Educational

Author Topic: The helpless generation  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: The helpless generation
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2008, 04:00:17 PM »
I did the whole University thing even earning a degree in Environmental Biology and in Marine science but stuck with my summer job because entry level jobs in my field paid so low. This house  was built for a plumber who started his own business back in the 1970's and expanded it   now he just supervises  his crews and goes on vacation
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

thepeaguy

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2008, 05:21:48 AM »

A job at Wal-Mart, if you're lucky.

And that's a bad thing because...? Plenty of people work in supermarkets, including students.

Speaking of which, I'm applying for a job at Asda. Guess I won't count on your support then.  :lol:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 05:32:17 AM by IntensitySquared's Patron »

thepeaguy

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2008, 05:27:36 AM »

A level English gets you what type of job?  What type of job do you have what type might you get?   It's not just DIY or carpentry but any type of vocational  training.  A country full of only people with A level English  will spell very well and have good grammar but won't produce much or get much done.  Sure you need office people but you will not get far with only them

I'm not doing it to get a fancy job. I'm doing it mainly because I want to improve my education. Is that a crime? I might not be getting a big fat salary, but at least I'll be working hard.

Stop trying to drag down those who are smarter and more successful than you (not saying I am). You're every bit as bad as an intellectual snob.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 05:29:13 AM by IntensitySquared's Patron »

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2008, 08:59:24 AM »
So what if I don't know how to repair a fucking door? Not everyone is capable of doing the same thing as everyone else.

Don't bitch about our lack of home improvement skills just because you fuckers are losing business. Why don't YOU try and learn some new skills to get back on the job market, preacher?

READ what I said

It's not about lack of home improvement skills it's the lack of skill in general.  Everyone seems helpless when confronted with the simplest repair or problem and fewer am
and fewer are going into any type of skilled labor. Everyone wants to work in an office soon we will not know how to produce anything.  As far as learning new skills and getting back in the job market I learn new things everyday and becuse of the helplessness of the general public I am rarely lacking work and have just expanded by business and am thinking of hiring people. 

No-one wants to do something that doesn't interest them. So what if fewer people are into carpentry or DIY shit? Elitist bollocks from old farts ain't going to rectify that, gramps.

Why don't you learn some new skills and get back on the job market :finger:

Well what do you call A Level English then, dickhead?  :hahaha:

Shows what you fucks know about me -- fuck all.

Oh well, that ain't good enough because I'm not hitting fucking nails into wood eight hours a day.  :violin:

A level English gets you what type of job?  What type of job do you have what type might you get?   It's not just DIY or carpentry but any type of vocational  training.  A country full of only people with A level English  will spell very well and have good grammar but won't produce much or get much done.  Sure you need office people but you will not get far with only them

You should tell that one to some of the students at my university, doing the top English course in the country, all whom of course have English A-levels. I would love to see the reaction.

thepeaguy

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2008, 09:36:57 AM »
You should tell that one to some of the students at my university, doing the top English course in the country, all whom of course have English A-levels. I would love to see the reaction.

But are they building houses or repairing pipes for a living, eh? EH?!?

Stupid, I know. So much for trying to improve oneself.  :yawn:

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2008, 11:53:35 AM »
English majors here get to be teachers or journalists usually.   Depends on if they do something different for their masters or phd program of study.   Engineers and bachelors of science graduates in general fare better than English majors.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2008, 12:15:59 PM »

I'm not doing it to get a fancy job. I'm doing it mainly because I want to improve my education. Is that a crime? I might not be getting a big fat salary, but at least I'll be working hard.

Stop trying to drag down those who are smarter and more successful than you (not saying I am). You're every bit as bad as an intellectual snob.

It's good that you are trying to improve your education.   I understand that and think it's good your looking for a job at Asda but that goes to show it takes all types.  Many people here look down on those jobs and only think your worth anything if you work in the white collar world those are the ones I am taking about.  BTW I have never had any desire to work in an office and was offered at my last job.  My people skills suck and I'd end up shooting up the place
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2008, 03:29:30 AM »

And that's a bad thing because...? Plenty of people work in supermarkets, including students.

Speaking of which, I'm applying for a job at Asda. Guess I won't count on your support then.  :lol:

Yes, I already knew that, Peaguy.

That's why I said that was the job you could get with your A level English, if you were lucky.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with working in a supermarket, just like there's nothing wrong with working with your hands. 

Like Parts said, that goes to show it takes all types.

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2008, 06:50:30 PM »
http://mikadigital.com/home/index.html

a carpenters house :thumbup:

did he make it working for people as a hired hand, no he went in business for himself, bought all sorts of equipment and hired people to work for him. But he wasn't a clipboard hero, he worked and also built most of his house himself, not by picking up the phone, by picking up tools.

http://mikadigital.com/home/Aerial_sm.jpg

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2008, 08:50:34 AM »
I learnt most of what I know in the university of hard knocks, as did a good many other people. Seems nowadays you need a degree even to work in a supermarket. Far as I'm concerned, most universities are glorified babysitting centres for teens and people in their young twenties and they make the unemployment statistics look better because students aren't counted amongst the unemployed.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2008, 07:53:30 AM »
Looks like I may be going at the right time, then, in my 30s. Did over 10 years of physical work and now my body is punishing me for it.

I don't "want" all the time like a lot of those people on tv. Some people want instant gratification, I guess.

It would be nice to fix up the house we are in at the moment but we are renting and so not allowed.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2016, 02:30:23 PM »
In general the US has become soft easy and cheap imports and the looking down upon manual labor has done much it hasten the problems we face now.  Today most people strive to work in offices pushing papers back and forth while few want to make or do anything with their lives.  There are some but not many.  Fifty years ago a skilled workman was a noble profession now it's looked at as dirty.  We as a people have lost track and I say that for most of western culture.  So many people have no idea how to do the simplest manual labor and the people who are the experts at it are slowly dieing of old age as people would rather have cheep imports than fix quality items.  I see this more and more everyday in my business very few want to go into trades or have the skills required to.  On top if that it's looked down upon by people in my area.   Without people to do the dirty work society would fall apart no matter how much paper you push at it.  It has begun already fewer and fewer people going into vocational jobs in fifty years no one will know how to fix or make anything and that will be the end of us :soapbox:   

Sorry for the rant but it's on my nerves along with  Sam Adams and klonopin

I agree totally.

Welcome to Idiocracy.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2016, 06:44:23 AM »
  tl;dr.  Somebody please  dumb it down  sum it up for me.  :bigcry:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2016, 08:34:22 AM »

Think you'll get someone to help you?  Fat chance.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2016, 08:20:54 PM »

Summary: Learn how to fix your own broken crap yourself.

You're welcome.  :zoinks:
:gopher: