Author Topic: Questions for Callaway  (Read 84818 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Questions for Callaway
« Reply #2565 on: February 20, 2010, 02:49:13 PM »
Do you think that Switzerland and the Czech Republic are BRAVE? :arrr:

I love the Czech Republic. I'm going there in a couple of weeks.

And you have a right to carry there, aside the beautiful nature and cities.  8)

Well, yes, but I'm not going to carry a weapon, just visit Prague. And Prague is fabulous.

:agreed:

But I think it's interesting that as soon as communism fell, the former communist countries (except for Russiia, Belarus and the Ukraine) all became more free than for example Sweden or the UK. It seems like you really value freedom only when you know what's it like to be without it.

i don't really see being allowed to carry a gun as being more free. Do you have other examples?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #2566 on: February 20, 2010, 02:54:25 PM »

i don't really see being allowed to carry a gun as being more free.

Well, you're not a slaughter sheep for criminals like you are in Sweden, for instance. That's a kind of freedom to me.

Do you have other examples?

Yup. It's legal to buy heroin, cocaine and other drugs for personal use in the Czech Republic since the 1st of January.

And you can buy chemicals and medicine OTC in Poland that you cannot get at all as a private citizen in Sweden or the UK.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2567 on: February 20, 2010, 03:01:11 PM »

i don't really see being allowed to carry a gun as being more free.

Well, you're not a slaughter sheep for criminals like you are in Sweden, for instance. That's a kind of freedom to me.

We've been through this a couple of times and here we disagree.

Do you have other examples?

Yup. It's legal to buy heroin, cocaine and other drugs for personal use in the Czech Republic since the 1st of January.

And you can buy chemicals and medicine OTC in Poland that you cannot get at all as a private citizen in Sweden or the UK.

True. Both heroin and cocaine can have some devastating consequences for those that use them and the people around the users, though.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #2568 on: February 20, 2010, 03:09:46 PM »

I know that very well. But the fact is that if you're facing a ruthless criminal, or several of them, physically and/or numerously superior, your only chance is if you have a gun.

My dad's best friend's daughter got raped by an unknown man. She wasn't armed. A girl from another board I visit escaped rape only by using a taser against the rapist, thus committing a crime against Swedish law. She couldn't have gotten the taser legally, since you don't get a license for tasers in Sweden.

True. Both heroin and cocaine can have some devastating consequences for those that use them and the people around the users, though.

As can alcohol and thousands of other things.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2569 on: February 20, 2010, 03:21:28 PM »

I know that very well. But the fact is that if you're facing a ruthless criminal, or several of them, physically and/or numerously superior, your only chance is if you have a gun.

My dad's best friend's daughter got raped by an unknown man. She wasn't armed. A girl from another board I visit escaped rape only by using a taser against the rapist, thus committing a crime against Swedish law. She couldn't have gotten the taser legally, since you don't get a license for tasers in Sweden.

I'm glad she escaped. And, as you know, I have a daughter. She's the main reason to why I sometimes have doubts, but I think she might be better helped by doing something about all those rapists that currently escape justice. This country's justice system is at fault.

As can alcohol and thousands of other things.

Indeed. I can't produce statistics (as in "I can't be arsed") but I do think that the crime rates are not in proportion between heroin/cocaine and alcohol.

- Albert Einstein

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #2570 on: February 20, 2010, 03:22:49 PM »
And the newsbox slave is the one writing stuff in the newsbox (upper right). Currently it's jman.
jman thinks that i am a real man?

pobody's nerfect.
he must be correct on this one.

Why?
i guess i made that post when i was clearly using you as an example of a man.  that is why i thought he was correct in saying that i am a real man.
Misunderstood.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2571 on: February 20, 2010, 07:05:58 PM »
Here's a question....have you ever noticed that most cat food is seafood based, such as tuna, pilchards etc.

But cats hate water. I'm wondering why a whole catfood market has been based on seafood, when in fact, I can't see how it is their natural nutritional base.

It's not like any dog food is seafood based, yet both are land predators.

If a cat lived near water, seafood might be a big part of their natural diet.  I have seen cats perched on the side of a fish pond waiting to swipe a fish that got too close to their paws.  I know that while dogs are carnivores, cats are obligate carnivores, which means that they must eat meat in order to survive and be healthy.  Cats can't manufacture taurine or arachidonic acid and can't convert beta carotine to Vitamin A, but dogs can, so cats need these nutrients to be supplied in their diets. Therefore cats can't thrive while eating dog food, which often is more grain based than meat based.

My guess would be that cat food manufacturers try to supply essential nutrients for cats as cheaply as they possibly can, so they use some grains such as corn or wheat gluten for protein along with the least expensive meat proteins possible to supply the additional nutrients that cats need.  Maybe fish guts and shrimp heads and other seafood waste products are relatively cheap sources of protein.

Thanks, yes realised they could take a swipe at little fish in a pond. When I looked up Taurine, I see the abundant sources are in fish, birds and rodents. Fish waste products would be the most cost effective as you said.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2572 on: February 21, 2010, 01:27:21 AM »
Do you think that Switzerland and the Czech Republic are BRAVE? :arrr:

Yes.  

TheoK

« Reply #2573 on: February 21, 2010, 05:23:36 AM »
 :thumbup:

Osensitive1

« Reply #2574 on: February 21, 2010, 04:58:11 PM »
Is there a way to adjust avatars? This one doesn't look right. It's too big and stretched vertically.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #2575 on: February 21, 2010, 05:02:07 PM »
Is there a way to adjust avatars? This one doesn't look right. It's too big and stretched vertically.

Try and upload it here instead of hosting it remotely. Seems there is a bug.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2576 on: February 22, 2010, 01:40:07 AM »

Try and upload it here instead of hosting it remotely. Seems there is a bug.

Yes. The forum software won't scale linked avatars correctly.

- Albert Einstein

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #2577 on: February 25, 2010, 12:50:49 PM »
what does shooperer mean?

http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php/topic,148.0.html

pyraxis called me one  a long time ago and i can't get it out of my mind.
Misunderstood.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2578 on: February 25, 2010, 07:33:02 PM »
what does shooperer mean?

http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php/topic,148.0.html

pyraxis called me one  a long time ago and i can't get it out of my mind.

Too lazy to google?  :P

Osensitive1

« Reply #2579 on: February 25, 2010, 07:37:21 PM »
That thread's almost four years old.