Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 2501 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Facebook
« on: October 11, 2009, 02:49:59 AM »
Who here uses Facebook? My sisters all use it and so does GA.

I am doing an assignment now, writing a report on an article, "Popularity fuels disclosure on Facebook." Do any of you think this is true? I find it amazing that a lot of people worry about security yet still post their full names and other personal details on Facebook.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Facebook
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 03:02:56 AM »

I'm on there, but have it set so only friends can see my profile.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 06:27:05 AM »
I have it to watch other people, not to let them watch me. Plus I have it on high security.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 07:11:58 AM »
I only have a minimal presence there, no photo just a spot for people who I went to collage with to get an email
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 07:18:22 AM »

I am doing an assignment now, writing a report on an article, "Popularity fuels disclosure on Facebook." Do any of you think this is true? I find it amazing that a lot of people worry about security yet still post their full names and other personal details on Facebook.

I find it amazing too.

Some people post their whole lives on Facebook, which would make it very easy for someone to stalk them.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 07:19:25 AM »

I find it amazing too.

Some people post their whole lives on Facebook, which would make it very easy for someone to stalk them.
Some people are not totally paranoid.

Blasted

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 07:20:31 AM »
I have Facebook but only my friends can see it.  Some people have their address, phone number and everything on it  :zombiefuck:

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 07:21:56 AM »

I find it amazing too.

Like you?

I have it to watch other people, not to let them watch me. Plus I have it on high security.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 07:28:55 AM »

I find it amazing too.

Like you?

I don't put my bank details on it - but I would be easy to stalk by anyone at my university or one of the 500 and some people on my friend lists. The thing is, having friends makes you safer from deviant personalities, plus I could be stalked anyway.

Blasted

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 07:30:30 AM »
Deviant personalities?  :laugh:

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 07:36:51 AM »

I find it amazing too.

Like you?

I don't put my bank details on it - but I would be easy to stalk by anyone at my university or one of the 500 and some people on my friend lists. The thing is, having friends makes you safer from deviant personalities, plus I could be stalked anyway.

:o

I think having 500 people on your friends list makes it more likely that one of them could be that "deviant personality" you fear.

Blasted

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 07:38:53 AM »
I think most people these days just add everyone they ever knew.  I mean, I don't speak to 3/4 of the people on my friends list.  Nor do I like most of them particularly.

Offline The Member Formerly Known As Sophist

• Too Eliter for the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I am what I am and that's all what I am.
    • Gestalt: An Autism Forum
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 07:41:10 AM »
I don't have it set to high security, but then thankfully I also have an extremely common name, like Jane Smith. So if anyone's wanting to find me specifically, they'll have to hunt through all the other same names as mine.  8)

I'm not particularly active either. I use it more to keep up with a small handful of friends. And I only have people on my friends list who I know (either good online friends or people irl).

Main thing is never post on FB something you wouldn't want your employer (current or future) to know about you.
Flibbit.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 07:43:48 AM »

I find it amazing too.

Like you?

:o

I think having 500 people on your friends list makes it more likely that one of them could be that "deviant personality" you fear.

I know 500 people irl, the nature of this place is that there are going to be deviant backstabbing personalities about, Facebook or not. But, I unlike you, am not totally paranoid. Shit can happen, accept it.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 07:45:47 AM »
It's not about paranoia, it's about choosing what you want to reveal about yourself, stalkers or no stalkers. Not everyone's like you, Hadron.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein