Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 84175 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #5670 on: May 30, 2023, 08:25:18 AM »
It seems this has come out of "nowhere" but I have been enjoying cold coffee.
This has never happened before. The horror of cold coffee used to offend my senses so dramatically that one sip made my ears ring and my skin crawl.

Something has changed and I don't think it is the nature of cold coffee.

Someone tranq my ass and get me into a psyche ward for some mental help before this gets out of hand!!

:yikes:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 08:27:08 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5671 on: May 30, 2023, 02:32:00 PM »
…but from what I’ve read so far, it seems he hasn’t developed his critical thinking skills yet.

And well, let’s face it, a lot of people who read/follow it haven’t either…

Most people following the Bible haven't read the thing.

I think it would be worse for them and for humanity itself if they did..

Surely it would be better for us all? In this day and age when pretty much everything is offensive, I'd think the book to be more offensive than most.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5672 on: May 30, 2023, 02:47:27 PM »
All in all, the Bible does not inspire confidence if you think about it. And why would it? It's an unholy mess of assumptions.

(Going by only what I’ve read of the Bible so far)

It totally discourages independent thinking, except for God’s chosen leaders, very slightly.

First dad tried killing humanity to improve on it, then tried killing his son (himself?) to see if that would help. Didn't work out. Yup, sounds legit.

:laugh: Again, though, I *don’t* believe it, and I like the stories.

I can understand that such a book would corrupt the minds of many people. I find it interesting to read because it’s almost like God himself had started from a primitive position on basic morals. You would assume that God was omniscient at the beginning, but from what I’ve read so far, it seems he hasn’t developed his critical thinking skills yet.

So he was basically testing it on us? Fuck that. The message is that he knows everything.

Is it, though? I thought the main message was, “I (God) am most important, follow me and receive blessings, or you have sinned and you will be punished or put to death”

I really think that he does not know everything, nor at the beginning does the Bible hint that. If God did, he would not reason with Moses and Aaron not to kill some of the camps of people. He would not go on killing rampages because of their murmurings. God would already realise that the people were understandably upset because they were told to move out of their homes, and faced starvation along the way. It looks like he’s learning basic morals and people skills along the way to me. It’s as if Moses and Aaron have more people skills than God does at the beginning, hence their trying to reason with him and find other ways for God to stop killing so many people.

He was testing the waters, you mean? Right, and after a few generations he told someone to build a boat and then drowned the rest. Genocidal maniac. As Richard Dawkins says, he is the most unlikable character in all of fiction.

NT doesn't get a whole lot better. Fewer people killed, yes, but he basically told his followers to abandon their families to follow him. Some role model.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5673 on: May 30, 2023, 02:56:24 PM »
Actually, I’ve just finished Leviticus.

The studies to which I made reference are not a part of any commonly accepted Bible, but rather considered as a part of the Apocrypha and not accteped as "Holy" by Semite nor Gentile.

I know all versions of history are edited and most often, widely accepted historical accounts are only included in Scripture if those writings lead to success in attempts to create a specific cultural following.

Most who have studied the works of the Apocrapha find them just as mystical as most of the Biblical chapters. We each take meaning from them based upon how they sync with our own experiences, just like with the accepted Holy Scriptures.

How does the Apocrypha influence your views of the Bible, out of curiosity?

I feel the Apocrypha works I have found access to simply complete my understanding of some of the history.

Understanding that these people were extremely paranoid and superstitious. Almost anything could be interpretted as a message from God.

I tend to wait for a second message.

As I understand it, the bible as we know it was largely committee work. What was included and what was left out was highly subjective and basically the result of the strongest wills prevailing. This was hundreds of years after the supposed events and nobody knew what actually took place.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5674 on: May 30, 2023, 03:00:37 PM »
A final random observation: I don't suffer religious fools easily these days. I have no problem letting them be if they let *me* be, but for whatever reason it's not always the case.

- Albert Einstein

Online Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #5675 on: May 30, 2023, 05:45:41 PM »
A final random observation: I don't suffer religious fools easily these days. I have no problem letting them be if they let *me* be, but for whatever reason it's not always the case.

Religious fools that follow a corrupt setup like the old church my sister and I grew up in still bother me.... I can tolerate from a distance, but my skepticism is still over 9,000 because of the ethics of that setup.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #5676 on: May 30, 2023, 09:23:12 PM »

Agreed.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #5677 on: May 30, 2023, 11:16:50 PM »
…but from what I’ve read so far, it seems he hasn’t developed his critical thinking skills yet.

And well, let’s face it, a lot of people who read/follow it haven’t either…

Most people following the Bible haven't read the thing.

I think it would be worse for them and for humanity itself if they did..

Surely it would be better for us all? In this day and age when pretty much everything is offensive, I'd think the book to be more offensive than most.

If people took the book literally and followed all its rules, I believe it would have a lot more followers in general because, people listen to authority, and the book is a source of that. Most people don’t read the Bible, but it doesn’t mean they would be more intelligent if they did, far from it.

Think of the Daily Mail readers, and ask yourself if you think they have turned more intellectual from that or The Sun, etc.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 11:30:02 PM by Fun With Matches »
:dog:

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #5678 on: May 30, 2023, 11:28:25 PM »
First dad tried killing humanity to improve on it, then tried killing his son (himself?) to see if that would help. Didn't work out. Yup, sounds legit.

:laugh: Again, though, I *don’t* believe it, and I like the stories.

