Educational

Author Topic: "I read the news today, Oh Boy...."  (Read 4492 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: "I read the news today, Oh Boy...."
« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2016, 12:05:37 AM »
7-8 ISIS warriors have supposedly crossed the border and now pose a threat to Stockholm.

Godspeed. Not sure how close you are to the capital, but ...
Let us hope that your Swedish special forces types find them before their mission is complete.

Are you armed? Can you swing a rake?

Not joking, but do you have a supply of water and first aid at hand?

I'm not armed, no. I very much doubt they'll terrorise my immediate surroundings as I live on the countryside. There just aren't that many viable targets here. But with that said, we have both a water supply and a first aid kit at hand.

I'm slightly more worried when in London, tbh.

I certainly would be as well.

I am somewhat "envious"  of you living in the countryside.

Problem here is that Indiana is almost out of pleasant countryside vistas available to purchase by an upper middle class investor.
 :'(

I like it here--it's sort of a village, close enough to a city for working and visiting, but far enough to not be a bother.

But I do like living in London the weeks I'm there--if I were to move to a city more permanently, that's where I'd go.

Holy crap! Even though you are afraid to be there due to the eminent and constant possibility of terrorism, as one of the preeminent cities representing the "infidel" way of life?  I know, Brits are brave. BUt do you really want to be one?
Dude?  (I think you should enjoy what countryside you have the privilege of living in.)

I have not been there, but you know what I think of the entire idea of Britannia related stuff in general. I have made it clear; if I am pursuing prejudice, it is those who formed many of the failures my own country has to live with which we had to fight over a number of times to just get the "crown's influence" out of our land.

If I had my choice, I would go for Seattle or about fifty miles outside or about fifty miles outside Denver, assuming I was not able to "go back home"  and create a fabulous place in the southern parts of Texas, near a river I can fish in and on the weekend go to the coast and fish in the sea.

I miss fishing where you can eat your catch. Indiana is not safe to eat, in my book. Too much industry pollution over more than a century of neglect.
(I did not know any of this when I moved here to marry the woman of my dreams)
 :zombiefuck:

I like the UK, I have to say. I like London, and I particularly like the fact that there is a lot of work there for me. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #136 on: May 10, 2016, 06:29:12 AM »
  I think I would like to live in the UK.  :apondering:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2016, 12:46:19 PM »
All in all, it's a nice place to be.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2018, 07:49:48 AM »
I know Blackburn - 4,000 Holes?  Here's a photo I took whilst tbere:

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2018, 01:02:54 AM »
I lived just outside London for about 2 years. Part of that time in beautiful Basildon, Essex. And part of that time in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire.

I like London and England in general, but I wasn't all that happy when I lived there. But on the upside it did kind start the ball rolling for 13 years of travelling and living in all sorts of far-flung places for work and I kind of went from a recluse to a semi-functional human being in that time. I don't know what would have happened to me if I'd taken the safer path and stayed in Sydney.

My favourite thing in London, by far, is the British Museum. And my favourite day trip out of London is the Imperial Air Museum (or whatever it is called) at Duxford. I have plans to return for a visit at some stage.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass