Educational

Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
Re: Facebook
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 07:52:20 AM »
It's not about paranoia, it's about choosing what you want to reveal about yourself, stalkers or no stalkers. Not everyone's like you, Hadron.
I hide enough about myself already - I cannot afford to hide more. Lets just say I have made the mistake of having an obsession I cannot talk about.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 07:54:40 AM »
It's not about paranoia, it's about choosing what you want to reveal about yourself, stalkers or no stalkers. Not everyone's like you, Hadron.
I hide enough about myself already - I cannot afford to hide more. Lets just say I have made the mistake of having an obsession I cannot talk about.

Which is fine and well, and your choice. Just don't assume you know why others choose to be more private than you.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 12:09:35 AM »
Argh you are one of those people that tells a little bit of the story and no more.

I haven't got a Facebook account. My real name isn't anywhere on the internet. I guess that is one of the reasons why I am ok about posting about myself here.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 12:19:55 AM by renaeden »
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline The Member Formerly Known As Sophist

• Too Eliter for the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I am what I am and that's all what I am.
    • Gestalt: An Autism Forum
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 06:29:37 AM »
Argh you are one of those people that tells a little bit of the story and no more.

I haven't got a Facebook account. My real name isn't anywhere on the internet. I guess that is one of the reasons why I am ok about posting about myself here.

I've started posting more about myself in relation to my name. Given the field of work I'm going into, my name will end up on the net in relation to my work. I just need to make sure that the personal details I don't want associated with my name stays separate from it.
Flibbit.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 07:14:56 AM »
I find Facebook confusing and overwhelming; there are too many things trying to catch my attention when I go there, so I avoid it simply from a user-interface point of view.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 09:34:35 AM »
i have facebook. my real name is known on the internet

GalileoAce

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 09:36:08 AM »
My real name, address and phone number is known at various places....

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 09:38:57 AM »
I don't have it set to high security, but then thankfully I also have an extremely common name, like Jane Smith. So if anyone's wanting to find me specifically, they'll have to hunt through all the other same names as mine.  8)

I'm not particularly active either. I use it more to keep up with a small handful of friends. And I only have people on my friends list who I know (either good online friends or people irl).

Main thing is never post on FB something you wouldn't want your employer (current or future) to know about you.
I have the common name thing in my favor and uber-security.  In general I try to keep my facebook pretty much OK for employers to see, though every now and again I go through and panic and purge.  I'm pretty active on FB.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 09:40:15 AM »
I don't have it set to high security, but then thankfully I also have an extremely common name, like Jane Smith. So if anyone's wanting to find me specifically, they'll have to hunt through all the other same names as mine.  8)

I'm not particularly active either. I use it more to keep up with a small handful of friends. And I only have people on my friends list who I know (either good online friends or people irl).

Main thing is never post on FB something you wouldn't want your employer (current or future) to know about you.
I have the common name thing in my favor and uber-security.  In general I try to keep my facebook pretty much OK for employers to see, though every now and again I go through and panic and purge.  I'm pretty active on FB.
So you haven't left any hints on I2 or anywhere else - I guess that is the main risk of trouble from it...

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 09:41:33 AM »

My last name is pretty uncommon, that's why I have my profile set to private.

I figure, if you google someone's name, something is going to come up. I'd rather have the say as far as what comes up on the first page.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
some people here know my address
my phone number is 07709058029

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 09:42:56 AM »

i'm totally going to drunk dial you

GalileoAce

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 09:43:15 AM »
some people here know my address
my phone number is 07709058029
* GalileoAce opens notepad and saves to the 'stalking' folder........

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2009, 09:44:38 AM »
 :P

people from outside the uk never seem to be able to get hold of me

i think cg tried texting me once on that number and it never worked

starbuline also did too and it never got through, yet i could call her house phone from my same mobile and it worked

GalileoAce

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2009, 09:45:41 AM »
did they use the intl extension?