I can understand that such a book would corrupt the minds of many people. I find it interesting to read because it’s almost like God himself had started from a primitive position on basic morals. You would assume that God was omniscient at the beginning, but from what I’ve read so far, it seems he hasn’t developed his critical thinking skills yet.

So he was basically testing it on us? Fuck that. The message is that he knows everything.

Is it, though? I thought the main message was, “I (God) am most important, follow me and receive blessings, or you have sinned and you will be punished or put to death”

I really think that he does not know everything, nor at the beginning does the Bible hint that. If God did, he would not reason with Moses and Aaron not to kill some of the camps of people. He would not go on killing rampages because of their murmurings. God would already realise that the people were understandably upset because they were told to move out of their homes, and faced starvation along the way. It looks like he’s learning basic morals and people skills along the way to me. It’s as if Moses and Aaron have more people skills than God does at the beginning, hence their trying to reason with him and find other ways for God to stop killing so many people.

He was testing the waters, you mean? Right, and after a few generations he told someone to build a boat and then drowned the rest. Genocidal maniac. As Richard Dawkins says, he is the most unlikable character in all of fiction.

NT doesn't get a whole lot better. Fewer people killed, yes, but he basically told his followers to abandon their families to follow him. Some role model.

I believe you’re thinking that I think the Bible is a good role model for the reasons I mentioned. No, I was highlighting what I thought of it from outside that perspective, and looking at it for what it is when analysing what stories it tells. Do I look at Greek mythology and hate it for having real lack of morals? The gods, titans etc. are horrible to each other and humans. No, I just find the stories interesting. Same with the Bible.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 11:31:48 PM by Fun With Matches »
:dog:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5679 on: May 31, 2023, 07:36:42 AM »
Actually, I’ve just finished Leviticus.

The studies to which I made reference are not a part of any commonly accepted Bible, but rather considered as a part of the Apocrypha and not accteped as "Holy" by Semite nor Gentile.

I know all versions of history are edited and most often, widely accepted historical accounts are only included in Scripture if those writings lead to success in attempts to create a specific cultural following.

Most who have studied the works of the Apocrapha find them just as mystical as most of the Biblical chapters. We each take meaning from them based upon how they sync with our own experiences, just like with the accepted Holy Scriptures.

How does the Apocrypha influence your views of the Bible, out of curiosity?

I feel the Apocrypha works I have found access to simply complete my understanding of some of the history.

Understanding that these people were extremely paranoid and superstitious. Almost anything could be interpretted as a message from God.

I tend to wait for a second message.

As I understand it, the bible as we know it was largely committee work. What was included and what was left out was highly subjective and basically the result of the strongest wills prevailing. This was hundreds of years after the supposed events and nobody knew what actually took place.

This describes exactly the main reason for reading all of the ancient scriptures, if so inclined. Not to aid in conclusions, but to better understand the "politics" or prevailing wills that held such sway over the future of this type of religion.

Reading all I could find was one way I came out from under the overtly Christianist teachings and diatribes I was raised with as "truth."

I do believe that many of the messages from certain scriptures are valid, but I also enjoyed Tolkien, Asimov, Herbert, P.K. Dick, Niven, Zelazny and so many others. Not even beginning yet with the classics I have read and adore.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 03:05:47 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5680 on: June 08, 2023, 08:16:57 AM »
Random, somewhat, but I keep seeing a small collection of bi-planes in formation slow flying around the area.
Our little burg is free from restricted air spaces, due to no air fields near here.

The Classic Airshow is scheduled for NEXT week end, not this week end. They always feature a few WWII flying ladies who have been restored.
I would love to go, but I do not see that happening with current runaway schedules.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5681 on: June 09, 2023, 11:20:10 AM »

Oh FFS I am surrounded here. Bunch of uptight old biddies clutching their pearls at everything and scared to death of anything that might be seen as "witchcraft" or "satanic". Omg..."no we don't decorate for Halloween...that's the DEVIL'S HOLIDAY."

Meanwhile I blare Black Sabbath from my portable speaker while weeding and wonder how long a chalk painted pentagram would hold up to the rain in the lawn or whether just hanging some dollar store skeletons from the balcony would be just as effective at warding off the pests.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5682 on: June 09, 2023, 01:06:51 PM »
When my kids were younger my neighbor would take his raked up leaves and fill black garbage bags of various sizes, cut a few bent sticks and create a army of spiders walking toward the street for Halloween fun.
I showed up one year with some lighting, five bucks worth of webbing from the Halloween store and we really set the thing off.

It freaked someone out, though. A group came by one night and tore it all to shit, broke my lighting equipment and set fire to his leaf bags.

Bastards!
 :dunno:

Online Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #5683 on: June 09, 2023, 04:25:47 PM »
Certain things are not in my control, understanding peoples intentions being one of them.... if I keep trying to make it into my control, I'll seriously have a debate to look forward to with me, myself, and I.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5684 on: June 09, 2023, 04:37:26 PM »
You might think of some of this as trying to sail the open seas.

You are not in control, but you have masts with sails you can manage on your own. You have big sails (personality, will, need, determination) and small ones (anticipation, regret, hesitation and never giving up) and even smaller ones (fears, old failures, trying it all again), but you also have a rudder!

Never let your rudder run free! It is your ship. Keep it going in the direction you want! Work each sail as it needs.

:viking:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 04:40:02 PM by DirtDawg »