Author Topic: Censorship on the internet or Do I live in commie China?  (Read 1535 times)

TheoK

Re: Censorship on the internet or Do I live in commie China?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 01:09:24 PM »
According to their FAQ they ship to my country but I'm not allowed to watch the site from an IP in my country. ::)

But it's them doing the blocking, not your ISP, right?

Sure, but it's not 100% unrealistic that the government made them do it. My ISP hardly did.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 01:12:10 PM »
I doubt it. This seems to be their idea, considering that Sweden is not the only country they block.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 12:25:52 AM »
According to their FAQ they ship to my country but I'm not allowed to watch the site from an IP in my country. ::)

But it's them doing the blocking, not your ISP, right?

Sure, but it's not 100% unrealistic that the government made them do it. My ISP hardly did.

I don't think that would be a government thing.

If they can't ship to your country if you ordered anything, then what is the point of looking at what you can't buy anyway?

You can't even buy some stuff there that is OTC here, and most of that stuff looked like it was prescription drugs.

I sort of know how you feel, though.  There is an aspie site that you can see but I can't because I have an American IP address and they block American IP addresses.  I wanted to follow some link there, I was annoyed that I couldn't, and I felt like it was censorship.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 12:36:21 AM »
Hey Delusionist, they saw you coming; that's why they blocked you. As I said, you aren't Poirot, so you ahve no charm, wit, style or brains. So if even a pharmaceutical company can see what a prat you are, and Sir Les and I can, it satnds to reason that a Belgian from up the Congo should get his arse whupped by them. As for Holland, they are known to be a bunch of drug crazed weirdos  Maybe they should change their name to the Nether-regions, given what dicks they are.............

Pass the Dutchie to the left hand side.

Offline IlluSionS667

• Constant Poster
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 03:09:40 AM »
Like I said, it's probablty SELF-CENSORSHIP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-censorship

Again, you illustrate your inability to read what's actually being written. Otherwise, you would have realised you're just repeating what I already said.

From Holland I do not have access. From Belgium I do.

Probably it's self-censorship based on the regulations of the country in question. I personally bother a lot more about the attempts of certain Western-European governments to ban the sale of certain products at websites like E-bay, to exclude certain websites from Google searches and/or to force ISPs to take certain websites down because of politically sensitive content. Those are truely comparable with the censorship of the Chinese government. It's so hypocritical and pathetic of "human rights" organisations to whine about China and ignore very simpilar forms of state censorship in Western-European "democracies".

But this is not Swedish or European censorship, it's the company/organisation/whatever that is doing it, based on a simple IP lookup.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 05:09:10 AM »

Pass the Dutchie to the left hand side.

:LMAO:

:plus:

thepeaguy

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 05:39:56 AM »
It's illegal to ship here, yes. Could it be that my country is c-o-w-a-r-d-l-y by any chance?

LOL, Cowards!

TheoK

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 05:42:37 AM »
I don't think that would be a government thing.

If they can't ship to your country if you ordered anything, then what is the point of looking at what you can't buy anyway?

You can't even buy some stuff there that is OTC here, and most of that stuff looked like it was prescription drugs.

I sort of know how you feel, though.  There is an aspie site that you can see but I can't because I have an American IP address and they block American IP addresses.  I wanted to follow some link there, I was annoyed that I couldn't, and I felt like it was censorship.

The thing is: it's not illegal to buy the stuff there. I've checked. The drugs there are class IV and V; those can legally be imported without a prescription as long as it's for your private use up to not more than 1 year and the capsules/tablets don't contain more than the maximum allowed dosage in Sweden, which they don't. Sweden is vilolating its own laws as usual.

TheoK

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 05:43:31 AM »
It's illegal to ship here, yes. Could it be that my country is c-o-w-a-r-d-l-y by any chance?

LOL, Cowards!

EDIT: I've checked it out; it's not illegal, which makes it even more cowardly (and criminal) to inhibit people from buying there.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 06:01:03 AM »
Like I said, it's probablty SELF-CENSORSHIP.

Ah, so you did. You can have this point since it means so much to you.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 06:05:49 AM »
You should see how much this place used to sell before the government clamped down on DIY chemistry and firework making.  All watered down now see if you can  access it from your country http://www.unitednuclear.com/
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 06:19:16 AM »
You should see how much this place used to sell before the government clamped down on DIY chemistry and firework making.  All watered down now see if you can  access it from your country http://www.unitednuclear.com/

I know the site very well, since I've found many pyrotechnical advices and recipes there. ;) The most ridiculous thing is that it's forbidden to ship oversea. You could almost think it was a Swedish rule. How could it harm the US to send chemicals outside the US? ::)

Chemicals are actually not that regulated in Sweden, except for strong acids and poisons and drug precursors. Though in Germany you can buy almost anything if you just guarantee that you won't use it for illegal purposes. I've checked it out. I've also found out that you can buy stuff from Poland. Maybe worth the while to take a trip to Poland and the Czech Republic. 8)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2008, 06:28:20 AM »
Chemicals can be used for considerable harm for the US, as far as I understand. that is their reasoning, at least. It's the same with various technologies. Isn't PGP still illegal there, at least with 128-bit encryption?

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 06:49:44 AM »
Chemicals can be used for considerable harm for the US, as far as I understand. that is their reasoning, at least. It's the same with various technologies. Isn't PGP still illegal there, at least with 128-bit encryption?

Those chemicals sold by United Nuclear were hardly first of choice chemicals for terrorists. And banning the sell of them ovserseas is ridiculous, since they're probably available in any country overseas where a terrorist attack against US targets is likely. I spoke with an Arab on Youtube some weeks ago. He had no problems getting chemicals for bombs, if he wanted to, though this was a West-friendly university man...

Encryption is illegal in France at least. Don't know about the US.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 07:43:10 AM »
/shrugs

I'm sure they do it to annoy you.

- Albert Einstein