Educational

Author Topic: I want TRUMP to win  (Read 4352 times)

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: I want TRUMP to win
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2018, 09:20:13 PM »

Pump gasoline prices are the lowest in almost two years.
Average prices at the pump have been trending upward over the past two years. 2018 began the year with a national average price of 2.19 which hasn't been seen since 2014. Today's average is 2.686. The very end of 2014 is when gas prices dramatically fell, and continued with a downward trend through the end of 2016. In 2017 they began a rising trend. However have the impression most Americans are satisfied if it stays anywhere under three dollars. AAA sourced graphs are below.

Sorry, but your graphs did not show up when I first saw your post.

I paid $2.22 at the pump this afternoon. Not really reflected in your graphs. It has been a while since prices were so agreeable.
The graphs are based on national daily averages. State averages today range from 2.29 to 3.86. The national average today is 2.68. My state average today is 2.55, while the lowest price in my local area today is 2.24. Husband says I shouldn't buy the cheapest gas though.

It all gets tested here at least even before they let it off the boat.  The supply house I used to go to a shared a building with a company that did the testing and they went to the docks(only about a half mile away) and got samples right off the ships
Husband says my car uses the middle priced octane gas, and he's also picky about using shell stations. Don't personally know anything about it, but it's not an inconvenience to just take his advice. :laugh:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2018, 09:41:37 PM »

Average prices at the pump have been trending upward over the past two years. 2018 began the year with a national average price of 2.19 which hasn't been seen since 2014. Today's average is 2.686. The very end of 2014 is when gas prices dramatically fell, and continued with a downward trend through the end of 2016. In 2017 they began a rising trend. However have the impression most Americans are satisfied if it stays anywhere under three dollars. AAA sourced graphs are below.

I paid $2.22 at the pump this afternoon. Not really reflected in your graphs. It has been a while since prices were so agreeable.
The graphs are based on national daily averages. State averages today range from 2.29 to 3.86. The national average today is 2.68. My state average today is 2.55, while the lowest price in my local area today is 2.24. Husband says I shouldn't buy the cheapest gas though.

I typically buy gas at the same BP stop over week after week.

I used to buy Amoco up here in the north, but BP gobbled them up, then Arco later. Way back when I was a Texan it was Texaco all the way! That is now Shell, Chevron and such.

They have all had horrible spills all over the globe. Kind of hard to figure out which one to boycott if oil spills means anything to you.
I have recently (past few years) seen Amoco and Shell labelled trucks (no longer exist, right?) filling all over the place, even at Speedway, Marathon and 7-11 where it is generally the same price as everywhere else.

Not sure I believe that there is a difference anymore. Unless you have special dinosaurs, decaying sea life and plant matter that your favorite gasoline came from, of course. To me, it is the shortcuts they take in distilling like allowing impurities to remain in the mix and the additives they have to offer, after the processing.

I think that you should go to a gas station that does a tremendous amount of business and that way you will usually have the "freshest" gasoline available, keep your tank topped up.
Not much else we can do.
Add an occasional system cleaner to your tank to ensure that water does not build up in the bottom of your tank (a big problem here in the cold-ish, then next day, warmish Indiana area), but be careful, most of those are ethanol based. Make sure your car can tolerate ethanol.
Outside of all that? Not much, except buy the freshest gasoline you can find from the busiest stops you can find.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2018, 09:49:28 PM »

Still in the $2,75 range around here. :zombiefuck:   The lowest I remember paying is .77 when I first got a car in the 80s
By that time gasoline prices had almost tripled from when I started driving.
Then you could not find "high test" fuel, which several of my old hot rods needed.
 :autism:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2018, 12:25:56 AM »
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2018, 01:19:50 AM »
Yeah. The land that my mother owns now, which will be mine some day has buttloads of oil beneath it and the family owns the mineral rights.

There is an abandoned oil well on my uncle's land, less than a quarter mile away from my mom's property, but it is too expensive to pump "our" oil out of the ground with imports so cheap.
Used to run that well in the seventies, but it became too costly. There is a refinery about four miles away that uses crude trucked from a port in Houston to keep things going. That's about three hundred sixty miles or five hundred eighty kilometers, one way.

Almost no one in Texas is pumping oil out of their own ground these days. Too costly.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2018, 05:57:25 AM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/gas-prices/#20183:United-States:USD:g

Interesting. I'd love to pay what you pay.
That's a great website. According to the charts, while it's more expensive, it's still more affordable because people in the UK use less gas. Canadian consumption looks much closer to the US, though their prices are still about a dollar higher.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2018, 08:41:53 AM »
I don't worry too much about the price of fuel because my little 3 cylinder car uses bugger all.

If it gets too much more expensive I'll get an electric car like McDangly has.

My Suzuki 650 V-Strom gets 60+ MPG.  :M

Unfortunately, there's only a 7-8 month riding season here. High deserts like this one have 4 distinct seasons and we can get our fair share of snow.

That wasn't a problem in Cali (Mediterranean climate) or in the low deserts. You can ride year round in the southeast too.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2018, 08:48:01 AM »
Not sure I believe that there is a difference anymore. Unless you have special dinosaurs, decaying sea life and plant matter that your favorite gasoline came from, of course. To me, it is the shortcuts they take in distilling like allowing impurities to remain in the mix and the additives they have to offer, after the processing.

:agreed:

This is the main difference in the quality of gas.

In my bikes I only use 91 octane ethanol free "clean" gas. You pay a bit more for it but most bikes sip gas anyways.  :M

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2018, 11:29:17 AM »
Truck is like the alcoholic that likes MD 20/20.
Cheap to buy....but the quantities kill you.

VW drinks in moderation but nothing but top shelf (Turbo).

I probably run about even some days with both of them.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2018, 11:48:17 AM »
My Jag's got great mileage. :M
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2018, 01:21:20 PM »

Does it have heated seats? :M

Probably, I think the older one my friend has does. :laugh:

That's one option that makes the price of feeding the VW well worth it.

Haven't had that since my parents had Saab's...totally forgot how nice that is in the cold weather. 

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2018, 01:55:52 PM »

Haven't had that since my parents had Saab's...totally forgot how nice that is in the cold weather.

Nope. It was ordered by a guy in Italy. Heated seats are considered to be a "winter option" by Jaguar over there.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2018, 04:36:46 PM »
Never liked heated seats; feels like I peed myself. :laugh: The oldest's car has heated seats, but also the option to only heat the back. That was good.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2018, 06:56:22 PM »

Nope. It was ordered by a guy in Italy. Heated seats are considered to be a "winter option" by Jaguar over there.

It is considered standard equipment on upper grade vehicles here in Indiana. My wife's new car has the capability of seat, back or both heating and adjustable lumbar support. Also has heated mirrors and a heated steering wheel.
Hell my older SUV (it is a 2012) has heated mirrors, seats and electric accessory heat for frozen over windshield to get you going a bit more quickly on those rough winter mornings.
Mileage is not great on mine, though. Hovers around twenty in town.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 06:59:34 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2018, 08:33:33 PM »
Never liked heated seats; feels like I peed myself. :laugh: The oldest's car has heated seats, but also the option to only heat the back. That was good.
That's exactly what my mum said when my parents had their Jeep Compass. They ended up trading it in for a Holden Captiva because it guzzled petrol.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae