Educational

Author Topic: wondering if people could be diagnosed wrong as aspergers  (Read 4603 times)

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: wondering if people could be diagnosed wrong as aspergers
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2009, 10:24:54 AM »

Yeah, like this:

I'm extremely confused about what my diagnosis means about myself and the world around me, but I'd like someone to validate my erroneous notion that it somehow makes me a superior being to those who do not hold my diagnosis.
fixed.

:thumbup:

I didn't see that sentiment at all in his post; rather, he was expressing concern about the portrayal of autistics in the media. A valid concern, and one which I share.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2009, 11:35:52 AM »
What annoys me is these assholes that commit some crime, get caught, then get an aspergers dx before the trial or what have you.
I don't see the problem there - the more of us who end up in caught, the more we are seen as a problem. Which would result in far better access to support for those who need it, ideally before they end up in a situation where they are committing crimes.

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2009, 11:55:16 AM »

What annoys me is these assholes that commit some crime, get caught, then get an aspergers dx before the trial or what have you.
I don't see the problem there - the more of us who end up in caught, the more we are seen as a problem. Which would result in far better access to support for those who need it, ideally before they end up in a situation where they are committing crimes.

True, but then you get to where people assume autism dx=violent criminal.
I certainly don't want to be looked at like I am one to be wary of just because of my dx.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »

What about the court of public opinion?

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2009, 01:10:44 PM »

True, but then you get to where people assume autism dx=violent criminal.
I certainly don't want to be looked at like I am one to be wary of just because of my dx.
Don't people do just that anyway, just for different reasons? (e.g. "I dont want to be associated with him, he is an oddball" and so on )  At least with proper support more will be able to hide their dx in public.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2009, 01:13:36 PM »

What about the court of public opinion?

It depends how it plays out in all honesty - I think there are too many vested interests for it not to go our way. But if someone were to spin around and do a Hitler was on the spectrum article, it would be far more damaging (look up Michael Fitzgerald and some of the people he has attempted to historically diagnose). Put it this way, if people want to throw mud about us, they can. Regardless what we do.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2009, 02:03:59 PM »
Yeah, like this:

I'm extremely confused about what my diagnosis means about myself and the world around me, but I'd like someone to validate my erroneous notion that it somehow makes me a superior being to those who do not hold my diagnosis.
fixed.

:thumbup:

Wait a minute, isn't that just highlighting the underlying truth of his post? :zoinks:
I'm going for a nice blend of rogerian active listening techniques and mean-ass trolling.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2009, 02:36:39 PM »
To the OP: Have you ever attacked someone?

Aspies CAN be complete cunts, murderers and arseholes in general. The only difference they have from NTs is shitty social skills, nothing else. I don't believe in this "if you're an aspie, you're instantly non-violent and more intelligent!" nonsense.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2009, 04:48:26 AM »

Aspies CAN be complete cunts, murderers and arseholes in general. The only difference they have from NTs is shitty social skills, nothing else. I don't believe in this "if you're an aspie, you're instantly non-violent and more intelligent!" nonsense.

The thing is, because of said shitty social skills, we tend to end up hanging around the wrong crowds. Like criminals and drug dealers and shit.

Fuck I've been around some dangerous people and I don't care to repeat it.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2009, 04:57:04 AM »

The thing is, because of said shitty social skills, we tend to end up hanging around the wrong crowds. Like criminals and drug dealers and shit.

We are suspectable to such behaviour in the same way others are. Also, I do tend to believe people with AS are more violent than others, especially with meltdowns. I have attacked a fair amount of people when I was younger, even got a knife to my brother at one stage. :zombiefuck:

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2009, 05:09:10 AM »

We are suspectable to such behaviour in the same way others are. Also, I do tend to believe people with AS are more violent than others, especially with meltdowns. I have attacked a fair amount of people when I was younger, even got a knife to my brother at one stage. :zombiefuck:

We know there are consequences, but we dont have time to think about them nor give a fuck about them when we get a good angry going on.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2009, 05:41:01 AM »
Well yeah, when one is angry all sense of rationality goes out of the window. :zoinks:

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2009, 07:50:08 AM »
Sometimes for me it's like "yeah I know this is totally wrong, but it's just too damn much fun to stop".

Other times is like rationality is in that other car that just passed you going the other way and you saying to yourself "I think I know that guy"

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2009, 11:56:43 AM »

Kind of explains why you are so obsessed with abiding strictly by NT rules. Not the best obsession to have - there are plenty of people it has destroyed when they realise its a losing battle.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2009, 01:24:12 PM »

Kind of explains why you are so obsessed with abiding strictly by NT rules. Not the best obsession to have - there are plenty of people it has destroyed when they realise its a losing battle.

No it doesn't Einstein. I only got my dx 5 years ago when I was 32. So for my who life up until then I thought I was meant to be a normal person and I was just doing the typical trying to blend in thing so I wouldn't attract attention. The thing is, it's second nature now. Plus there is nothing wrong with fitting in when necessary.

I usually get a good 5-6 hours every night by myself to be myself.