Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today?  (Read 134119 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What have you done today?
« Reply #4380 on: October 01, 2008, 02:08:59 PM »
Some of them do good. :-\
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4381 on: October 01, 2008, 02:22:01 PM »
maybe.  but surely they should set an example?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4382 on: October 01, 2008, 02:27:06 PM »
But sometimes they need to be there to be heard. For the greater good and all that.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #4383 on: October 01, 2008, 05:39:39 PM »

I grabbed nine large black plastic garbage bags, a roll of black electrical tape (I always have a blade with me) and carried them out to a huge pile of leaves as a project I could do with the kids.

I filled one bag loosely and sealed it up with tape, then roughly divided it into one fourth and three fourth parts. I wrapped the tape around the division and set it aside.

I split the eight remaining bags along both sides, unfolded them, re-rolled them side-ways into very long bags, not so large in diameter, re-sealed them along the sides with plenty of tape and then loosely packed them with leaves.  I put a few sticks lengthwise (to help them stand up) into the eight long bags, divided them using tape into roughly one half, one third, one sixth to make legs and assembled them with the big bag I had set aside into one GIANT BLACK SPIDER, which now sits waiting for trick-or-treaters in my front yard.

I added curved sticks for fangs, white rocks for eyes, a few streaks of red (on the fangs and eyes) and brown (to create texture) paint and we have something like a "leafman" (instead of snowman) Scare-Spider (instead of scarecrow) lurking hungrily, waiting for kids to walk by on Halloween night.

Seasonal decorating is very much out of character for me, but I really enjoyed doing this with/for the kids.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #4384 on: October 01, 2008, 06:14:37 PM »
and you haven't?  :P

i've done more or less fuck all today, due to a pooter which decided to be ill, and the only way to make it better was to sit and wait for it to run a program which took forever, and didn't work for the first FIVE goes.  and then my nice neighbour wanted a letter typed, and it took over an hour, by which time, i had to plan my seminar for tomorrow, needed to eat and have a sleep.  so, i still have 14 bags of stuff i don't want cluttering up my house and getting in the way, still have to go out and get petrol and various other stuff, wash my hair and stop panicking.

i fucking hate days like this.   >:(

:( :hug:?

Just returning the favor!

Drove across half the bloody country--again.

you'd think IT people could manage video conferencing, wouldn't you?  ::)
Video conferencing really sucks. Has your university got any of those "magic" lecture things where you can do a lecture by video conference?

dunno.  but i do know that some of the self-proclaimed eco types are forever flying round the world to attend conferences, and it really pisses me off.   >:(

I used to work on a joint program with Germany and my whole program would travel all over the US and Germany for meetings, such that I was on the road two weeks out of every month. Average cost per trip was about $2,000. Add in the waste from jet fuel and rental car gas and it was ridiculous. Fortunately, I got fired from that program last summer.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 06:47:35 PM by Trigger11 »
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #4385 on: October 01, 2008, 06:37:51 PM »

Video conferencing really sucks. Has your university got any of those "magic" lecture things where you can do a lecture by video conference?

dunno.  but i do know that some of the self-proclaimed eco types are forever flying round the world to attend conferences, and it really pisses me off.   >:(
Being there in person has a lot better effect than being there by video. It allows you to connect a lot better with your audience, which means your message is going to go down so much more. Well worth the carbon cost with the airfare in practise.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4386 on: October 01, 2008, 06:42:35 PM »

Being there in person has a lot better effect than being there by video. It allows you to connect a lot better with your audience, which means your message is going to go down so much more. Well worth the carbon cost with the airfare in practise.

I agree with you that being there in person has a lot better effect and lets you connect better with your audience much better than video conferencing.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4387 on: October 01, 2008, 07:38:16 PM »

<clip> i still have 14 bags of stuff i don't want cluttering up my house <clip>

i fucking hate days like this.   >:(

*rends one of those bags neatly into the finest, most delectable possible chocolate, leaving her thirteen bags of stuff to deal with, a much more manageable number*
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 07:39:55 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4388 on: October 01, 2008, 08:58:15 PM »

I agree with you that being there in person has a lot better effect and lets you connect better with your audience much better than video conferencing.

Not when you're an Aspie! It just makes it more uncomfortable.
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4389 on: October 02, 2008, 12:29:02 AM »
Got four pages of reference drawings from a museum exhibit on ancient Assyria, plus some other good stuff from Africa and Asia.
WoW!
Not sure how I missed that

Did you do the drawings or is it something you ordered? Are they like a floor plan or lay out type thing for the exhibit?

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #4390 on: October 02, 2008, 08:28:26 AM »
Did the drawings myself. The idea is to get reference material for 3d models and world design.

There were detailed low-relief friezes with lots of examples of costume and weaponry. I also got a chariot design and a fairly detailed model of how gear was attached to a pack camel in China - they even accurately sculpted the knots. There were all shapes and sizes of pottery from various periods - like around 5000 BC in Egypt they discovered that if you fire a red clay pot partially buried in the ashes, the part under the ashes gets a black and shiny finish.

There were also all kinds of cuneiform records, detailing the purchase of slaves and such with names given, so I got some good lists of ancient names of everyday people. Even names of dogs - the Assyrians would make figurines of dogs, inscribe them with their names, and bury them in the foundation of a house to protect it.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4391 on: October 02, 2008, 08:59:39 AM »
Did the drawings myself. The idea is to get reference material for 3d models and world design.

There were detailed low-relief friezes with lots of examples of costume and weaponry. I also got a chariot design and a fairly detailed model of how gear was attached to a pack camel in China - they even accurately sculpted the knots. There were all shapes and sizes of pottery from various periods - like around 5000 BC in Egypt they discovered that if you fire a red clay pot partially buried in the ashes, the part under the ashes gets a black and shiny finish.

There were also all kinds of cuneiform records, detailing the purchase of slaves and such with names given, so I got some good lists of ancient names of everyday people. Even names of dogs - the Assyrians would make figurines of dogs, inscribe them with their names, and bury them in the foundation of a house to protect it.

You have a cool job! 8)
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #4392 on: October 02, 2008, 09:24:42 AM »

Even the best NT's get stage fright. But what I do know is seeing public figures in person is an awful lot better than seeing them on the news. For one, they are actually saying something a lot more meaningful.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4393 on: October 02, 2008, 09:45:15 AM »

fucking awesome!     Research, eh? If realism sets you apart from the pack, then you are on the heels of the alpha! I'm sure you learned (sorry, word melding - it came out gleaned) things from this project that you have yet to absorb.
relationships, tendencies, temperment, orders - all well beyond styles ...

to Trig:

This is not just her job. This is one of her Voices.

(need to just quit trying to type today!)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:10:02 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4394 on: October 02, 2008, 09:57:13 AM »

Even the best NT's get stage fright. But what I do know is seeing public figures in person is an awful lot better than seeing them on the news. For one, they are actually saying something a lot more meaningful.

Personally, I used to be awful talking in front of groups. My Master’s Thesis Defense and PhD. Qualifier Oral Exams were like a deer in headlights. I could have been asked my name and would have struggled to answer. My mind went elsewhere and couldn’t focus.

In my job, which I have been doing for over nine years, I am the lead Environment, Safety, and Occupational Health (ESOH) person on my program and have to present to the approval board to get the program approved for use. I have actually gotten quite good and presenting in these formal meetings. I also have to brief the ESOH status of the program periodically at program reviews. So I don’t have a problem with presenting in person.

My problem stems from my sensory issues, stimming, and other quirks. My light sensitivity is so bad that I cannot function in lighted rooms, especially where fluorescents are being used, so I wear a hat, and until recently wore my sunglasses. Otherwise, not only can I not see the presentation due to the glare, but I get massive headaches. This is off-putting to many “professionals”, especially older people. This year I bought prescription glasses that are tinted and polarized, so I can deal with my light sensitivity and not look like I am trying to be cool. If there is a coffee pot brewing in the room, or even an open mug, forget it. I will get nauseated, my eyes will burn, and I will get very agitated. You know how many meetings I go to where nobody is drinking coffee? None! My legs and/or feet are constantly moving around and I fidget with my hands, usually with an Orange Tic-Tac box. So I can really get on other people’s nerves.

I much prefer a video or phone conference. Even better is just using e-mail, since I am still uncomfortable talking on the phone.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 11:19:34 AM by Trigger11 »
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me