Author Topic: Does intuition favor God's existence?  (Read 6874 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Does intuition favor God's existence?
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2011, 12:42:18 AM »
And interestingly, the decrees of a god very often match the views of the ruling classes, practically never those of the little people.

The rise of a ruling class as people settled into permanent places would dovetail with the rise of a priestly class to justify and reinforce the rulers.

It is quite a coincidence, isn't it? :zoinks:

I thought you understood.  The reason they are the ruling class is because the god agrees with them and wanted them to be that way.  Same way we get presidents in the US.

Oh, right. I wish god would agree with me every once in a while.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2011, 12:44:37 AM »
My degree in English Lit is almost as worthless, except that Law Schools are prizing them these days.

Lit is Swedish. :oneliner:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

eris

« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2011, 12:58:44 AM »

My degree in English Lit is almost as worthless, except that Law Schools are prizing them these days.

Why is that?

Before I decided to major in philosophy I went to a different school and majored in paralegal for 2 semesters. In the US, everything in court that is decided becomes law. So, this memorandum needs to be perfectly factual and full of references and citing past cases. Looking up the facts is left to the slaves; the paralegals. The lawyers job is to write a passionate, nearly slanderous case full of wit and rhetoric. This is why they should have good English skills.

The memorandums I would have to write for my law classes were always heavily scrutinized. It was more than grammar, it was also very critical of passiveness and expected high drama. I found my professors really nitpicked at my memorandums. It was usually not incorrect, the problem seemed to be that I did not word things as they liked. In other words I was not aggressive enough. It's not the only reason  I changed my major, though. Law is incredibly boring.

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2011, 06:58:35 AM »
Um, my intuition tells me that not god created man in his own image but man created god in his own.  :santa:
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2011, 07:14:37 AM »
If it's intuition, it's intuition. Just make sure you guys are not confusing reflection for intuition. That's all.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2011, 08:17:39 AM »
Ass pies are known for their intuition. :toporly:

- Albert Einstein

P7PSP

« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2011, 08:26:41 AM »
If it's intuition, it's intuition. Just make sure you guys are not confusing reflection for intuition. That's all.
Narcissus was all about reflection IIRC.  :laugh:

Scrapheap

« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2011, 01:43:18 PM »
pfft! this is a boring discussion so far.

Ultimately, the question is wrong.

If we are to assume that the answer is yes, then all that means is that human intuition can't be trusted.

And as to Occam's Razor, yes, the idea of god violates that principle.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2011, 05:56:41 PM »

If we are to assume that the answer is yes, then all that means is that human intuition can't be trusted.

But so does the "something happened for no reason" explanation. Odeon's explanation is the simplest. The explanation "we don't know what's the cause yet" is simpler and more objective than "it just happened".

Scrapheap

« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2011, 11:16:16 PM »

But so does the "something happened for no reason" explanation. Odeon's explanation is the simplest. The explanation "we don't know what's the cause yet" is simpler and more objective than "it just happened".

Occam's razor doesn't depend on being the most simple, it is simply used to help eliminate unnecessary multipliers.

The examples you gave aren't the equivalent of "god did it" . "God did it", in turn, needs an explanation, "it just happened: doesn't.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2011, 11:24:35 PM »
I see double standard in your post.

If "it just happened" doesn't need an explanation, then neither should "God did it". Because God, by definition, just is and just does.

You can't make the former valid without the need for an explanation while the other one with a need for one.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2011, 11:24:35 PM »
The real problem is that the question shifts from the origin of the universe to god's origin. Which then ends up becoming, "He just exists for all eternity."

Occam's Razor would suggest that well, why need the assumption of god then if god's origin is an elaboration of "It just exists"; when you can simply say, "It just happened"?
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Scrapheap

« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2011, 12:06:02 AM »
I see double standard in your post.

If you really think it through, you shouldn't.

If "it just happened" doesn't need an explanation, then neither should "God did it". Because God, by definition, just is and just does.

No, you just inserted that assumption on your own. God could have millions of definitions.

If, however, you insist on using that definition, then "it just happened" and "god (who just is and just does) did it" are essentially the same argument.

Both are bare assertion fallacies of logic.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2011, 01:18:44 AM »
Both are bare assertion fallacies of logic.

That's the point, mate.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2011, 06:04:35 AM »
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap