Educational

Author Topic: "I read the news today, Oh Boy...."  (Read 4515 times)

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: "I read the news today, Oh Boy...."
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2016, 04:01:38 PM »
One of the more infamous incidents in the online Aspie community.

Does such a thing as the online Aspie community exist anymore??
Ah, I remember this. someone PM'ed me and said I had blood on my hands since I had done nothing to help. In true asper fashion, that was the first time I'd heard about Freund.

I still don't watch the news except if I can't get to the remote when the cartoons go off and BBC America comes on public television.
Did you ask them what they did to help?

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2016, 11:56:19 PM »
One of the more infamous incidents in the online Aspie community.

Does such a thing as the online Aspie community exist anymore??
Ah, I remember this. someone PM'ed me and said I had blood on my hands since I had done nothing to help. In true asper fashion, that was the first time I'd heard about Freund.

I still don't watch the news except if I can't get to the remote when the cartoons go off and BBC America comes on public television.
Did you ask them what they did to help?
i did not. at the time i was under siege at my job so i wasn't reading the site much and decided to ignore it so i didn't have to pay attention to responses.
that would have been a good question because it appeared that they knew about it before i did.
maybe it was an alex sock puppet trying to cover his butt.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2016, 03:25:41 PM »
This is an awesome thread title for a discussion of current events

OK, Thread Pig.

:police:

:lol1:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2016, 05:33:19 PM »
This is an awesome thread title for a discussion of current events

OK, Thread Pig.

:lol1:

No clue what that means

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2016, 04:57:35 PM »
"Pig"  was  a non-conformists' name for a member or especially a representative of "The Establishment" during the sixties. As time passed, the most evident of those representatives were the ones who took us to jail for gathering peacefully in protest of various causes. In other words, the police were called "pigs." That definition has stuck fairly well over the years.

Many "purists" still use the older meaning; anyone bought and sold to make a buck or two AND by doing so, supported the "Establishment"  which was in question way back then, much as it still is to this day.  (I had to go to the pigs - bankers - when I refinanced my house a few years ago to take advantage of the extremely low interest rates. I might be a pig?!?  :hide:) The definition of "establishment" has evolved over the years, but I can still call "PIG"  when I see it.

I was making a joke about how ready you are to get this thread to more reflect the title post. I called you a thread pig!

You bloody copper!
 :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:03:28 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2016, 05:02:26 PM »
"Pig"  was  a non-conformists' name for a member or especially a representative of "The Establishment" during the sixties. As time passed, the most evident of those representatives were the ones who took us to jail for gathering peacefully in protest of various causes. In other words, the police were called "pigs." That definition has stuck fairly well over the years.

Many "purists" still use the older meaning; anyone bought and sold to make a buck or two AND by doing so, supported the "Establishment"  which was in question way back then, much as it still is to this day.  (I had to go to the pigs when I refinanced my house a few years ago to take advantage of the extremely low interest rates. I might be a pig?!?  :hide:) The definition of "establishment" has evolved over the years, but I can still call "PIG"  when I see it.

I was making a joke about how ready you are to get this thread to more reflect the title post. I called you a thread pig!

You bloody copper!

I wasn't trying to get the thread to change course, I just thought it was a cool name for a different thread.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2016, 05:05:17 PM »
The OP is about a news article, so current events would be on topic.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2016, 05:06:38 PM »
... a man must break his back to earn his day of leisure ...

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2016, 05:09:02 PM »

Many "purists" still use the older meaning; anyone bought and sold to make a buck or two AND by doing so, supported the "Establishment"  which was in question way back then, much as it still is to this day.  (I had to go to the pigs when I refinanced my house a few years ago to take advantage of the extremely low interest rates. I might be a pig?!?  :hide:) The definition of "establishment" has evolved over the years, but I can still call "PIG"  when I see it.

You bloody copper!

I wasn't trying to get the thread to change course, I just thought it was a cool name for a different thread.

So maybe I will stop posting Beatles lyrics and we can keep this for current events, unless the current event in mention can be summed up by a line from a Beatles song.
 :evillaugh:

Sorry, can not spell evemt today. :^)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:10:41 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2016, 11:37:46 PM »
Clothing manufacturer pulled it's t-shirt because some idiot said they were offensive to people with celiac disease. The t-shirts were white with black letters: "Are you gluten free?" A petition with 50,000 signatures was sent to the manufacturer.

Seriously?

I just don't get it. What's offensive about that?
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2016, 12:27:05 AM »
I'm allergic to PC people.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2016, 12:28:06 AM »
7-8 ISIS warriors have supposedly crossed the border and now pose a threat to Stockholm.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2016, 06:32:20 AM »
Clothing manufacturer pulled it's t-shirt because some idiot said they were offensive to people with celiac disease. The t-shirts were white with black letters: "Are you gluten free?" A petition with 50,000 signatures was sent to the manufacturer.

Seriously?

I suppose a paranoid person might interpret the question as meaning, 
  "Oh, are YOU one of those tiresome precious gluten-free trend-followers?  ::) "
  But that is a very defensive reading of what could actually be a good conversation-starter
  and awareness-raiser.  So I think the company should have gone ahead and sold the shirt.  :-\
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2016, 07:19:37 AM »

Seriously?

I find those 50,000 signatures very offensive.  :M
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2016, 07:43:56 AM »

Seriously?

I find those 50,000 signatures very offensive.  :M

I'm offended that you're offended.  :M
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"