Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 84198 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #5640 on: May 05, 2023, 02:46:16 PM »
First dad tried killing humanity to improve on it, then tried killing his son (himself?) to see if that would help. Didn't work out. Yup, sounds legit.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #5641 on: May 05, 2023, 02:55:00 PM »
When I came home from work last Saturday night, I saw a spot on the ceiling of the kitchen.  Turns out it was a tiny spider, I let it be, since it was cold and rainy out that night.  Plus, I figured that it would move on to seek for prey.  And all thru the week it stayed in the exact same spot day after day.  I thought about catching and releasing it outside where it would have a better chance of catching a meal.  But, the nights have been cold and wet, as the days were.  Not one sign of movement.  I thought it might have died.  Today it was much warmer and drier so I decided to catch it in a cup.  Got a fly swatter to nudge it into a small container and when I touched it's rear legs, it spun around to attack.  Must have been hungry and thought the swatter was a meal.  Anyway, got the little critter into the dish and took it out on the sunny deck with enough places to seek refuge or hunt in.  It was still spinning around trying to see if the swatter nudging it was prey.  So much for thinking it had died of starvation.  I released it next to a rock of mine that had been out on the deck rail in the sun all day.  A warm refuge, went out a few minutes ago to check if it was still there.  Not a sign.  At least I set it out in a spot with a better chance to find prey or a mate then inside.  Still amused at it's feisty nature.   8)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #5642 on: May 05, 2023, 03:05:55 PM »
First dad tried killing humanity to improve on it, then tried killing his son (himself?) to see if that would help. Didn't work out. Yup, sounds legit.

This happened near me at what I call the Megachurch franchise corporation.  https://www.seacoastonline.com/story/news/2023/05/03/next-level-the-rise-and-fall-of-a-new-hampshire-megachurch/70178862007/
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #5643 on: May 05, 2023, 03:43:00 PM »
The bathrooms at the cancer center are more clean than Walmart

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #5644 on: May 05, 2023, 04:38:43 PM »

:laugh: Again, though, I *don’t* believe it, and I like the stories.

I can understand that such a book would corrupt the minds of many people. I find it interesting to read because it’s almost like God himself had started from a primitive position on basic morals. You would assume that God was omniscient at the beginning, but from what I’ve read so far, it seems he hasn’t developed his critical thinking skills yet.
:dog:

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5645 on: May 05, 2023, 04:44:11 PM »
…but from what I’ve read so far, it seems he hasn’t developed his critical thinking skills yet.

And well, let’s face it, a lot of people who read/follow it haven’t either…

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5646 on: May 12, 2023, 09:00:07 AM »
My elderly neighbors have left their automatic garage door up, and it's 1:00am and way too late to knock on their door and tell them. I can't close it myself without scaring the bejeezus out of them either. Should I stand vigil on the driveway till morning? :GA:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5647 on: May 12, 2023, 09:16:19 AM »
I saw was plaster board bits on the beams of a low bridge guess somebody wasn't paying attention.  :facepalm2:

"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5648 on: May 12, 2023, 02:47:39 PM »

This happened near me at what I call the Megachurch franchise corporation.  https://www.seacoastonline.com/story/news/2023/05/03/next-level-the-rise-and-fall-of-a-new-hampshire-megachurch/70178862007/

FFS
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5649 on: May 12, 2023, 02:58:13 PM »

I can understand that such a book would corrupt the minds of many people. I find it interesting to read because it’s almost like God himself had started from a primitive position on basic morals. You would assume that God was omniscient at the beginning, but from what I’ve read so far, it seems he hasn’t developed his critical thinking skills yet.

So he was basically testing it on us? Fuck that. The message is that he knows everything.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5650 on: May 12, 2023, 02:58:49 PM »
…but from what I’ve read so far, it seems he hasn’t developed his critical thinking skills yet.

Most people following the Bible haven't read the thing.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5651 on: May 12, 2023, 03:21:03 PM »
All in all, the Bible does not inspire confidence if you think about it. And why would it? It's an unholy mess of assumptions.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #5652 on: May 13, 2023, 12:52:10 AM »
 :grouphug: In all honesty, I wouldn't mind seeing the group photos I take with my friends

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5653 on: May 14, 2023, 09:17:40 AM »

Most people following the Bible haven't read the thing.

I think it would be worse for them and for humanity itself if they did..

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5654 on: May 14, 2023, 09:41:09 AM »
All in all, the Bible does not inspire confidence if you think about it. And why would it? It's an unholy mess of assumptions.

(Going by only what I’ve read of the Bible so far)

It totally discourages independent thinking, except for God’s chosen leaders, very slightly.

So he was basically testing it on us? Fuck that. The message is that he knows everything.

Is it, though? I thought the main message was, “I (God) am most important, follow me and receive blessings, or you have sinned and you will be punished or put to death”

I really think that he does not know everything, nor at the beginning does the Bible hint that. If God did, he would not reason with Moses and Aaron not to kill some of the camps of people. He would not go on killing rampages because of their murmurings. God would already realise that the people were understandably upset because they were told to move out of their homes, and faced starvation along the way. It looks like he’s learning basic morals and people skills along the way to me. It’s as if Moses and Aaron have more people skills than God does at the beginning, hence their trying to reason with him and find other ways for God to stop killing so many people.