Author Topic: Does intuition favor God's existence?  (Read 6826 times)

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Does intuition favor God's existence?
« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2011, 08:42:33 PM »
You obviously know a lot about this subject, and I know next to nothing, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance, but there's a couple of things that I don't understand about deism.

It's ok. There's no prerequisite course to understand deism anyway.

A Christian or Muslim has the bible and koran as "proof" of their belief. If you, as a deist disregard those pieces of evidence, then what evidence do you base your belief on? Is it based purely on intuition, or is there more to it?

My evidence (although very weak) is intuition and that it's a better explanation to me thus far for the existence of the universe than "it just happened".

Also, if you find it hard to believe that the universe was created out of almost nothing, then how is it easier to believe that God was created from nothing?

Because it makes better sense to me for sentience to bring forth what's not sentient than to say that the universe just came into existence from basically nothing.

And I don't believe God was created.

I have to admit, I've always at the back of my mind, had a funny thought that we are all in a giant super advanced computer, and "God" is some fat spotty dude playing a super advanced game of "The Sims" :LOL:

Ever reached the ending of The Simpsons Game?  You get to play Dance Dance Revolution with God. 8)

And, before anyone dogpiles me. It's not a genuine belief :P Although I have never been able to totally disprove it to myself.

Well, I'm going to go the other side for a jiffy and tell you that you can't disprove the existence of an invisible ghost living in your toilet. Doesn't mean it's reasonable.

I don't believe God is limited in form and, thus, is some fat spotty dude with a longass beard or something. He'd have to be this supercosmic form of infinite power that brought forth the cosmic reality we happen to be in.

And while the evidence is pretty much weak for such an entity, it is still better (in my perception) than the evidence for the magical teapot orbiting Saturn or some other planet and for the limited-in-form spaghetti monster and for some limited being playing a cosmic video game with us as characters for him to play.

Osensitive1

« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2011, 09:20:33 PM »
I don't know if what I believe in exists
This reminds me of the point I made of everyone. Maybe better said as you don't claim to know. That's pretty freaking agnostic. Deist.

Was that you swearing just there? :P

By the way, I can know that I and others exist because we have strong evidence that shows us we do. Can't say the same for God.
And can't know god knows I exist.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2011, 11:36:47 PM »
He may be retarded, who knows.

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #123 on: October 07, 2011, 04:48:15 AM »
You obviously know a lot about this subject, and I know next to nothing, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance, but there's a couple of things that I don't understand about deism.

It's ok. There's no prerequisite course to understand deism anyway.

A Christian or Muslim has the bible and koran as "proof" of their belief. If you, as a deist disregard those pieces of evidence, then what evidence do you base your belief on? Is it based purely on intuition, or is there more to it?

My evidence (although very weak) is intuition and that it's a better explanation to me thus far for the existence of the universe than "it just happened".

Also, if you find it hard to believe that the universe was created out of almost nothing, then how is it easier to believe that God was created from nothing?

Because it makes better sense to me for sentience to bring forth what's not sentient than to say that the universe just came into existence from basically nothing.

And I don't believe God was created.

I have to admit, I've always at the back of my mind, had a funny thought that we are all in a giant super advanced computer, and "God" is some fat spotty dude playing a super advanced game of "The Sims" :LOL:

And, before anyone dogpiles me. It's not a genuine belief :P Although I have never been able to totally disprove it to myself.

I've actually had that same thought myself.  :lol:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #124 on: October 07, 2011, 06:03:39 AM »
My stance: god only exists in the eye of the beholder. I have little doubt that man created him. It's a damn illusion, if you'd ask me. A delusion folks hold on to. Anno 2011?

A goddamn shame, I say.
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2011, 06:20:53 AM »
A goddamn shame, I say.

But you don't believe in God, so how do you know God damns?

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2011, 07:02:23 AM »
Duh.. it was just an expression. Think it's a shame folks believe in.. ja, the delusion 'tagged' god.

Well, I accept that I'll never know how this magnificent universe came to being. Que sais je? Will never know 'things' beyond my death.. and I'm highly skeptic about claims of others in these matters.

(started writing a bit more about 'my view' concerning religion but need to nuance more.. maybe later I'll post a bit more about it)

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2011, 07:20:27 AM »
Duh.. it was just an expression. Think it's a shame folks believe in.. ja, the delusion 'tagged' god.

Well, I accept that I'll never know how this magnificent universe came to being. Que sais je? Will never know 'things' beyond my death.. and I'm highly skeptic about claims of others in these matters.

(started writing a bit more about 'my view' concerning religion but need to nuance more.. maybe later I'll post a bit more about it)

Right, but not sure why you're upset about this.

My belief neither affects my lifestyle nor does it affect yours. Nor am I being dogmatic about it that you need to feel offense at what I choose to believe.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2011, 07:22:11 AM »
God is a concept,
By which we can measure,
Our pain,
I'll say it again,
God is a concept,
By which we can measure,
Our pain,
I don't believe in magic,
I don't believe in I-ching,
I don't believe in bible,
I don't believe in tarot,
I don't believe in Hitler,
I don't believe in Jesus,
I don't believe in Kennedy,
I don't believe in Buddha,
I don't believe in mantra,
I don't believe in Gita,
I don't believe in yoga,
I don't believe in kings,
I don't believe in Elvis,
I don't believe in Zimmerman,
I don't believe in Beatles,
I just believe in me,
Yoko and me,
And that's reality.
The dream is over,
What can I say?
The dream is over,
Yesterday,
I was dreamweaver,
But now I'm reborn,
I was the walrus,
But now I'm John,
And so dear friends,
You just have to carry on,
The dream is over.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2011, 07:27:58 AM »
You bet I believe in me. I believe I can fly and shoot fireballs. I believe I can even create multiverses out of pure nothing.

In fact, the whole God concept I've been mentioning here is simply a description of me, and no one external to my being. There you have it, folks. The invisible man really does exist. It's just not how you guys have imagined. 8)

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2011, 07:52:05 AM »
@ MC.. No, no.. I'm not upset at all. Don't understand why you say so really.

You not being dogmatic is noticeable and.. good. Well, I'm chill and have not so much to prove really either.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2011, 09:14:11 AM »
I have never felt the need to convince others that god does not exist, yet the people who do believe think it is vitally important that I do to.  Why is that?

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2011, 09:31:20 AM »
I have never felt the need to convince others that god does not exist, yet the people who do believe think it is vitally important that I do to.  Why is that?

Easy. Just as there are atheists who do, there are theists/deists who do. Doesn't mean that every atheist/theist/deist does it.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2011, 12:04:01 PM »

I've had that same problem. Never understood it either. What people believe in is their own business unless they try to change my beliefs.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

midlifeaspie

« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2011, 12:07:56 PM »

Easy. Just as there are atheists who do, there are theists/deists who do. Doesn't mean that every atheist/theist/deist does it.

Did I say "every"?  That sounds like a strawman argument there  :autism: