Educational

Author Topic: Post a childhood memory  (Read 3434 times)

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
Re: Post a childhood memory
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2018, 05:26:25 PM »
The first movie I remember seeing was American Graffiti, although I didn't see it when it was released.

It was shown at the theater at Vandenberg AFB a few years later. At first I thought it was a Happy Days movie because Ron Howard and Cindy Williams were in it.

This was a common practice at theaters at military bases, it was less costly for them to get old movies back then.

You never saw a movie in a theater until you were an adult?

I was like 4 or 5 at the time. It's the earliest movie I remember.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2018, 05:33:18 PM »
I also saw one of the original Pippi Longstocking films very earle on. I must have been three or four.

They have a collection at the local library.
We always previewed things before we showed them to our kids. English translations and all, when necessary.
Seemed harmless enough.

My daughter never wanted to grow up, either. Some of the themes fed into this "phobia of growing up stuff."  She used to cry when I would compliment her on doing something "big girl" and quit doing what I had praised.
Not sure that we are done with that, but she constantly talks about how she has saved almost enough for an apartment with her friends. It is probably the friends that she actually wants.

So many more conversations yet to come.

:dunno:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2018, 05:35:04 PM »
The first movie I remember seeing was American Graffiti, although I didn't see it when it was released.

It was shown at the theater at Vandenberg AFB a few years later. At first I thought it was a Happy Days movie because Ron Howard and Cindy Williams were in it.

This was a common practice at theaters at military bases, it was less costly for them to get old movies back then.

OOPS!  I misunderstood.

I interpreted your post as meaning that your first movie theater experience was when you were serving in the military.

Sorry.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2018, 05:58:15 PM »

OOPS!  I misunderstood.

I interpreted your post as meaning that your first movie theater experience was when you were serving in the military.

Sorry.

I thought I had mentioned that I was an Air Force brat.

My dad got a Masters Degree in computer science in the early 60's when that was a bit of a rare thing (there were only about a dozen universities that had computer science programs back then) then he got his commission as an officer after that.

Then both of his sons enlist in the Marines, go figure.   :dunno:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2018, 12:28:54 AM »
Did your father ever work in Computer Science?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2018, 12:45:52 AM »
I was taken along to watch "Swiss Family Robinson" at the cinema when I was about 5 years old. It was released before I was born, so it must have been some kind of cinema rerun.

I was really pissed off, I thought it was going to be a "Lost in Space" movie.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2018, 01:58:28 PM »
I went to Boy Scout camp when I was 11 and it rained almost the entire week, the tents leaked and all my stuff smelled like mold by the end of the week
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2018, 08:24:43 PM »
A camping trip up near lake Bala in wales, with my old man, just the two of us, a tent, a few basic supplies and foods  we couldn't possibly improvize like bacon, eggs, tinned  beans,  bangers for making breakfast.

One morning I dragged us both, before breakfast, up a mountain, hiking, not so steep climbing equipment needed, all forested, whilst I picked wild mushrooms, got wild oyster mushrooms, MUCH  firmer, not soggy like the flabby crap shops flog, fresh off a dead or dying silver  birch trunk, nice and young, got us slippery jacks, larch boletes (both Suillus, rather than true boletus  species,  pores  underneath, slime layer on top of the caps, that has to be peeled off before eating, very good eating indeed, a favourite of mine when served russian style, deslimed, garlic butter to fry the caps, then served with a squeeze of lemon juice on top, common species too, growing under pines, very tasty), got us ceps (Boletus edulis, one of THE most commercially important mushrooms  that still comes totally from the wild, as they are mycorrhizal, forming associations with trees and as with most mycorrhizal fungi either haven't been cultivated  or are very hard to do so), these being the ones known to gourmet restaurants at shocking prices as 'porcini', and same as are used in canned mushroom soup, as they retain their powerful mushroom-y flavour even after canning or drying or pressure cooking)  and prized  as  one of the best. And hedgehog fungus, Hydnum  spp.  H.repandum, the best of them, being what I found, unusual for their having pointy, soft spines under the cap rather  than either gills or pores, even a few chanterelles, lots and lots of  variety, brought back a real big sack of  top notch finds and goodies, that we fried up  with bacon, sausages, baked beans, fried eggs, etc. and turned a camp breakfast into a gourmet meal, courtesy of the  mushroom-hunting skills I taught myself starting at age 4, and have been honing all my life. Absolutely wonderful,  especially since I'd dragged my old man up a mountain before we ate so much as a bite, in order to work up a real monster of an appetite.

Tucking into that, oh my, that was delightful.

Another childhood  memory or  two:

'Put...that...OUT!!!' (parents seeing a  blazing inferno on the back garden stone path we had  at the  old house. Quite impossible to comply, as it was  a thermite reaction, being watched by myself through welding goggles, so intense is the heat it gives off masses of  UV, enough to damage eyes  if more than glanced at, and in any case, one does not 'put out' thermite. Thermite  goes out when the charge has  finished burning. Which it does  at several thousand degrees 'C, giving off a plume of sparks, and  molten iron or steel, or other metals depending on the oxide  used. It goes out when the reaction has  no more reactants  left to react. And  not before. Water would be split into hydrogen and oxygen,and probably explode violently, likewise CO2 from a fire extinguisher would be  split apart into it's constituent elements and  provide fuel for a fire. There is only one single way to put it out and that is to disperse it so far and  wide that the particles  are no longer close enough to burn continually and each speck goes out  in a second or two. Otherwise, it'll even burn under  water once lit. They use it to weld railway track sections together, to cast steel, and to cut through steel, so hot does it burn.  And was  I going to go up to it and kick it to disperse it?

Kick something hot enough to near enough boil molten iron? you must be shitting me. Not a chance. They just had to wait until the  blazing inferno had stopped flaring, sparking, and dribbling a slick of molten iron over the back garden path.

Or the great shout of 'are you alright' up the stairs of the old house, when my old man had  built me my first lab benches,  in my bedroom.

The house mains breakers had all tripped, plunging  the house  into darkness and shutting down every single electrical item that didn't rely on batteries. Accompanied by a  colossal great BOOM!!!!, and  my diving for cover, as the vase, with two carbon rods  fitted  through holes drilled in the sides, and in which had been poured caustic soda, liquefied, molten, at several hundred degrees 'C with a blowtorch, filled to the top, and  connected to a plug, which I'd modified  with a slug of lead, cast for the purpose and the last bits hammered into shape to force it in, the other bit of the plug straight into the mains, and me diving out of the way, wearing goggles, rubber boots and  gloves and carrying a lengthened broom handle, used to poke the mains on.....not realizing DC, not AC current was needed, resulting in a sodding huge CRACK! noise,  a lot of  swearing fit to wake the dead, and me running like hell out of range, of the torrential plume of molten caustic, blasted up all over the  ceiling, and elsewhere in my room, singing lots of areas of  carpet, and burying a fair lot of vase-shrapnel in the wooden bed-frame and into the walls....I was fine enough, although my mom was daft enough to ask if I'd seen her vase or  knew where it might be a day or two later...she really ought to have put two and two together and realized she'd never see that vase ever  again.

You hear your son create a MASSIVE thumping great BOOM!!!! in his bedroom, see him dressed in rubber boots, elbow-length rubber gloves, wearing goggles, and carrying a broom handle, ducking out of the bedroom the moment the power was turned on, as the mains breakers trip and shut power down to the entire house, plus a sound like shattering ceramic shards peppering the walls, celling, embedding themselves into the wall and bed frame, a lot of swearing, and smell a mixture of the odour of copper wire that's just been frazzled to oxide in a matter of microseconds as well as plastic insulation flaming and giving off acrid fumes...and a day, maybe two later, you ask where your flower vase is......really now, even a neurotypical ought to know better than to voice the question as to where it is, or have I seen it....it ought to be blatantly obvious that said vase will never, EVER be seen again, once the son of the family has run out of the back door later with a pair of pliers in one hand and a black rubbish sack which goes not in the bin, but gets tied up and thrown over the wall of the back alley the rear of the house facing, while the kid returns holding only the heavy pliers, grinning widely....

Like you even NEED to ask....

Other fun childhood memories...

My first thermobaric charge in an abandoned car, whole enough for my test but not drivable.

Letting off a DIY RPG in a sewer storm drain. Not realizing the shockwave would rebound back from the far end and knock me senseless, vision whited out, ears ringing like church bells, knocking me  backwards,

Hunting for conkers in the trees to play with, using a pistol-grip miniaturized grenade launcher while other kids used thrown sticks.

They got a few  down every several throws...I just blasted them down in showers due to the huge shockwave from the TNT and booster charge in the shells, dropping out of the trees like sharply-spiky heavy rain,

Me and a friend as  real young kid, we were playing about,  setting fire to the dry grass of this field, only, instead of the little bits of fire we planned, the whole thing turned into a whopper of a firestorm and spread  to the back of the nearby college. As we left, we saw a LOT of fire tricks screaming down the road and  pulling into the college. THAT was  unintentional, both of  us thinking 'oooohhhh boy.....we really done it now....'

Playing with some local kid, going up a  local disused railway track, where some unknown guy had a fenced compound made of tall metal sheet, always locked. And my blowing the lock off with a copper pipe full of explosives, each time he put on a new padlock, we'd go up there and I'd blast it off, buggering with his  head. One of the few times I ever saw the lock after, it had literally been flattened, as  if it were made of plastic and  had been smashed repeatedly with a sledgehammer :heisenberg:

A bit naughty, but oh well. Kids will be kids. And don't they all go through that 'weeee...lets blow shit up!!!' phase?  everything from dropping 'airbomb' fireworks (like bangers but near a foot long, souped up to fuck) into school suggestion boxes on the weekends when they are closed, dropping them down chimneys, occasionally blowing up toilets with pipe-bombs, strapping a personally-invented slow-but-superintense-burning wax-bound plasticized incendiary composition to deodorant cans, acetylene tanks strapped to oxygen cylinders....

First time I ever prepared some white phosphorus, writing with it on a stick, on paper in the dark, seeing it glow bright lurid green,before it burnt through the paper.

Building my first shoulder-fired rocket launcher.

First time making TNT, manage to partially oxidize the toluene to benzaldehyde in the process and FLOOD my room with an overpowering scent of marzipan and cherry bakewell tarts, sweet and delicious smelling, my entire bedroom, absolutely gorgeous scent.

Quite a lot of escapades I dare not even mention.

Does 19 count as  childhood? if so, the most wonderful memories of my entire life:

Going to a paintball game, where this classically autistic girl literally launched  herself at me like a shell from a high-caliber naval cannon, stopping very briefly to knock the crap out of someone for getting into the way, ran over, threw  me into a tree and slammed into me full-force, shoved her tongue down my throat as far as she could get it, and kept it there until I  almost passed out for the second time, the first being when she whacked me into the tree trunk, leaving me seeing stars.

And somewhat after she told me I was hers, and she was  my G/F, told me her name, and  we just went from there, getting on like a flamethrower in a petrol refinery. A little later, found out she  was only 14, and I'm not quite sure how long it was since  she turned 14 either, but hey by that time, less than a week later, I'd already proposed to her, and damned if I was going to call it off due to her age. Hell no. Curvy, Kanner's, long black hair, the CUTEST spazzy-as-hell sounding thing she did with her voice when she'd shout 'HiiiIIIiiiiiiiiIII---*my name*..I can't describe it, just the spesh-sounding way she made it sound, sent shivers down my spine, her voice in general, she just..made go all warm and squishy inside :) sexiest voice  EVER. Just all round gorgeous,warm, loving, kind, a good person all round, absolutely lovely girl.

The day she first took me home, me feeling nervous  as hell, knowing the age difference, her mom looking at me sideways so to speak.

Or the day I very first that spesh-sounding way she'd scream my name as I would hers, and we'd  run from opposite ends of the road,  belting it down there towards  each other as  fast as  we could and slam full tilt into each other, lifting one another up and spinning each other in our  arms, to dissipate part of the force and  just being  so happy to see each other.

Or one time, in the FOULEST weather you ever did see, wind a  full on hell-storm gale, so strong we could barely stand, holding on to each other to stop from falling or going rolling down the street, LITERALLY,  no  joking, it was that strong, and raining, cold, miserable, but we were happy, she'd held on tight to me, linking one arm each round a  lamp post, giving me the cover of her coat (and foxy lil' autie body too :autism:) so I could skin up a joint of skunk, which, along with a big bottle of cheap cider, we took to the straight big round metal tube of a kiddie's play-park jungle gym type thing, to curl up all over each other, pass the doob between each other, and swig cider together, out of the wind, and snuggling up tightly to keep each other warm. All sleepy from the herb and cider, and snuggly warm from being wrapped round each other's bodies, two lovers, admittedly way, way under age, but two fiancee's madly in love, making the best of the filthy environment, because we had each other, and nothing else mattered whatsoever, but that we each made the other happy and  kept each other comfy.

Or  being asked by my folks 'WHY, is there a large slick of molten lead oozing across the garden path, glowing nearly white hot...'

Again..just don't ask.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.