0 (0%)
France
0 (0%)
Luxembourg
0 (0%)
Austria
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Where do you want to live?  (Read 2134 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Where do you want to live?
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2020, 12:35:30 AM »
Fishing is one of my brother's great interests these days.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2020, 01:30:06 AM »
When Brits say they want to live somewhere warm, do they mean somewhere like Bali? Or do they mean somewhere like Cornwall? Or do they mean somewhere like Spain or Greece? I'm guessing somewhere like Spain or Greece.

Similar with Swedes, when they say they want to live somewhere warm do they mean Southern Europe kind of warm? Florida kind of warm? Southern California kind of warm?
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2020, 02:00:32 AM »
When Brits say they want to live somewhere warm, do they mean somewhere like Bali? Or do they mean somewhere like Cornwall? Or do they mean somewhere like Spain or Greece? I'm guessing somewhere like Spain or Greece.

Similar with Swedes, when they say they want to live somewhere warm do they mean Southern Europe kind of warm? Florida kind of warm? Southern California kind of warm?

The Brits tend to target Spain when they move somewhere warm.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline Dirty Big Yoke

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Gloriously big heap of shite
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2020, 02:32:10 AM »
Moved from Ireland to the UK, somewhat regret doing so considering the current situation with Brexit etc.

I'd love to move to Germany or one of the nordic countries.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2020, 02:41:26 AM »

The Brits tend to target Spain when they move somewhere warm.

Barcelona has a similar climate to where I live now (Sydney), at least temperature wise.

I lived in the hottest city in the world (by average temperature) for 2 years. Bangkok. You do adjust. Coldest place I've lived was Ljubljana in Slovenia. Summer there was nice, winter got down as low as -15 Celsius.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2020, 06:41:01 AM »
I don't need to move to somewhere warm, I'm already there. Yesterday it got to 30°C.

I've been to Bangkok, everyone has air conditioning.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2020, 10:12:28 AM »

Tend to assume when people say somewhere warm, they mean somewhere which rarely freezes, if ever.

Offline Dirty Big Yoke

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Gloriously big heap of shite
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2020, 03:33:05 PM »
I find it funny that most brits just want a "home away from home" rather than an actual holiday. For example, when I went to Ibiza years ago as a teenager, a lot of it was just typical british pubs, cafes etc.

To me, that's not a holiday at all... the experience is more or less no different to seaside towns in the UK during the summer, apart from the cheaper alcohol. A holiday should be all about embracing a different culture, food etc, away from the norm.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2020, 03:58:50 PM »
I've been to Bangkok, everyone has air conditioning.

The house we lived in would have been intolerable without air con. The upstairs was like an oven if the air con wasn't on.

Large numbers of people simply cannot afford air con though, so when it's hot during the day they get dressed up and go wander around the shopping malls.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2020, 08:57:03 PM »

Tend to assume when people say somewhere warm, they mean somewhere which rarely freezes, if ever.
i should think we're all individual, apart from the sheeple  :green:

For my part, I'm presentlly driven by such banalities as health considerations and fuel consumption. Cold weather affects me really badly,  as it happens.  Even cool summer days cause a significant drop in my functonalit, for some reason (eg nerve pain, brain fog, exhaustion)  and tend to be  a wreck throughout most of the winter- even if i stay indoors, oddly enough.    So, ideally, i'd like to live somewhere  where the temperature seldom drops below 20C . I don't know if anywhere really fits that bill, but there;s surely a lot of room for improvement over Britain's climate.

I keep my thermostat at 23C these days. At that temperature, i usually feel fit and well, unltil i try to get too much done, or eat the wrong thing or something. But then all my visitors complain about being roasted, and it isn't any good for environment or pocket either, is it?

Frabkl;y, I'm surprised at myself: Inever gave much of a damn about bodily comfort before, always much more concerned to feed my mind.  But, then.  this kind of ill health is just too damned limiting, miost especially at times when it makes me sleep all the time and otherwise wrecks my brain. So it really boils down m I suppose,  to the ever -frustrated desire to do something more intersting than curling up and moaning and endlessly adjusting my diet :laugh: I keep thinking to myself that i could probably actually live a lot more if only i was living somewhere warm.

PS. Cornwall? CORNWALL?  :zombiefuck: Much though I love cornwall,  gotta say that the weather has been shocking,  almost every time I''ve been there', and certainly no warmer than here in the Midlands, quite the opposite.  I associate Cornwall with stiff winds and driving rain, not warm sunshine.  So have I been very unlucky or have you been watching too much Doc Martin? (and do you even get that program in Oz?)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 09:08:01 PM by Walkie »

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2020, 09:42:41 PM »
Yes, we get Doctor Martin in Oz.

I've been to Cornwall 3 times, when I lived in the UK in '98/'99, and the weather was very pleasant. I recall meeting a lot of people who had relocated from the North or the Midlands and had set up small businesses in Cornwall. By most standards it isn't exactly warm, just wondering if that's what Brits think of as moving to a "warmer" climate.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2020, 12:09:02 AM »

I've been to Cornwall 3 times, when I lived in the UK in '98/'99, and the weather was very pleasant. I recall meeting a lot of people who had relocated from the North or the Midlands and had set up small businesses in Cornwall. By most standards it isn't exactly warm, just wondering if that's what Brits think of as moving to a "warmer" climate.

Nope., surely not, i've never  heard anyone say that Cornwall is any warmer, just more pleasant in other ways (much less populous, for instance. That's the biggest draw, I think. You'd have to go a long way  North, where it's cold, to find affordable housing in a similarly rustic setting. Or else across to Wales where most everybody hates you, if you're English)    though most of my own visits to cornwall have been off-season , come to think. so i've  got a different picture from your avarage holidaymaker.  In Port Wenn, by contrast,  it's always  high Summer, Ive  noticed' and it never rains.  I think that  the TV crew  must be very, very  picky as to when they shoot  :LOL:. My impression of  of Cornish weather from own experience , and reports from a (now deceased) relative who lived down there is that it seems a lot more turbulent and menacing, overall  than the weather in the Midlands and the rest of the South. I'm not grumbling about that, mind, seems entirely appropriate for a land so steeeped in mythology .

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2020, 12:31:32 AM »

Nope., surely not, i've never  heard anyone say that Cornwall is any warmer, just more pleasant in other ways (much less populous, for instance. That's the biggest draw, I think. You'd have to go a long way  North, where it's cold, to find affordable housing in a similarly rustic setting. Or else across to Wales where most everybody hates you, if you're English)    though most of my own visits to cornwall have been off-season , come to think. so i've  got a different picture from your avarage holidaymaker.  In Port Wenn, by contrast,  it's always  high Summer, Ive  noticed' and it never rains.  I think that  the TV crew  must be very, very  picky as to when they shoot  :LOL:. My impression of  of Cornish weather from own experience , and reports from a (now deceased) relative who lived down there is that it seems a lot more turbulent and menacing, overall  than the weather in the Midlands and the rest of the South. I'm not grumbling about that, mind, seems entirely appropriate for a land so steeeped in mythology .

There's a tiny willage called "Minions" in the middle of Bodmin Moor in Cornwall.  I have driven to this place to take a look three times while staying n Cronwall and each time the mist has been so bad I could only see 30 feet in front of the car at best.  So after three attempts I still haven't "seen" Minions.

This is the last time I tried to take a look.

Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2020, 10:03:27 AM »

i should think we're all individual, apart from the sheeple  :green:

For my part, I'm presentlly driven by such banalities as health considerations and fuel consumption. Cold weather affects me really badly,  as it happens.  Even cool summer days cause a significant drop in my functonalit, for some reason (eg nerve pain, brain fog, exhaustion)  and tend to be  a wreck throughout most of the winter- even if i stay indoors, oddly enough.    So, ideally, i'd like to live somewhere  where the temperature seldom drops below 20C . I don't know if anywhere really fits that bill, but there;s surely a lot of room for improvement over Britain's climate.

I keep my thermostat at 23C these days. At that temperature, i usually feel fit and well, unltil i try to get too much done, or eat the wrong thing or something. But then all my visitors complain about being roasted, and it isn't any good for environment or pocket either, is it?

Frabkl;y, I'm surprised at myself: Inever gave much of a damn about bodily comfort before, always much more concerned to feed my mind.  But, then.  this kind of ill health is just too damned limiting, miost especially at times when it makes me sleep all the time and otherwise wrecks my brain. So it really boils down m I suppose,  to the ever -frustrated desire to do something more intersting than curling up and moaning and endlessly adjusting my diet :laugh: I keep thinking to myself that i could probably actually live a lot more if only i was living somewhere warm.

PS. Cornwall? CORNWALL?  :zombiefuck: Much though I love cornwall,  gotta say that the weather has been shocking,  almost every time I''ve been there', and certainly no warmer than here in the Midlands, quite the opposite.  I associate Cornwall with stiff winds and driving rain, not warm sunshine.  So have I been very unlucky or have you been watching too much Doc Martin? (and do you even get that program in Oz?)
Have problems perceiving cold, until it's too late and becoming so cold it's difficult to overcome no matter how warm. Like a lot of people, don't like extreme temperatures of either sort. Never had central heat or air until moving here in mid thirties, but have grown accustomed so it's not really about temperature. It wasn't until after moving here, it was realized there might have been a mild form of seasonal affect. Not outright depression, but it was something.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2020, 02:27:21 PM »

There's a tiny willage called "Minions" in the middle of Bodmin Moor in Cornwall.  I have driven to this place to take a look three times while staying n Cronwall and each time the mist has been so bad I could only see 30 feet in front of the car at best.  So after three attempts I still haven't "seen" Minions.

This is the last time I tried to take a look.

Is this a wind-up?
Love it,  in any case  :plus:.  and will definitely look it up on Google Maps later.

Meantime., I'll tell you what that pic reminded me of.  It was that drive back home from Cornwall when i persuaded my partner (the driver of the pair of us. I can't drive to save my life)  to take the scenic route through Dartmoor. That was definitely one of my very best ideas for a diversion (and most of them turned out really well) . The deeper we got into Dartmoor, the more densely the mist gathered in , until visibility was even less than shown in your picture.  And then, quite suddenly (whilst we were stopped  for a bit) a bunch of Dartmoor ponies appeared  out of the mist , and I whisked out the camera got a really spooky -looking double exposure of them. It was utterly magical,  much better than your poxy little rock  :P