Author Topic: IT certification  (Read 318 times)

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
IT certification
« on: July 16, 2009, 03:45:07 PM »
Has anyone else here been through the process of studying and testing for IT certifications?  I'm considering going after the CDIA+.  It's from CompTIA, better known for the A+.  The CDIA+ is more relevant to what I do than the A+.

I've looked at websites of various companies that sell preparation kits that take the form of everything from books to practice test software.  Is it better to find a place that teaches classes?  At the very least, I plan to buy the study book.  At least that's a start.

I haven't tried applying for any jobs in the past several months.  The economy's fucked up at the moment, so now that government job of mine doesn't seem quite so bad.  (What's the point of accepting a higher-paying job if it's likely to get downsized out a short time later?)  Eventually, as the economy improves, I'll try again to trade up in the IT job market.  Until then I'll try to use my free time to get some résumé fodder.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: IT certification
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 05:21:42 PM »
I never have, but I agree about holding onto the much more secure government job for now and improving your resume for later.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 05:43:24 PM »
I've looked at websites of various companies that sell preparation kits that take the form of everything from books to practice test software.  Is it better to find a place that teaches classes?  At the very least, I plan to buy the study book.  At least that's a start.

I think it depends on your learning style. If you're good at picking things up on your own, classes might be more of a hindrance than a help, but if you do better in a structured environment, go for the classes.

I've known some people who've gotten the MCSE, but it was part of a study program in high school where they could do the certification at a nearby community college instead of taking a half-day of classes.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline jman

• Road warrior pimpdaddy of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 08:02:38 PM »
If you're going for an IT certification make sure you have experience to supplement the certification otherwise the cert is as worthless as the paper it's written on. I've heard of people holding the MCSE who couldn't figure out how to do common tasks such as accessing the C drive of another computer via a network share. :thumbdn:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 08:04:47 PM by jman »

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 09:07:32 PM »
The A+ cert was really easy to get.   From what I read the CDIA+ (as an imaging exam) shouldn't be that difficult either.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 04:22:37 PM »
The A+ cert was really easy to get.   From what I read the CDIA+ (as an imaging exam) shouldn't be that difficult either.

To prepare for the exam, did you take a class or study on your own?

As for experience, I've been in charge of a document imaging operation for six years.  If I understand correctly, the CDIA+ is all about being able to not only run such an operation, but plan and implement one from the moment an organization decides it needs it.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 07:29:43 PM »
I don't remember studying much if at all for the A+, but the exam you are taking is probably quite a bit different.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 09:44:38 PM »
I purchased a study guide for the CDIA+.  Ordered it the other day, so it should be here soon (hopefully).

I hope self-guided study with one book will suffice, because some of those other options (e.g. multimedia kit or classes) are too expensive.

Offline ,

• Rookie (be kind to me)
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 09:00:59 PM »
i am a certified network administrator

i took my classes directly from cisco and other manufacturers to get product specific training and not a technical school that only teaches theories of how things basically work

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 05:30:52 PM »
Well, I've got my study guide.  I've just been lazily reading it here and there the past few days.  At the very least, I'll read it like that all the way through, and then another time or two more seriously (actually taking the quizzes, etc.).  At that point, I'll decide if I need the class (probably will) before trying the exam.

It's quite obvious that that certification is not to be had easily.  It's not just technical stuff.  There's alot of material on interacting with business and legal-type people in the process.

It may be sometime next year before I'm ready to try the exam.