Educational

Author Topic: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!  (Read 106448 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Stay the fuck out of my music thread!
« on: February 10, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »
Well, unless you want to list music that you like to listen to.

I just bought the SACD version of Dark Side Of The Moon and I'm listening to it in surround sound. I think it's better than the vinyl for pure clarity. The surround is subtle and very live  sounding.

Awesome!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

duncvis

Re: Stay the fuck out of my music thread!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 05:36:24 PM »
Well, unless you want to list music that you like to listen to.

Try and stop me! :rock:

one of my favourite albums is 'Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea' by PJ Harvey. Its probably her bluesiest album, full of passion, rawness and unease, but the strength of her voice ties it together and makes the hairs stand up on my neck. Fucking awesome.

8)

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 06:25:01 PM »

Richard Thompson, "Old Kit Bag"
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 06:52:03 PM »
Okay I will stay out. ;)

Won't tell what Bands I like either. :P
Guardian of the Empire

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 07:08:26 PM »
Okay I will stay out. ;)

Take that silly hat with you, too.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 07:12:41 PM »
Okay I will stay out. ;)

Take that silly hat with you, too.
I thought I better leave here just so You now I was here in the end.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 07:34:58 PM »

Michael Brecker is next. I have seven of his CDs. I've been playing a lot of his music since he lost his battle with leukemia a couple of weeks ago.

duncvis

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 04:40:16 AM »
Never heard of him. Mind you, my awareness of artists outside the genres of interest to me is patchy.  :-[

I'm in a Tanzwut mood - I've been playing lots of Tanzwut since they were recommended to me a couple of months back.

My favourite is Labyrinth der Sinne, cracking music for stimming on cos it pounds and its busy and cheers me up no end.  ;D Tanzwut (German for 'dance rage') are a German band - the lyrics are in German, but as with Rammstein it works best that way. Their sound is definitely offbeat - a mix of mediaeval instruments, metal guitars, thumping basslines and industrial electronics.  8) *dances like a mad bastard*

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 09:26:25 AM »

Michael was a jazz artist. I have quite an attachment to the people I have made music with and I always hate to see talent die.

I like a lot of what you have listed in the past. Tanzwut is one I downloaded several songs from, but I can't listen to MP3, very often, unless they are much higher resolution than the standard offerings. MP3s make my teeth itch and I've never figured out how to scratch them.

Have you been to their site? I'm going to order the "Labyrinth ..." album, (and a couple more) after I get some more bills paid. I really miss good heavy music at times. I like to dance around like a mad bastard, too, especially since I lost my fucking air guitar. I put it down somewhere and I'll be damned if I can remember where.

Right now, Leo Kottke, "A Shout Toward Noon"  ... Amazing!

duncvis

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 12:55:34 PM »
That's the only trouble with invisible instruments. Mine comes out to play occasionally, but I usually play kickass air drums.  :laugh:

Now playing: Asian Dub Foundation - Community Music. Fucking great album - bouncy hip-hop rhythms, Asian instruments and percussion, heavy dub basslines and loads of punk attitude.  :eyebrows:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 01:35:46 PM »
My favourite is Labyrinth der Sinne, cracking music for stimming on cos it pounds and its busy and cheers me up no end.  ;D Tanzwut (German for 'dance rage') are a German band - the lyrics are in German, but as with Rammstein it works best that way. Their sound is definitely offbeat - a mix of mediaeval instruments, metal guitars, thumping basslines and industrial electronics.  8) *dances like a mad bastard*

Hey, that actually sounds pretty good. I won't make an ass out of myself by listing off what groups I already know, but I'm curious about this one. Can you post MP3's or do you only buy legit?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 02:02:05 PM »

Hey, that actually sounds pretty good. I won't make an ass out of myself by listing off what groups I already know, but I'm curious about this one. Can you post MP3's or do you only buy legit?

Making an ass out of yourself, here, would include almost everything, other than listing your favorite music, so flip your polarity switch. I already linked to their site, once. I recommend supporting the artists whose art you treasure, including all us, lazy-assed musicians.

... or for two dollars, twenty two cents you can order the download from here.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 02:06:16 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 02:16:56 PM »

Need a U2 fix, right now.

duncvis

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 03:17:44 PM »

Making an ass out of yourself, here, would include almost everything, other than listing your favorite music, so flip your polarity switch. I already linked to their site, once. I recommend supporting the artists whose art you treasure, including all us, lazy-assed musicians.

... or for two dollars, twenty two cents you can order the download from here.

I buy legit, when I can afford to - but almost ALWAYS 'pre-listen' before parting company with cash, since I have only enough to spend on music for a fraction of the stuff I'd like to listen to. Last year I bought a few CDs on small independent labels by bands who I'd discovered through P2P downloads and enjoyed. I NEVER buy from RIAA affiliated labels - fuck them. If I want it bad enough I'll buy second-hand, and support artists by telling everyone who'll listen how fucking good they arer and going to gigs/buying merch when I can afford it. An interesting site if you're at all interested in the politics of music distribution is http://www.downhillbattle.org . :soapbox:

Oh yeh - and on their site, you can stream their tracks. :rock:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 03:22:07 PM by duncvis »

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 03:27:47 PM »
Making an ass out of yourself, here, would include almost everything, other than listing your favorite music, so flip your polarity switch.

LOL. I think I just rolled a critical fail on my diplomacy check. This was actually an attempt at a peace offering to Dunc, a way of saying "I know we're going at each other on that other thread, but no hard feelings". The making an ass of myself comment was because my knowledge of metal doesn't go much past Evanescence and Nightwish.... which I like but I happen to know Dunc loathes. I didn't want to spam an "elite" music thread with basic crap.

Other than those two, I like Savatage and Luca Turilli.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.