Educational

Author Topic: Censorship on the internet or Do I live in commie China?  (Read 1534 times)

TheoK

Censorship on the internet or Do I live in commie China?
« on: August 10, 2008, 06:42:33 AM »
"Present our apologies that your country or ip address has no opportunities to contact with our services.
The access to it is forbidden. Please, try later"

PharmaMedcis

Though I can reach it from an American IP without problems.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: Censorship on the internet or Do I live in commie China?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 06:56:59 AM »
I can reach it from the UK.  Maybe the site blocked your country because it's illegal for them to ship there and they don't want the hassle of disappointed or confused customers.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

TheoK

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 07:08:13 AM »
It's illegal to ship here, yes. Could it be that my country is c-o-w-a-r-d-l-y by any chance?

TheoK

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 07:09:44 AM »
Drugs make people feel good. Ergo the oppressors don't want people to get them. If I use drugs that I pay for in my own home, it's my fucking business.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 07:38:40 AM »
Canget it here but they don't have anything really good

Drugs make people feel good. Ergo the oppressors don't want people to get them. If I use drugs that I pay for in my own home, it's my fucking business.

I fully agree with on this one
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 07:46:42 AM »
I wouldn't pay those prices on that site, though it's not about that but about the principles. Internet censorship doesn't belong in a democracy.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 07:50:22 AM »
I wouldn't pay those prices on that site, though it's not about that but about the principles. Internet censorship doesn't belong in a democracy.

I have no idea who much stuff costs e just pay a copay on our insurance on the RXs their prices did seem high

George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 07:53:56 AM »
Wouldn't work here, though I can get much of the stuff legal here. I just don't accept that they censor the internet like that and for the sole purpose that people shouldn't get some mild opioids and benso.

TheoK

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 08:49:33 AM »
According to their FAQ they ship to my country but I'm not allowed to watch the site from an IP in my country. ::)

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 10:57:17 AM »
Its pretty pathetic of them, and I agree drugs should be legalised, if only to stop the crime that goes with them. Though what our government is planning on doing with the internet is more draconian...

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 12:51:35 PM »
Its pretty pathetic of them, and I agree drugs should be legalised, if only to stop the crime that goes with them. Though what our government is planning on doing with the internet is more draconian...

What do they want to do?

George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 12:54:56 PM »

What do they want to do?

Probably the same as in Sweden: bug all citizens' internet traffic arbitrarily.

Offline IlluSionS667

• Constant Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 06:16:39 AM »
From Holland I do not have access. From Belgium I do.

Probably it's self-censorship based on the regulations of the country in question. I personally bother a lot more about the attempts of certain Western-European governments to ban the sale of certain products at websites like E-bay, to exclude certain websites from Google searches and/or to force ISPs to take certain websites down because of politically sensitive content. Those are truely comparable with the censorship of the Chinese government. It's so hypocritical and pathetic of "human rights" organisations to whine about China and ignore very simpilar forms of state censorship in Western-European "democracies".

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 12:47:22 PM »
According to their FAQ they ship to my country but I'm not allowed to watch the site from an IP in my country. ::)

But it's them doing the blocking, not your ISP, right?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 12:49:26 PM »
From Holland I do not have access. From Belgium I do.

Probably it's self-censorship based on the regulations of the country in question. I personally bother a lot more about the attempts of certain Western-European governments to ban the sale of certain products at websites like E-bay, to exclude certain websites from Google searches and/or to force ISPs to take certain websites down because of politically sensitive content. Those are truely comparable with the censorship of the Chinese government. It's so hypocritical and pathetic of "human rights" organisations to whine about China and ignore very simpilar forms of state censorship in Western-European "democracies".

But this is not Swedish or European censorship, it's the company/organisation/whatever that is doing it, based on a simple IP lookup.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein