Educational

Author Topic: Questions for Callaway  (Read 84809 times)

Osensitive1

Re: Questions for Callaway
« Reply #2550 on: February 20, 2010, 02:10:59 PM »
What does newsbox slave mean, and please explain the snooping thread.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #2551 on: February 20, 2010, 02:11:59 PM »
on my way home from work tonight the battery light appeared on my dashboard.  but i didn't lose power to the car.  the only thing that seemed to happen was i lost my power steering and my battery gauge went down to about 8 volts.

what is wrong with my truck?

Were you driving through a puddle just before this happened?

If so, then your alternator and power steering belts may have gotten wet and slipped, leading to a temporary loss of power steering and alternator power to charge the battery. However, it should be OK after the belts dry, unless they came off or broke.

If the battery light did not go off by itself last night, I would recommend you open your hood this morning before you try to start your truck and check the belts and battery terminals.

If the belts are missing or appear worn or loose, then they will need to be replaced or tightened.  If there appears to be corrosion around the battery terminals, the terminals need to be disconnected from the battery and cleaned.  If everything looks good, then you can try to start your truck.  If it starts but the battery light is still on, then I think you should drive to an auto parts store that will check your charging system to see if you need a new battery and replace the battery for you if needed.  If it's not the battery, then it could be the alternator.
it is the belt.  i just had a new one put on less than 4 months ago and now it completely came off.

That sounds like the belt may have been installed incorrectly four months ago, then.  I hope they checked to make sure that the new belt is tightened and aligned properly and the proper width for the pulleys.
they better.  or next time i may drag my feet getting it back to them and charge them for missed work days.

AAA is on their way to my home right now and they are going to tow me to the mechanics.
Misunderstood.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #2552 on: February 20, 2010, 02:13:55 PM »
What does newsbox slave mean, and please explain the snooping thread.
i think that you are only accounting for the people online right now.

just above that list is a little clicky thing that will show you what people are doing right now (on tthe forum)  caught snooping means that you have caught someone checking out the who's onl;ine feature.  they are basically snooping to see what others are doing.
Misunderstood.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2553 on: February 20, 2010, 02:17:12 PM »
And the newsbox slave is the one writing stuff in the newsbox (upper right). Currently it's jman.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2554 on: February 20, 2010, 02:18:06 PM »
on my way home from work tonight the battery light appeared on my dashboard.  but i didn't lose power to the car.  the only thing that seemed to happen was i lost my power steering and my battery gauge went down to about 8 volts.

what is wrong with my truck?

Were you driving through a puddle just before this happened?

If so, then your alternator and power steering belts may have gotten wet and slipped, leading to a temporary loss of power steering and alternator power to charge the battery. However, it should be OK after the belts dry, unless they came off or broke.

If the battery light did not go off by itself last night, I would recommend you open your hood this morning before you try to start your truck and check the belts and battery terminals.

If the belts are missing or appear worn or loose, then they will need to be replaced or tightened.  If there appears to be corrosion around the battery terminals, the terminals need to be disconnected from the battery and cleaned.  If everything looks good, then you can try to start your truck.  If it starts but the battery light is still on, then I think you should drive to an auto parts store that will check your charging system to see if you need a new battery and replace the battery for you if needed.  If it's not the battery, then it could be the alternator.
it is the belt.  i just had a new one put on less than 4 months ago and now it completely came off.

That sounds like the belt may have been installed incorrectly four months ago, then.  I hope they checked to make sure that the new belt is tightened and aligned properly and the proper width for the pulleys.
they better.  or next time i may drag my feet getting it back to them and charge them for missed work days.

AAA is on their way to my home right now and they are going to tow me to the mechanics.

Good luck.  They may have tightened the belt too much and it broke, or too little and it slipped off.   Also, look at the pulleys the belt will go around.  They should all lie in a single plane.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #2555 on: February 20, 2010, 02:19:18 PM »
And the newsbox slave is the one writing stuff in the newsbox (upper right). Currently it's jman.
jman thinks that i am a real man?
Misunderstood.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2556 on: February 20, 2010, 02:20:33 PM »

pobody's nerfect.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2557 on: February 20, 2010, 02:21:59 PM »

Apparently so.

;D

TheoK

« Reply #2558 on: February 20, 2010, 02:25:46 PM »
Do you think that Switzerland and the Czech Republic are BRAVE? :arrr:

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #2559 on: February 20, 2010, 02:28:13 PM »

pobody's nerfect.
he must be correct on this one.
Misunderstood.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2560 on: February 20, 2010, 02:36:56 PM »

I love the Czech Republic. I'm going there in a couple of weeks.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2561 on: February 20, 2010, 02:37:14 PM »

pobody's nerfect.
he must be correct on this one.

Why?

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #2562 on: February 20, 2010, 02:40:18 PM »

And you have a right to carry there, aside the beautiful nature and cities.  8)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2563 on: February 20, 2010, 02:41:28 PM »

And you have a right to carry there, aside the beautiful nature and cities.  8)

Well, yes, but I'm not going to carry a weapon, just visit Prague. And Prague is fabulous.

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #2564 on: February 20, 2010, 02:47:27 PM »

And you have a right to carry there, aside the beautiful nature and cities.  8)

Well, yes, but I'm not going to carry a weapon, just visit Prague. And Prague is fabulous.

:agreed:

But I think it's interesting that as soon as communism fell, the former communist countries (except for Russia, Belarus and the Ukraine) all became more liberal than for example Sweden or the UK. It seems like you really value freedom only when you know what's it like to be without it.