Author Topic: Tea thread as suggested by WolFish!  (Read 1391 times)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: Tea thread as suggested by WolFish!
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2017, 04:45:09 AM »
I don't see the point of fruit tea. It just smells amazing, and tastes of nothing.

Plus they use flavourings, even in the organic stuff. It's way better for you (and far tastier) to just use a bit of fruit juice in hot water. :M

A friend of mine who lives in Chile owns a tea shop. He was one of the first to import fruit tea to the country, apparently.

I dunno, it seems too convenient. I mean he's gonna advertise his tea shop, isn't he?

He's done well, actually.

When did he start? Fruit tea was a hype when I was a teenager, more than 35 years ago.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2017, 01:33:22 AM »
I don't see the point of fruit tea. It just smells amazing, and tastes of nothing.

Plus they use flavourings, even in the organic stuff. It's way better for you (and far tastier) to just use a bit of fruit juice in hot water. :M

A friend of mine who lives in Chile owns a tea shop. He was one of the first to import fruit tea to the country, apparently.

I dunno, it seems too convenient. I mean he's gonna advertise his tea shop, isn't he?

He's done well, actually.

When did he start? Fruit tea was a hype when I was a teenager, more than 35 years ago.

10-15 years ago. Something like that.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2017, 04:58:34 AM »
Not ALL herb teas are awful. One that isn't is balm tea (Melissa officianalis), lemon balm, and a bit of lime zest and juice added.

Very refreshing in hot weather. I use it to flavour tea, as in actual tea, C.sinensis tea-tea but also on its own. Just fill a jug full of freshly picked chopped balm, its nicest of all when its in flower and a mixture of old  leafy growth and flowering steps, along with freshly sprouted young leaves is used.

And another, is to be made from a mushroom. Fly agaric, Amanita muscaria, it tastes, and smells, like meat. Its pure, distilled essence of umami in effect. The mushrooms HAVE to be dried first over a long duration very low heat oven flame, so low it almost goes out, at least overnight, best done crispy dry, that will break with a snap rather than exhibit bending.  This converts a neurotoxin, ibotenic acid, into the psychoactive isoxazole compound muscimol via decarboxlation, since ibotenic acid is quite unstable. In sub-psychotropic quantities it makes for an excellent flavouring for meats cooking and when used as a psychoactive or herbal medicine (for it can be used for both, the quantity determining effects) it can be taken as a tea, and when this is done, brewing it up by simmering the preserved mushrrooms in water the smell in the kitchen is overpoweringly savoury, meaty but sweet.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2017, 06:32:00 AM »
That was my point. The fresh ones made out of real fruit and herbs ARE good. The stuff in the shops are mostly just teas with maybe some dried fruit or herbs PLUS flavourings.
:dog:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2017, 09:24:25 AM »
I buy only a few herbal teas, and avoid the ones with hibiscus. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2017, 07:33:52 AM »

So fruit tea doesn't taste as good as it smells?  I'm sorry to hear that.  :-\
the herbal tea we get here is quite good. The fruit tea I have is a blend of dried fruit otherwise it may be that I could make them from juice, but where would I find blueberry juice in the amount needed to make a few cups of tea? I do dry my own fruit which is better for making blends and doesn't go bad like juice would. Today I am having Tulsi tea. It has Holy Basil in it. It is good and doesn't need much sugar.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2017, 08:43:54 AM »

the herbal tea we get here is quite good. The fruit tea I have is a blend of dried fruit otherwise it may be that I could make them from juice, but where would I find blueberry juice in the amount needed to make a few cups of tea? I do dry my own fruit which is better for making blends and doesn't go bad like juice would. Today I am having Tulsi tea. It has Holy Basil in it. It is good and doesn't need much sugar.

Is Holy Basil anything like the green leafy basil that goes in spaghetti sauce?  :fatchef:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2017, 01:12:38 PM »

You can get sachets of pure cherry juice from Holland & Barrett I think. But yeh, whatever works for you. :) Which fruits do you dry?
:dog:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2017, 11:12:55 PM »

Is Holy Basil anything like the green leafy basil that goes in spaghetti sauce?  :fatchef:
different. not sure if they are related. the spice is too pungent for a tea for me. the other kind is also called tulsi; i'ts just right.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher