Author Topic: What have you done today?  (Read 134447 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What have you done today?
« Reply #4395 on: October 02, 2008, 10:19:01 AM »
Drove across half the bloody country--again.

you'd think IT people could manage video conferencing, wouldn't you?  ::)
Video conferencing really sucks. Has your university got any of those "magic" lecture things where you can do a lecture by video conference?

dunno.  but i do know that some of the self-proclaimed eco types are forever flying round the world to attend conferences, and it really pisses me off.   >:(
Being there in person has a lot better effect than being there by video. It allows you to connect a lot better with your audience, which means your message is going to go down so much more. Well worth the carbon cost with the airfare in practise.

I agree with you that being there in person has a lot better effect and lets you connect better with your audience much better than video conferencing.

Not when you're an Aspie! It just makes it more uncomfortable.
Even the best NT's get stage fright. But what I do know is seeing public figures in person is an awful lot better than seeing them on the news. For one, they are actually saying something a lot more meaningful.

So, you are quite susceptible to the impact of their charisma in person.

You are being foolish.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #4396 on: October 02, 2008, 10:33:50 AM »

Video conferencing really sucks. Has your university got any of those "magic" lecture things where you can do a lecture by video conference?

dunno.  but i do know that some of the self-proclaimed eco types are forever flying round the world to attend conferences, and it really pisses me off.   >:(
Being there in person has a lot better effect than being there by video. It allows you to connect a lot better with your audience, which means your message is going to go down so much more. Well worth the carbon cost with the airfare in practise.

I agree with you that being there in person has a lot better effect and lets you connect better with your audience much better than video conferencing.

Even the best NT's get stage fright. But what I do know is seeing public figures in person is an awful lot better than seeing them on the news. For one, they are actually saying something a lot more meaningful.

So, you are quite susceptible to the impact of their charisma in person.

You are being foolish.
No, I find it more enjoyable to listen to in the first place (so I pay more attention!). Especially when their remarks are actually tailored to the people in the room as opposed the generic general population. Its even better when you get to ask questions of course.

Though I disliked Ann Widdecombe even more after hearing what she had to say.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #4397 on: October 02, 2008, 10:42:09 AM »
You said in reference to seeing them in person that  " ... they are actually saying something a lot more meaningful."

This calls into doubt our perception in a way that reflects more of their persona than the content of their words.

Distracted by five times five dodgy senses or not, I still know the difference.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4398 on: October 02, 2008, 11:24:29 AM »

I was assuming that the self-proclaimed eco type people Lucifer was talking about who are forever flying round the world to attend conferences were NT but even my husband finds most of communication is nonverbal.  When he was teleconferencing, he was unaware that some of the people in the room were making rolling eye faces while he was talking, then continuing the conversation after he thought the meeting was over and making decisions behind his back.  He found out this after he had someone he trusted sit in on one of the meetings while he teleconferenced.  After that, he flew up there to attend these meetings in person.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #4399 on: October 02, 2008, 01:26:19 PM »
You said in reference to seeing them in person that  " ... they are actually saying something a lot more meaningful."

This calls into doubt our perception in a way that reflects more of their persona than the content of their words.

Distracted by five times five dodgy senses or not, I still know the difference.

Correct, I did say that they are saying something a lot more meaningful. Why? They can actually (a) target their audience (b) know its less likely to enter the media and (c) are not going to be censored/moderated by the media. Plus there are little or no other distractions.

However you do have body language to go on too which does allow most people to better judge the honesty in what they are saying. You also the get the bonus of them being more easily being able to highlight the key points, meaning you can spend more energy and effort considering the complexities.

Why else would people often pay £100's and travelling a long way to see someone, when they could listen to a cassette or watch a video? Because the benefits are very real.

Blasted

« Reply #4400 on: October 02, 2008, 01:28:34 PM »
drunk my fcking arse off

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #4401 on: October 02, 2008, 01:57:12 PM »
Why else would people often pay £100's and travelling a long way to see someone, when they could listen to a cassette or watch a video? Because the benefits are very real.

