Author Topic: Just one quick bitch ...  (Read 250226 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Just one quick bitch ...
« Reply #16650 on: January 31, 2011, 05:15:58 AM »
I know I've probably said this before, but when I was a small child, I was taught to be quiet in the damn library.

Me too! Now the library is just as rowdy as any street corner, and the librarians don't say anything about it!  :grrr:

It's because everything these days has to be "people-friendly". The trouble is, though, that it seems that people are only really people when interacting with other people- if you just want to sit quietly and read a book, you don't count as a real person, just as a stick-in-the-mud spoilsport who is ruining everyone's fun.

Today there was a little boy who was screaming "I won! I won!" at a volume that was loud enough to be painful at the other side of the library, and noone made any attempt whatsoever to shut him up or at least explain the concept of his indoor voice.

I don't understand how parents can tolerate that! I suppose they must learn to tune it out.   :dunno:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline PuppetSockPenguin

• Superlurker of the penguin elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • experience is memory is experience is
« Reply #16651 on: January 31, 2011, 05:17:53 AM »
I know I've probably said this before, but when I was a small child, I was taught to be quiet in the damn library.

Me too! Now the library is just as rowdy as any street corner, and the librarians don't say anything about it!  :grrr:

It's because everything these days has to be "people-friendly". The trouble is, though, that it seems that people are only really people when interacting with other people- if you just want to sit quietly and read a book, you don't count as a real person, just as a stick-in-the-mud spoilsport who is ruining everyone's fun.

Today there was a little boy who was screaming "I won! I won!" at a volume that was loud enough to be painful at the other side of the library, and noone made any attempt whatsoever to shut him up or at least explain the concept of his indoor voice.

I don't understand how parents can tolerate that! I suppose they must learn to tune it out.   :dunno:

I don't know either. I couldn't tolerate it; one of the many reasons why I'll never be a parent.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16652 on: January 31, 2011, 05:35:43 AM »

I don't know either. I couldn't tolerate it; one of the many reasons why I'll never be a parent.

That's very sad that nobody tried to at least explain indoor voice to him.  Of course if they had, hopefully it would have been in a very quiet voice to try to get him to follow suit so you may not have heard it across the library.  I always remind my daughter before we enter a library that she needs to use her "quiet whispery voice" and I demonstrate.  She hasn't always remembered, but she has been reminded.

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #16653 on: January 31, 2011, 05:44:48 AM »

That's very sad that nobody tried to at least explain indoor voice to him.  Of course if they had, hopefully it would have been in a very quiet voice to try to get him to follow suit so you may not have heard it across the library.  I always remind my daughter before we enter a library that she needs to use her "quiet whispery voice" and I demonstrate.  She hasn't always remembered, but she has been reminded.

It would have had to have been very quiet if they explained it to him; I heard nothing, and I can hear the library staff talking in normal conversational voices from across the library.
When it started I was on a computer near the children's area, and noone, unless they were using sign language, said anything. It continued for a few minutes after that as I got offline and moved across the library to read.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16654 on: January 31, 2011, 06:00:59 AM »

It would have had to have been very quiet if they explained it to him; I heard nothing, and I can hear the library staff talking in normal conversational voices from across the library.
When it started I was on a computer near the children's area, and noone, unless they were using sign language, said anything. It continued for a few minutes after that as I got offline and moved across the library to read.

You're probably quite right that nobody corrected him, but I'm just saying that it's a big mistake to tell kids to be quieter in a loud or even normal voice volume.  If you get very quiet instead, and maybe put your index finger against your mouth, they are more likely to get quieter too.  My daughter's autistic, so it doesn't always work, but she's gotten pretty good about it lately after a lot of practice in libraries and movie theaters.

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #16655 on: January 31, 2011, 06:06:00 AM »

You're probably quite right that nobody corrected him, but I'm just saying that it's a big mistake to tell kids to be quieter in a loud or even normal voice volume.  If you get very quiet instead, and maybe put your index finger against your mouth, they are more likely to get quieter too.  My daughter's autistic, so it doesn't always work, but she's gotten pretty good about it lately after a lot of practice in libraries and movie theaters.

Of course, I managed to miss the main point of what you said. Typical.

I agree with that.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #16656 on: January 31, 2011, 06:14:22 AM »
My IE is all screwy and I can't quote and reply to longish posts :-\
Get Firefox, Internet Explorer sucks.

I got no choice in the matter. It's my work computer using one of those terminal server things.

It only does it on this site for some reason.

Can you empty the browser cache?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #16657 on: January 31, 2011, 06:15:32 AM »
Yeah people who talk and stuff in libraries need to go fuck themselves (somewhere where I can't hear)

Does my head in

I am over-sensitive to noise like that I admit, but fucking hell

Does it drive you nuts when you are in a public place and people are jabbering and you can hear all the conversations and your mind gets overwhelmed?

Drives me nuts.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16658 on: January 31, 2011, 02:09:07 PM »
me too

TheoK

« Reply #16659 on: January 31, 2011, 02:38:57 PM »
That's why people in general should die! :litigious: :pirateship:  :viking:

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #16660 on: January 31, 2011, 04:59:35 PM »
That's why people in general should die! :litigious: :pirateship:  :viking:

:agreed:

Let's start with you. :thumbup:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16661 on: January 31, 2011, 05:01:19 PM »
Got a stight headache. I think it's from shower stress before

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #16662 on: January 31, 2011, 05:43:26 PM »
Very sore from working in confined spaces today
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #16663 on: February 01, 2011, 01:41:38 AM »
I want to be able to stop this:

"Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post."

I don't give a fuck! I talk, for the most part, with myself on here and usually from my phone. It is very annoying to have this pop several times before finally being able to submit. Especially when on the phone.

I'm sure there are many situations you like popping several times before you are finally able to submit.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #16664 on: February 01, 2011, 02:29:42 AM »
Hi Eclair! Long time no see.

My bitch for now: all filmmakers are idiots and should be shot.

- Albert Einstein