Educational

Author Topic: wondering if people could be diagnosed wrong as aspergers  (Read 4619 times)

Offline matthe

• gifted asshole
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • quit fucking with my dogs equilibrium yo
Re: wondering if people could be diagnosed wrong as aspergers
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2009, 08:45:41 AM »
what a little twat. (this is not spam)
feix ma spellan. ai nide halp. coz i caent duet.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2009, 09:17:19 AM »
The thing is, I think there is a half way point. Nothing is expected of me from the government because I'm on a disability pension now. I just have to pass go and collect my $200. We are doing better than most working poor families as a lot of our income is tax free. We live in public housing which isn't as bad as it sounds (shitty neighbours have left). So we pay fuck all in rent.

We get enough money these days that we don't even have to be careful how we spend it (probably should hide some in a mattress or something).
The problem is the government feels it has fulfilled its obligations by putting you on that pension, when in reality if they did their job properly, you would most likely be in decent employment, with the improvement in lifestyle that would bring. That said, given you have 5 children, it doesn't surprise me that the system makes it better for you not to work. Doesn't send out an amazing message to them.

They will help be get back into the workforce if I wanted them to. I'm just not in that place right now personally.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2009, 09:25:44 AM »
The thing is, I think there is a half way point. Nothing is expected of me from the government because I'm on a disability pension now. I just have to pass go and collect my $200. We are doing better than most working poor families as a lot of our income is tax free. We live in public housing which isn't as bad as it sounds (shitty neighbours have left). So we pay fuck all in rent.

We get enough money these days that we don't even have to be careful how we spend it (probably should hide some in a mattress or something).
The problem is the government feels it has fulfilled its obligations by putting you on that pension, when in reality if they did their job properly, you would most likely be in decent employment, with the improvement in lifestyle that would bring. That said, given you have 5 children, it doesn't surprise me that the system makes it better for you not to work. Doesn't send out an amazing message to them.

They will help be get back into the workforce if I wanted them to. I'm just not in that place right now personally.
I wonder whose fault that is. Certainly, the state should take a lot of blame.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2009, 09:38:01 AM »

I wonder whose fault that is. Certainly, the state should take a lot of blame.

Meh, I blame being undiagnosed at the time I entered the workforce plus parents who had no idea how to prepare a child/young adult for the workforce.

It's now my responsibility to do something about it though. Fucking anxiety and freaky panic attacks kick my arse though. I can't even seriously think about it without nearly throwing up and shit.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2009, 12:33:06 PM »
I have known of people that want to be autistic and so seek the diagnosis purposely. These people may skew their diagnosis because they know what the psychologist wants to see, they can get their diagnosis that way.

Goodness, I thought it be hard to trick the doctors because they can tell what is fake and what isn't and can tell if their patients is faking something or not. They must be very good actors and liars then. That's the only way to trick a doctor.

Blasted

« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
 :agreed:

I tried to pretend I have ADHD so I could get Adderall but my shrink didn't believe me  :(

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2009, 01:04:13 PM »
Isn't that the self diagnosed that does it? I heard people who do actually have the condition try and help themselves and get better and cope in the real world while the ones who are just self diagnosed and don't really have it complain and use it as an excuse to not change. There are real ones out there who are that way too. I am sure there are self diagnosed out there who do try and change and try and help themselves.

Nah. The dx'd people are arseholes, just the same as everyone else. The insight to actually try to help yourself doesn't have a lot to do with an official dx, just brains.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2009, 01:04:59 PM »
I have known of people that want to be autistic and so seek the diagnosis purposely. These people may skew their diagnosis because they know what the psychologist wants to see, they can get their diagnosis that way.

They are idiots.

That said, it's entirely possible.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2009, 01:33:06 PM »
I have Asparagus syndrome
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline matthe

• gifted asshole
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • quit fucking with my dogs equilibrium yo
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2009, 01:36:06 PM »
i have mcdonalds disorder
feix ma spellan. ai nide halp. coz i caent duet.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2009, 01:43:49 PM »
It's just like Munchuasens except people are going in to fake having a condition so they can get diagnosed. I don't understand why people would want to do that. I have never heard of any case. Do they do it so they can get attention and sympathy from people or just so they have an excuse to be a jerk and all?

But there are also diagnosed people out there who do use their condition to gain sympathy or attention and complain about their real problems they don't want to fix. They just want sympathy and attention.

I have also heard of people faking learning disabilities just so they get more time on their school work or get their work modified, etc. and people faking other conditions so they get things they want like accomodations in public. I am sure they always get caught because it's so hard to fake something but people like us aren't qualified to say someone is faking it. Just because someone looks normal in a wheel chair doesn't mean they are faking it. Just because someone parks in the handicapped spot and the person doesn't look disabled doesn't mean they aren't disabled.

I remember in South Park where Cartman faked having Tourettes so he have an excuse to be even more of a jerk and get away with saying very offensive things and get away with ripping on Kyle for being Jewish. I am sure there are people out there who do fake Tourettes just so they can get away with saying profanity in public and insulting people and no one will know that person is faking it except a doctor. I am sure some people would know because if they know someone who has TS or they have it themselves, they would see the person's traits are too exaggerated so they would know the person is faking it.

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2009, 01:45:26 PM »

Is that when your pee smells funny?

Blasted

« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2009, 01:51:36 PM »

Is that when your pee smells funny?

It's when you commit unspeakable acts with an asparagus.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2009, 02:02:44 PM »
i'm just a sexy genius

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2009, 02:33:43 PM »
OMG, you too? :o

- Albert Einstein