Educational

Author Topic: Drug war losing momentum?  (Read 4616 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Drug war losing momentum?
« on: August 02, 2010, 02:38:17 AM »
I've noticed some encouraging signs lately that public opinion is shifting with respect to drugs.

14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline normal_impaired

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
Re: Drug war losing momentum?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 09:24:29 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hMM_T_PJ0Rs&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hMM_T_PJ0Rs&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1</a>
Autism Speaks would like to remind you that you don't exist, because there are no Autistic adults and autistic children are too braindead to be able to use a computer.

Online Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 03:00:23 PM »
It will be a hard sell to law enforcement they make a lot of money enforcing the drug laws
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 07:30:27 PM »
Very interesting videos, Peter.

In Colorado, I think they are changing the laws regarding marijuana dispensaries so that convicted felons can't run them anymore, which will take out about a fourth of them.  I think that is unfortunate because it seems to me that the people who would be inclined to run a pot shop would be more likely than the general population to have a prior conviction for marijuana possession.

I have never used marijuana in my life, but I voted to allow the medical use of marijuana for people who need it.

I also thnk our current "war on drugs" is stupid, however, I wonder how many of the 1.8 million drug arrests are for using marijuana at home as opposed to somethng harder than marijuana such as making and using meth, which does injure others.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 02:58:57 AM »
It will be a hard sell to law enforcement they make a lot of money enforcing the drug laws

If they legalise some of the drugs, they can tax them, and make lots of money that way.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 10:58:21 AM »

If they legalise some of the drugs, they can tax them, and make lots of money that way.

Here, if they find drugs in your car, they can say your car is being used to deal drugs and impound the car, then sell it.  That nets a lot of money for law enforcement.  If drugs are legalized and taxed, that makes money for the government as an entity but not for law enforcement specifically.

Online Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 12:44:43 PM »
They need to legalize pot at the very least.  With the amount used in this country and the number of people ignoring the law it makes all laws fair game to many people.  The business of taking property should be taken care of also it was intended to get the king pins of the organizations not the everyday user that is a thread all in itself.  BTW I stayed at a hotel in Colorado that was across the street from a "dispensary"  :2thumbsup:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 02:46:30 PM »
They need to legalize pot at the very least.  With the amount used in this country and the number of people ignoring the law it makes all laws fair game to many people.  The business of taking property should be taken care of also it was intended to get the king pins of the organizations not the everyday user that is a thread all in itself.  BTW I stayed at a hotel in Colorado that was across the street from a "dispensary"  :2thumbsup:

There are strong forces in politics to get it illegal here again. Now it is semi legal  :duh: You're allowed to have 5 plants, if the neighbours don't complain. And you can buy a certain amount each day. That's the legal bit. Taxes will be paid and all. But, the bigger production, and the transport of more than the one customer only daily amount, is illegal. Very weird. Front door of the shop is legal. Shop is legal, back door traffic of the coffees-hop is illegal.

So, some want to legalise it completely, and get rid of the crime that is involved with the back-door policies. Others want to criminalise the front door traffic.

Biggest reason people want to make using and selling cannabis illegal is, what other countries are thinking.  :duh:

And what I read about the USA, it may very well be that they are less restrictive than we will be here in the Netherlands within 10 years.

The benefit of having cannabis legal here, is that users of cannabis do not automatically get in contact with dealers of other products. And, cannabis is sold in a coffee-shop setting. So, there is a social setting. If it will become illegal again, the social side-effects of getting it in a coffee-shop, will go, and that will be a shame.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 07:30:19 AM »
The only real issue is that the rich assholes who actually matter won't legalize any type of thing that people actually think is fun unless they can make money off of it.

Simple as that.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 07:41:09 AM »
The war on drugs is a pointless and impossible war to win. Let them have their drugs, at the end of the day it isn't effecting me as it's their bodies.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 07:43:48 AM »
The war on drugs is a pointless and impossible war to win. Let them have their drugs, at the end of the day it isn't effecting me as it's their bodies.

I'll say it more slowly this time. Rich people - won't let people - have fun - unless they - pay for it.

Governments are illusions. The people in charge are the people with all the money. No use fighting it, its how economy works.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 10:13:24 PM »

There are victims

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 03:56:28 AM »

irresponsible dicks who drive on drugs could run you down. better stay home tonight. ;D

all the societal problems that alcohol causes can be caused by other drugs too y'know.

drugs should be legalised but dispensed with a kinda "drug license". alcohol should be treated this way already, infact in certain places it is i.e. small townships (mostly aboriginees) in the northern territory, australia. i can't fanid a reference though, could be my head taking a crap again.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 07:45:52 AM »

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 07:00:05 PM »
Thing is, if they tighten up on weed and pot (which to me is the same thing), then all the drug lords in Columbia are just going to flood the place with even more cocaine, heroin and whatever else. Plus the amount of ecstacy and other shit that available, and not only will the cops make a killing (as we know there is corruption in the force) but the govt will get kickbacks to allow it all in through customs. It's all a furphy as Shleed said, and Rage is right about the rich assholes making everyone else suffer.

I doubt there is an easy fix, so it looks like everyone will have to deal with it the best they can.