata which i may try if i can ensure there is no barley in it. i don't mind calling other things tea, since other cultures have other names for it, including the chinese, who cultivated the type that was brought back to great britain. at that point there were green and yellow teas as well as the roasted kind. there were also some leaves and twigs that were designated by the chinese as tea. not sure where white tea came from but that's one that i drink on rare occasion. so i guess to be perfectly accurate we'd have to say real english tea.

we can call the leaves and twigs from other places gopher tea. gary can make up a variety that is fresh for 15 years and sell it to preppers.

a company named true lemon makes a powdered lemon juice that i carry with me so i don't have to carry liquids on airplanes or in my backpack. i also put lemon in my water and in pepsi. i've had it, but sunita isn't always available here and amazon canada sticks hefty delivery fees onto even the cheapest things.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2017, 10:35:56 PM »
I find it amusing that in some places "herbal" is said without the h. Here in Aussie land we say the h.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2017, 01:53:54 AM »
'erbal teas are disgusting, with or without the h.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2017, 07:24:14 AM »
I don't see the point of fruit tea. It just smells amazing, and tastes of nothing.

Plus they use flavourings, even in the organic stuff. It's way better for you (and far tastier) to just use a bit of fruit juice in hot water. :M

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2017, 10:10:59 AM »
"Herbal" and "herb" have the "h" dropped in my speech for as long as I can remember.  It may be a New Orleans cooking thing with our French heritage.  But I say the "h" in "heritage".   
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2017, 01:21:21 AM »
I don't see the point of fruit tea. It just smells amazing, and tastes of nothing.

Plus they use flavourings, even in the organic stuff. It's way better for you (and far tastier) to just use a bit of fruit juice in hot water. :M

A friend of mine who lives in Chile owns a tea shop. He was one of the first to import fruit tea to the country, apparently.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2017, 04:48:46 AM »

A friend of mine who lives in Chile owns a tea shop. He was one of the first to import fruit tea to the country, apparently.

I dunno, it seems too convenient. I mean he's gonna advertise his tea shop, isn't he?

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2017, 06:47:55 AM »
I find it amusing that in some places "herbal" is said without the h. Here in Aussie land we say the h.

Well, that's just wrong.  :M :P

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2017, 06:49:18 AM »

So fruit tea doesn't taste as good as it smells?  I'm sorry to hear that.  :-\

People forget.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2017, 03:21:00 PM »

I dunno, it seems too convenient. I mean he's gonna advertise his tea shop, isn't he?

He's done well, actually.

- Albert Einstein