Author Topic: Questions for Callaway  (Read 84814 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: Questions for Callaway
« Reply #2535 on: February 15, 2010, 02:06:06 PM »
what about double yolked eggs.  do they hatch into twin chicks?
Misunderstood.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2536 on: February 15, 2010, 04:02:20 PM »
what about double yolked eggs.  do they hatch into twin chicks?

If the egg were fertilized, then yes it could possibly hatch into twin chicks in theory, but most likely the chicks would not be viable.  Have you ever noticed that the yolks in double yolk eggs are smaller than the yolk in a single yolk egg from the same hen and that while the double yolk egg is a little longer, it's not twice as big?  There would not be enough room or nutrients for both chicks to grow large enough, and then both of them turn around in the egg so they can breathe from the air space so even if they both hatched out, which is very rare, one or both would probably die.

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2537 on: February 15, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
thanks.  i thought that maybethe hens horemones were higher if there was a male present, which would have them producing more eggs.

the hens dont care about sex ,only the rooster does

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2538 on: February 15, 2010, 07:08:42 PM »
i was watching on survivor that they caught 3 chickens and one rooster.

they ate the rooster.

do hens lay more eggs when there is a rooster present?

Commercial egg-laying businesses get hens to lay eggs with no roosters ever present, so I think hens who are old enough will lay about an egg a day whille they are laying with or without a rooster.  Of course if there is no rooster, the eggs will be non-fertile eggs which will never hatch into chicks.  My brother's hens aren't laying eggs in the winter, but I think commercial egg-laying businesses use artificial heat and light to get their hens to lay eggs all year.

They are kept till they start moulting, just before that, they tend to lay more double yoke eggs I think. When the chickens start moulting the egg-production goes down, and they will be replaced by new chickens.

We had a couple of battery chickens after moulting as pets when I was little. The three of them came out of one little cage. And they moved synchronically most of the time. Very weird. And were close to each other all the time too, as if they needed to be as close as they had been in their cage. Once they had new feathers, they produced eggs very well again.
Even needing to be that close to each other, and keeping the routine of the confinement in a way, they loved the liberty they got. More than any other chicken, those three would be sunbathing with sand between their feathers.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2539 on: February 15, 2010, 07:47:04 PM »
Cool how they always stayed so close.

My parents had chickens for a while when I was a kid, until the neighbor's dogs got into their coop and killed them.  My grandparents kept chickens for a lot longer, so my brothers and I saw them when we visited.  My husband and I live in town now, so we can't really keep them, but I'm glad that my brother does so the kids can see and take care of them.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2540 on: February 17, 2010, 09:32:04 PM »
Here's a question....have you ever noticed that most cat food is seafood based, such as tuna, pilchards etc.

But cats hate water. I'm wondering why a whole catfood market has been based on seafood, when in fact, I can't see how it is their natural nutritional base.

It's not like any dog food is seafood based, yet both are land predators.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2541 on: February 18, 2010, 10:19:14 AM »
Here's a question....have you ever noticed that most cat food is seafood based, such as tuna, pilchards etc.

But cats hate water. I'm wondering why a whole catfood market has been based on seafood, when in fact, I can't see how it is their natural nutritional base.

It's not like any dog food is seafood based, yet both are land predators.

If a cat lived near water, seafood might be a big part of their natural diet.  I have seen cats perched on the side of a fish pond waiting to swipe a fish that got too close to their paws.  I know that while dogs are carnivores, cats are obligate carnivores, which means that they must eat meat in order to survive and be healthy.  Cats can't manufacture taurine or arachidonic acid and can't convert beta carotine to Vitamin A, but dogs can, so cats need these nutrients to be supplied in their diets. Therefore cats can't thrive while eating dog food, which often is more grain based than meat based.

My guess would be that cat food manufacturers try to supply essential nutrients for cats as cheaply as they possibly can, so they use some grains such as corn or wheat gluten for protein along with the least expensive meat proteins possible to supply the additional nutrients that cats need.  Maybe fish guts and shrimp heads and other seafood waste products are relatively cheap sources of protein.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 10:22:39 PM by Callaway »

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #2542 on: February 18, 2010, 07:21:51 PM »
Most cats aren't enthusiastic swimmers, except the Turkish Van breed, who are known to enjoy it. Even if they don't like getting their paws wet, cats will take advantage of any nearby streams or ponds for hunting purposes. I know mine does, though the amount of fish she gets is probably minimal compared with everything else (reptiles & amphibians, insects, birds, small mammals). With commercial cat food, she prefers the fishy kinds over the chicken and rabbit-based foods. She won't even go near the ones with vegetables in them.

A wild cat's diet would include not just muscle tissue, but also the stomach contents of its prey. It couldn't get by on plant proteins alone (being an obligate carnivore as Callaway has mentioned), but a small amount of plant matter is optimal for a cat's digestion. My furry girl regularly has a nibble at the back lawn, and she likes little bits of fresh wholemeal bread rolls.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2543 on: February 20, 2010, 12:22:53 AM »
When I see those Snappy Tom cat food commercials they always seem to have a cat living near the wharf or on a boat or whatever. So I guess they can live on boats.

Our cat likes cheese. He also likes beetroot.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #2544 on: February 20, 2010, 07:56:51 AM »
on my way home from work tonight the battery light appeared on my dashboard.  but i didn't lose power to the car.  the only thing that seemed to happen was i lost my power steering and my battery gauge went down to about 8 volts.

what is wrong with my truck?
Misunderstood.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2545 on: February 20, 2010, 09:30:50 AM »
on my way home from work tonight the battery light appeared on my dashboard.  but i didn't lose power to the car.  the only thing that seemed to happen was i lost my power steering and my battery gauge went down to about 8 volts.

Were you driving through a puddle just before this happened?

If so, then your alternator and power steering belts may have gotten wet and slipped, leading to a temporary loss of power steering and alternator power to charge the battery. However, it should be OK after the belts dry, unless they came off or broke.

If the battery light did not go off by itself last night, I would recommend you open your hood this morning before you try to start your truck and check the belts and battery terminals.

If the belts are missing or appear worn or loose, then they will need to be replaced or tightened.  If there appears to be corrosion around the battery terminals, the terminals need to be disconnected from the battery and cleaned.  If everything looks good, then you can try to start your truck.  If it starts but the battery light is still on, then I think you should drive to an auto parts store that will check your charging system to see if you need a new battery and replace the battery for you if needed.  If it's not the battery, then it could be the alternator.

Osensitive1

« Reply #2546 on: February 20, 2010, 01:59:49 PM »
What do the colors in the online user list mean? Some I can guess, but not others.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #2547 on: February 20, 2010, 02:06:22 PM »

If so, then your alternator and power steering belts may have gotten wet and slipped, leading to a temporary loss of power steering and alternator power to charge the battery. However, it should be OK after the belts dry, unless they came off or broke.

If the battery light did not go off by itself last night, I would recommend you open your hood this morning before you try to start your truck and check the belts and battery terminals.

If the belts are missing or appear worn or loose, then they will need to be replaced or tightened.  If there appears to be corrosion around the battery terminals, the terminals need to be disconnected from the battery and cleaned.  If everything looks good, then you can try to start your truck.  If it starts but the battery light is still on, then I think you should drive to an auto parts store that will check your charging system to see if you need a new battery and replace the battery for you if needed.  If it's not the battery, then it could be the alternator.
it is the belt.  i just had a new one put on less than 4 months ago and now it completely came off.
Misunderstood.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2548 on: February 20, 2010, 02:07:07 PM »
What do the colors in the online user list mean? Some I can guess, but not others.

Let me know if I leave anything out you are curious about, but off the top of my head, red is for admins, blue is for the webmaster, another shade of blue is for the Newsbox Slave, orange is for the Newsbox Features, purple is for Elders, and black is for members in no specific group.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2549 on: February 20, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »

it is the belt.  i just had a new one put on less than 4 months ago and now it completely came off.

That sounds like the belt may have been installed incorrectly four months ago, then.  I hope they checked to make sure that the new belt is tightened and aligned properly and the proper width for the pulleys.