Author Topic: Illegal immigration in the USA  (Read 1430 times)

Teejay

Illegal immigration in the USA
« on: August 01, 2007, 07:21:11 AM »
I heard there are like 20 million illegal immigrants and their children in the USA (comparable to 1.3 million in Australia and 4 million in UK). Why hasn't the government there done anything to prevent more illegal immigrants coming like border fencing, vastly more patrols, serious punishment for employers who hire illegal immigrants and make life as unpleasant as possible for those wanting to enter the USA illegally.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Illegal immigration in the USA
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 07:57:13 AM »
I heard there are like 20 million illegal immigrants and their children in the USA (comparable to 1.3 million in Australia and 4 million in UK). Why hasn't the government there done anything to prevent more illegal immigrants coming like border fencing, vastly more patrols, serious punishment for employers who hire illegal immigrants and make life as unpleasant as possible for those wanting to enter the USA illegally.

Teejay, what's your point? The number of illegal immigrants per capita in UK (4/60) and Australia (1.3/21) are are roughly the same as in the US (20/300).

::)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 10:47:46 AM »

you have to ask?

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 11:05:54 AM »
Erm, because these illegals actaully benefit the US economy. Also the US is a bigger nation, so if you scale it you have less of a problem than the UK and Aus. May I ask, why do you hate illegals so much?

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 11:11:33 AM »

The US is now dependent on illegal immigrant labour in many places, thus it's unprofitable to be too harsh on them.  Still, political factors demand that something is seen to be done, and thus many illegal immigrants are intercepted or die in their attempt due to natural hazards they have to navigate to get into the US.  I suspect it's the same in the UK and Australia; the desire of the general public to get rid of them has to be balanced by the desire of businesses to keep and encourage them, while maintaining their illegality (so that they have no legal protection and can be exploited for profit).
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 11:59:15 AM »
Erm, because these illegals actaully benefit the US economy. Also the US is a bigger nation, so if you scale it you have less of a problem than the UK and Aus. May I ask, why do you hate illegals so much?

He's our resident bigot. He luvvs the Muslims, too. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 12:04:41 PM »

The US is now dependent on illegal immigrant labour in many places, thus it's unprofitable to be too harsh on them.  Still, political factors demand that something is seen to be done, and thus many illegal immigrants are intercepted or die in their attempt due to natural hazards they have to navigate to get into the US.  I suspect it's the same in the UK and Australia; the desire of the general public to get rid of them has to be balanced by the desire of businesses to keep and encourage them, while maintaining their illegality (so that they have no legal protection and can be exploited for profit).

Yes and we also pay to educate their children in their native language and pay for their medical bills. Where's the discrepancy?

There has to be a better plan, but the polititians stumble over themselves trying to come out on the right side of this issue.

BTW, the right side means getting re-elected.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 12:11:26 PM by MarkingDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 12:35:05 PM »

Lol, did he vote for Bush?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 12:45:46 PM »

Lol, did he vote for Bush?

I don't believe he had the opportunity. 
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 12:46:38 PM »
That's what Area 51 is for, no?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 05:28:46 PM »

voting for Bush? :o

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 05:40:39 PM »

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 05:43:08 PM »

Funny a place famed for its aliens would vote for Bush...

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 05:53:45 PM »

Funny a place famed for its aliens would vote for Bush...

that's what i thought, too. not all aliens are illegal. they're just locked up.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 05:56:22 PM »
or beaming people up in airports.  :P