Educational

Author Topic: standard IQ test undervalue  (Read 3252 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: standard IQ test undervalue
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 05:12:23 PM »
Here's what I got when I was tested in 2005:

14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

TheoK

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 10:46:45 PM »
My verbal IQ is about 185 or so, at least if the test is in Swedish, despite my misspellings here sometimes.

My spatial IQ is just about 100.

My EQ is 67.  :-\

P7PSP

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 10:52:34 PM »
Here's what I got when I was tested in 2005:

With all that shit redacted are you sure that is not somone else's test results?

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2009, 02:21:12 AM »
With all that shit redacted are you sure that is not somone else's test results?

I'm quite sure.  You'll have to take my word on it, though.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

P7PSP

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2009, 02:23:52 AM »
Okay Peter that's good enough for me.  ;D

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2009, 03:10:21 AM »
My verbal IQ is about 185 or so, at least if the test is in Swedish, despite my misspellings here sometimes.

What age were you when you were tested?  The test that I took uses an age-correction scheme; the maximum attainable score starts off at about 200 for young children, and scores are penalised for each year of age until 21, according to a scoring table, at which point the maximum score is somewhere around 160, IIRC.  I was 21 when I was tested, so I got the full age penalty.

TheoK

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2009, 03:16:05 AM »

What age were you when you were tested?  The test that I took uses an age-correction scheme; the maximum attainable score starts off at about 200 for young children, and scores are penalised for each year of age until 21, according to a scoring table, at which point the maximum score is somewhere around 160, IIRC.  I was 21 when I was tested, so I got the full age penalty.

I was 24 the first time, but I don't think the Swedish tests are exactly of the sane type.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2009, 06:35:14 AM »

I was 24 the first time, but I don't think the Swedish tests are exactly of the sane type.

Was this when you took a sledgehammer to your car and got sent to a mental hospital?

TheoK

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2009, 06:47:40 AM »

Was this when you took a sledgehammer to your car and got sent to a mental hospital?

No, it was before that.

By the way, mark the Freudian slip; I wrote sane.  :laugh:

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2009, 07:54:31 AM »
Sometimes it bothers me that my intelligence is so lop-sided.  If I could trade some of my verbal points for extra working memory, processing speed and perceptual abilities, I think I'd be a lot better off.  As it is, I'm articulate, but I feel quite badly hampered by my deficits, especially since the things I'm interested in don't tend to call on verbal comprehension as much as on things like working memory, arithmetic and digit span.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2009, 08:18:24 AM »
Sometimes it bothers me that my intelligence is so lop-sided.  If I could trade some of my verbal points for extra working memory, processing speed and perceptual abilities, I think I'd be a lot better off.  As it is, I'm articulate, but I feel quite badly hampered by my deficits, especially since the things I'm interested in don't tend to call on verbal comprehension as much as on things like working memory, arithmetic and digit span.

I think that the lop-sidedness in the subtest scores is part of having AS, though.  I remember my daughter's processing speed subtest score was in the mentally retarded range while on some subtests she scored extremely well, particularly one of the math ones where processing speed was not an issue.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2009, 08:01:48 PM »
I know my IQ got tested ages ago, but I don't know what it actually was.  My mom remembers some score, but I don't know what test it was, and if that was the FS score, verbal, or performance.  I also don't know if the score she remembers has anything to do with reality anyway.  She definitely wants to think I'm a genius, so she "remembers" a ridiculously high score; I kinda doubt it's right.  I know I'm smart,* but I also know my mom's memory is lousy.

*and ever-so-humble, of course
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2009, 08:04:08 PM »
Cruel, sexy AND a genius  :-*

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2009, 08:35:30 AM »
This confirms what I have suspected for a long time, btw. I guess that if they calculated with the fact that I'm an Aspie my IQ would be like 170-180 or so.  8)

/shrugs

It's just a number, Lit. Mine would be around 200, but I think it's safe to say that my IQ is not that high.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2009, 09:37:49 AM »
Cruel, sexy AND a genius  :-*
Lol.

Well, as far as scores on IQ-like tests that I *do* know for sure, I didn't hit the ninety-fifth percentile (or anywhere near, actually) when I took the GRE or MAT tests, so I'm prolly not a genius (I think you're supposed to score that high to be considered a 'genius,' or at least to be good enough for MENSA).  Then again, they're both tests people take to get into grad schools, so that prolly fucks the bellcurve... as does how much people study... so even though those tests almost seem 'comparable' and are similar in many regards to IQ tests, they don't really tell me anything translateable.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.