The benefits aren't necessarily in factual data. We're most of us hardwired to respond emotionally to human nonverbals. So yeah, it's going to feel richer and more meaningful, whether or not it actually is.

Many people prefer to watch a TV news bite than a written article, even though the article transmits more facts. On TV you get to watch someone tell it to you, in situ.

It all depends on what you find meaningful.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4402 on: October 02, 2008, 02:53:10 PM »
and you haven't?  :P

i've done more or less fuck all today, due to a pooter which decided to be ill, and the only way to make it better was to sit and wait for it to run a program which took forever, and didn't work for the first FIVE goes.  and then my nice neighbour wanted a letter typed, and it took over an hour, by which time, i had to plan my seminar for tomorrow, needed to eat and have a sleep.  so, i still have 14 bags of stuff i don't want cluttering up my house and getting in the way, still have to go out and get petrol and various other stuff, wash my hair and stop panicking.

i fucking hate days like this.   >:(

:( :hug:?

Just returning the favor!

thanks, hon.   :)

what's your PhD in?

Doctors Unite!  :laugh:

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #4403 on: October 02, 2008, 02:54:02 PM »

The benefits aren't necessarily in factual data. We're most of us hardwired to respond emotionally to human nonverbals. So yeah, it's going to feel richer and more meaningful, whether or not it actually is.

Many people prefer to watch a TV news bite than a written article, even though the article transmits more facts. On TV you get to watch someone tell it to you, in situ.

It all depends on what you find meaningful.
Its not the quantity of facts that a present, but the number of facts you retain. Even more to the point, its what and how much you can do with them after the event (be it reading an article, watching TV or going to the speech). You could watch a news bulletin or read an article and it be a complete waste of time. For a speech that you have paid to go to, its likely you will have gone away and have learnt something useful. Even better you can return inspired.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4404 on: October 02, 2008, 02:55:05 PM »

<clip> i still have 14 bags of stuff i don't want cluttering up my house <clip>

*rends one of those bags neatly into the finest, most delectable possible chocolate, leaving her thirteen bags of stuff to deal with, a much more manageable number*

dawg, you surely know the way to my heart.  :-*

and i've arranged for a local charity to collect the bags tomorrow - yay, i'll be able to walk round my house without it being an obstacle course again!  :woohoo:

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #4405 on: October 02, 2008, 02:58:08 PM »

i've done more or less fuck all today, due to a pooter which decided to be ill, and the only way to make it better was to sit and wait for it to run a program which took forever, and didn't work for the first FIVE goes.  and then my nice neighbour wanted a letter typed, and it took over an hour, by which time, i had to plan my seminar for tomorrow, needed to eat and have a sleep.  so, i still have 14 bags of stuff i don't want cluttering up my house and getting in the way, still have to go out and get petrol and various other stuff, wash my hair and stop panicking.

what's your PhD in?

After a year in the program I had to leave after knocking up the old ball and chain. It will someday be Physics. I still keep in touch with my advisor and recently we discussed having me come back, finally, next year. Barring a bunch of family medical, or other, issues like I’ve had this year.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4406 on: October 02, 2008, 02:59:24 PM »
cool.  good luck with that.   :thumbup:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4407 on: October 02, 2008, 03:18:43 PM »

what's your PhD in?

After a year in the program I had to leave after knocking up the old ball and chain. It will someday be Physics. I still keep in touch with my advisor and recently we discussed having me come back, finally, next year. Barring a bunch of family medical, or other, issues like I’ve had this year.

What kind of Physics?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4408 on: October 02, 2008, 03:19:46 PM »
Physicists Unite!

:laugh:

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #4409 on: October 02, 2008, 03:22:06 PM »

what's your PhD in?

Do Maths! Its so much easier...