Educational

Author Topic: wondering if people could be diagnosed wrong as aspergers  (Read 4604 times)

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: wondering if people could be diagnosed wrong as aspergers
« Reply #150 on: September 02, 2009, 02:52:05 PM »
Why do people want you looking at them as you speak to them or as they speak to you?

Because they are needy people who always need reassurance you are listening to them by looking at their eyes. They don't want to ask if you are listening to them because they are too lazy to ask.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #151 on: September 03, 2009, 07:21:48 AM »
Why do people want you looking at them as you speak to them or as they speak to you?

Because they are needy people who always need reassurance you are listening to them by looking at their eyes. They don't want to ask if you are listening to them because they are too lazy to ask.

Apparently 10% of a conversation is the actual words spoken, the rest is body language/facial expression/voice tone etc.

Also some people have slight hearing problems and need to look at your lips when you talk.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #152 on: September 03, 2009, 01:16:25 PM »
For deaf people it's different but so many so called normal people want eye contact for no reason. I always say I have ears I can hear. I hear it's because that's how they know you are listening and if you don't look at them, it means you are being dishonest, hiding something, or you don't like them. Talk about paranoia. I don't think that way. Then I have also heard too much eye contact means you're lying so this is all confusing. I know people look away as they speak and look back at the person.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #153 on: September 03, 2009, 09:47:55 PM »
It all boils down to framing words with charm, you can convince anyone of anything if you know how to express it right.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #154 on: September 04, 2009, 01:00:02 AM »
For deaf people it's different but so many so called normal people want eye contact for no reason. I always say I have ears I can hear. I hear it's because that's how they know you are listening and if you don't look at them, it means you are being dishonest, hiding something, or you don't like them. Talk about paranoia. I don't think that way. Then I have also heard too much eye contact means you're lying so this is all confusing. I know people look away as they speak and look back at the person.

Think about it this way. You know how with email and posts how someone the reader can misinterpret the tone and even the meaning of your posts or other just because it's a text medium? Well it's the same with RL conversations. That's why people need face to face conversations. Plus if you hide your face that can be interpreted as you are lying because you are trying to hide the signs of lying by not looking at their face. The average liar will try and hide their face because they can't look the other person in the eye.

The eye contact thing is one we are always going to lose at. You make specific eye contact in the part of the conversation where you are trying to emphasise what you are saying. You need to do it for the right amount of time too. It's not all or nothing.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #155 on: September 04, 2009, 05:48:00 AM »
^People in the past have thought I was lying because I wouldn't look at them. Especially when I was at school.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #156 on: September 04, 2009, 03:15:16 PM »
Yes, I have a problem with that, too, but I think I'm getting better at it. They don't know what to make out of me.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #157 on: September 04, 2009, 03:23:25 PM »
I have no idea if people think I'm lying. Only way to tell is if they don't listen to me. I realized it's not that they are too stupid to understand, maybe they just don't believe me.