Educational

Author Topic: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!  (Read 106670 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2007, 08:34:53 PM »

I have "Goo" and "Dirty" on this HD. I've heard mixed things about the newest one from last year, "Rather Ripped" but I have not heard it. How could I almost forget about Sonic Youth?  :green:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

duncvis

« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2007, 09:39:12 PM »
I haven't heard the new one either. Daydream Nation is my favourite.  8)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 09:49:16 PM by duncvis »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2007, 08:14:41 PM »

I still need that one, but I'm curious about the present state, also. I'll have to download it, probably. We have squat for music stores, here, except there are a couple of used stores that I like.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2007, 08:20:23 PM »
Shit! Just saw this ...

Boston's Brad Delp died, yesterday. Not my favorite band, but I hate seeing all these old rockers die so young. He was fifty five.

Gonna hitch a ride 
Head for the other side 
Leave it all behind 
Never change my mind 
Gonna sail away 
Sun lights another day 
Freedom on my mind 
Carry me away for the last time
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 08:47:17 AM by DirtDawg »

Scrapheap

« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2007, 08:26:15 PM »
The only problem I have with Boston is that most of their stuff sounds the same. Their sound did'nt evolve with the times.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2007, 08:56:11 PM »

It's always going to be that way when you have a "Signature Sound" that is the key to your success. Lots of dinosaur bands did not evolve when the punk meteor hit. Seriously, can you see Ozzy or Ritchie Blackmore or Jimmy Page playing Green Day, Bauhaus, Nightwish or Collective Soul or just about anything that came after the eighties?

:laugh:

Scrapheap

« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2007, 09:01:21 PM »
No, but Robert Plant carved out his own sound (like it or not)  ;)

Ozzy's music certianly changed as time went. Got to give him credit for making the top 40 every few years.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2007, 09:33:43 PM »

I love Robert Plant, all versions, even though you won't find a more emo sounding fucker out there. He is emo with a hard-on, taken to extremes. Ozzy's cool, too, but I honestly don't see much difference in most of his music, except that he pursued the commercial sound a bit as time went on. I can't blame him too much for that. You have got to play to your audience to survive.

Don't get me wrong ... I'm not a music snob, at all. I like all the bands I just mentioned, even though I seemingly used them as negative examples. I don't really prefer anything different from most folks, just more of it and I have a little wider tickle spot for music, in general.

duncvis

« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2007, 04:36:39 AM »
I try not to be a music snob, it just seems that anything that is marketed for a mass audience is by its nature insipid, safe and cheesy, all too often. Now and then a band or artist becomes popular despite not sucking copious amounts of corporate cock (e.g. Green Day) but I usually assume that anything they would play on the radio is unlikely to appeal to me. I love being proved wrong though.  8)

Currently playing a shitload of Dinosaur Jr. tracks. Nice and fuzzy to wake up to after a night on the beer. :zzz: :beergrin: :coffee:

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2007, 01:52:54 PM »
I try not to be a music snob, it just seems that anything that is marketed for a mass audience is by its nature insipid, safe and cheesy, all too often. Now and then a band or artist becomes popular despite not sucking copious amounts of corporate cock (e.g. Green Day) but I usually assume that anything they would play on the radio is unlikely to appeal to me. I love being proved wrong though.  8)

Currently playing a shitload of Dinosaur Jr. tracks. Nice and fuzzy to wake up to after a night on the beer. :zzz: :beergrin: :coffee:

Nirvana and Soundgarden also pretty much did the same thing, though I can't say as much as all the other Seattle bands that got signed to majors following the Major Label discovery of Nirvana... at least the cool thing about the Seattle Grunge thing, is that it didn't turn into something as ludicrous as the late 80's LA Hair Metal scene, but then again that whole scene was about whoring yourself out at every opportunity.
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

duncvis

« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2007, 03:24:39 PM »
Yeah, I remember the post-Nirvana Seattle fad - all the majors signing groups of flannel shirt wearing longhairs at random. I did like Soundgarden though, shame Audioslave suck.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2007, 08:38:18 PM »
Traffic, "Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys"

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2007, 08:47:23 PM »
Bathory - The Stallion
Napalm  Death - Evolved As One
Amebix - The Darkest Hour
Celtic Frost - Return To Eve

--Yeah, Crust/Speed/Nordic metal has been the dominant musical theme this weekend.
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2007, 10:11:18 PM »
Sounds like fun!

Scrapheap

« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2007, 11:58:53 PM »
HELP!!! Apatura_Iris put Supertramp in my head and I can't get it out!!! :GA: :wallbutt: