Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 335784 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #6870 on: February 15, 2007, 02:11:37 PM »
Lit: Not the same.

I'm not familiar with DUX as a brand name. Are they Swedish, or are using the term dux in the slang usage. Dux (single or plural) are speaker designs which incorporate a dual driver low frequency section. I need loud sometimes, too. How do you connect your computer to your stereo?
Some really old Philips stuff was branded DUX, including really old TVs. I don't know anything beyond that about the history of it.

As for connecting a computer, on most stereos, you'd connect the computer output to Aux or equivalent connection; that's what I do up here. What I have downstairs is not exactly a stereo, but rather an amplifier unit, and an equalizer unit in a PA rack. With the right adapters, you can connect the soundcard output to such as well.

I was hoping you would tell me about some complex, ultra-geek set-up that makes life more simple. I just use my sound card (I have an M Audio 2496 and an Audigy II, which I'm using right now.)  straight into an electronic crossover. I would eventually like to find some software, (I've seen it, but it's costly) which would do everything an active crossover can do, but within the digital realm.

My next geek purchase is probably going to be a Squeezebox, music server, after I get a decent camera.

I remember Philips PA gear, but you're talking more like forty five to fifty years since they were popular. I'm still curious. I would not have bought any thirty years ago when I was building a PA system, because they were already "old". I have since learned that being old is not as much of a handicap as I once thought.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 02:37:32 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lurk Hurk Gurk

• Super-Duper Rationalist Crackpot Mystic of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • Lhrxiag Trhe (hvng: rbt13)
« Reply #6871 on: February 15, 2007, 03:18:36 PM »
Why not use the M Audio? IIRC, it has an Envy24 chip, which makes it superior soundwise to the entire mediocre soundblaster product range.

The PA stuff is not philips, nor old. It is quite new (an InterM M1000 amplifier and Behringer EQ), as are my pair of newest, largest speakers with one tweeter horn, two 8" mid-range speakers and two 18" bass speakers each, the pretty simple but sturdy boxes home-made. That is the new, more powerful system. The DUX stuff is the old one; an older stereo with two DUX speakers and two newer ones also connected.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6872 on: February 15, 2007, 03:28:59 PM »
I remember DUX. We had a DUX TV set once...

The Audigy is a decent sound card, but the Creative drivers are crap. I don't think I've ever experienced decent drivers from Creative, actually, for ANY SoundBlaster card.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lurk Hurk Gurk

• Super-Duper Rationalist Crackpot Mystic of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • Lhrxiag Trhe (hvng: rbt13)
« Reply #6873 on: February 15, 2007, 03:34:29 PM »
The Audigy is a decent sound card, but the Creative drivers are crap. I don't think I've ever experienced decent drivers from Creative, actually, for ANY SoundBlaster card.
It is decent, and good enough for most, but while among the very best cards for gaming, there are significantly better alternatives regarding audio quality, some even much cheaper. Creative hardly makes audiophile stuff, though they like to hype it as such.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6874 on: February 15, 2007, 03:37:06 PM »
I heard that their latest, whatever it's called, is supposed to be good.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6875 on: February 15, 2007, 03:50:39 PM »
Why not use the M Audio? IIRC, it has an Envy24 chip, which makes it superior soundwise to the entire mediocre soundblaster product range.

The PA stuff is not philips, nor old. It is quite new (an InterM M1000 amplifier and Behringer EQ), as are my pair of newest, largest speakers with one tweeter horn, two 8" mid-range speakers and two 18" bass speakers each, the pretty simple but sturdy boxes home-made. That is the new, more powerful system. The DUX stuff is the old one; an older stereo with two DUX speakers and two newer ones also connected.

Yeah, most of my PA stuff is older than Behringer, and top quality from the seventies and eighties, JBL, McIntosh, Crown, etc, but I was curious about your vintage-ish Philips DUX stuff. The only Philips PA gear I've seen is from the early to mid sixties. I've never heard of it as DUX.

I can't use the M Audio, mainly because of a firmware dysfunction, I think. I'm running an AMD XP 2400 on my regular music rig and for some reason it clashes with something, musical, with the M Audio. It crashes constantly! I haven't taken the time to figure out why, since I have the Audigy. You see why I want another toy, I guess. Skip the whole soundcard scenario and go digi as far as possible.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6876 on: February 15, 2007, 03:55:31 PM »
I remember DUX. We had a DUX TV set once...

Maybe I need to take some time with my computers, here, but I find the opposite. I finally have a semi-stable Soundblaster install and I don't want to fuck it up. The M Audio crashes constantly, but your right, lots of "the dudes" who do this stuff for a living recommend the M Audio (that's why I have it), but I can't get it to work with the rest of my JUNK.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6877 on: February 15, 2007, 04:29:49 PM »
Weird, 'cause I've heard mostly good things about M Audio. I thought about getting one but they were kind of hard to find in stores here.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6878 on: February 15, 2007, 04:30:22 PM »
I'm thinking that the games section is drowning in quizzes.

- Albert Einstein

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #6879 on: February 15, 2007, 04:35:59 PM »

I've been thinking that all afternoon.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #6880 on: February 15, 2007, 04:46:36 PM »

hey, why don't we put them all into a sub forum....
Misunderstood.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #6881 on: February 15, 2007, 04:47:17 PM »

I suggested that earlier- I think its a good idea.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #6882 on: February 15, 2007, 04:48:45 PM »

I suggested that earlier- I think its a good idea.

i know you did.

i jst thought the idea could use a little more advertisement since it was originally flooded by DUX talk.
Misunderstood.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6883 on: February 15, 2007, 04:49:57 PM »
I third that. I'm sick of them, to be honest. One or two is OK, but dozens?

DUX isn't the problem, though. ;D

- Albert Einstein

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #6884 on: February 15, 2007, 04:50:14 PM »
I thought it had gotten lost in the flood.  :)