Author Topic: The helpless generation  (Read 2158 times)

thepeaguy

Re: The helpless generation
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 04:18:11 AM »
So what if I don't know how to repair a fucking door? Not everyone is capable of doing the same thing as everyone else.

Don't bitch about our lack of home improvement skills just because you fuckers are losing business. Why don't YOU try and learn some new skills to get back on the job market, preacher?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 04:22:44 AM by IntensitySquared's Patron »

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 05:25:46 AM »
Nice work Johnny   good to know not everyone is helpless though I knew you were not.  You know what it's like in Ct though everyone seems unable to do the simplest things

thanks

it is strange how lots of them look down on people who can work with their hands yet can't do squat themselves. Trained office monkeys who really think they are high IQ because they can preform a few simple office tasks most teenagers could be trained to do in a few weeks or something else to be looking down their noses on people who can think for themselves.

The 1st reply on page 2 re-enforces the veiw people have, the poster thinks you or we need to learn some new skill for some reason. More work out there than the few people willing to actually work for a living can do considering most people can't do nothing themselves and hire people to do everything for them.
Some of them just let their houses fall apart and move into a place in good condition every 10 years or so.

The guy who put in my furnace last summer said he is booked solid all the time and turns down work and if I hadn't called him the beginning of the summer to arrange an august job i would have never found anyone if i started calling people in september.
One guy who came to look at doing it said he wasn't licensed to do electrical work or touch gas lines, he was just a plumber and advertising he installed furnaces, yet had no subcontractors he worked with to do what he couldn't do and thought I would hire 3 people to do the job. Hey if he wants part of the job, he needs to line up subcontracotrs.

Local lumber yard advertises they put up garages but want nothing to do with excavating and don't even have a list of excavators to recomend to people who call asking about a garagem, once again I found an older fellow who said he would do the whole job.

Problem is the school system and society disrespected jobs in the trades so bad sinse the 70's and used shop class as a dumping ground for various types of idiots and unruley students there are few people with the skill and work ethic to run a bubba business and the guys with the people & business skills long ago gave up with hiring employee's because all they got was total slackers who took shop class or went to trade school.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 06:04:44 AM »
So what if I don't know how to repair a fucking door? Not everyone is capable of doing the same thing as everyone else.

Don't bitch about our lack of home improvement skills just because you fuckers are losing business. Why don't YOU try and learn some new skills to get back on the job market, preacher?

READ what I said

It's not about lack of home improvement skills it's the lack of skill in general.  Everyone seems helpless when confronted with the simplest repair or problem and fewer am
and fewer are going into any type of skilled labor. Everyone wants to work in an office soon we will not know how to produce anything.  As far as learning new skills and getting back in the job market I learn new things everyday and becuse of the helplessness of the general public I am rarely lacking work and have just expanded by business and am thinking of hiring people.  Why don't you learn some new skills and get back on the job market :finger:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 11:37:57 AM »
http://www.reformer.com/localnews/ci_10076678

wow the little wennies made some wooden boxes and it's big news

Self esteem is a big part of this and the girls come out at the end doing a lot of things they didn't think they could do."

must have lived real sheltered lives if making a wooden box does all that for them. What next washing cloths will be front page news ?

even back in the stone age when I went to school a lot of kids had never touched a tool before shop class. It's probably worse today, bike gets a flat they call a wrecker for it and have it towed into the shop or throw it out and buy a new one. Ok I got carried away with the wrecker, mommy takes it to the repair shop.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 06:30:45 PM »
The lack of skills doesn't bother me as much as people who aren't even willing to try to do even the simple stuff.

90% of the vacuums I've ever picked up either needed a belt, or were clogged. I've got 2 weedeaters sitting in my shed right now that needed gas and a spark plug, mowers that needed something as simple as a new cable. It's not rocket science, this is simple shit, but many just seem not to want to be bothered, it's easier to just go out and drop $75-$100 on a new one.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 07:40:35 PM »

Self esteem is a big part of this and the girls come out at the end doing a lot of things they didn't think they could do."

must have lived real sheltered lives if making a wooden box does all that for them. What next washing cloths will be front page news ?

even back in the stone age when I went to school a lot of kids had never touched a tool before shop class. It's probably worse today, bike gets a flat they call a wrecker for it and have it towed into the shop or throw it out and buy a new one. Ok I got carried away with the wrecker, mommy takes it to the repair shop.

After I got out of the locked psych ward (spent a month there--thank G-d one of the night nurses was a King Crimson fan--and yes, it was in a nice suburb etc. but they had me on so many drugs I spent the first week in a fog and NEVER EVER want to repeat that) I spent about a week refinishing and repairing my parents' coffee table. It was the first time I'd tried such a hands-on project since I attempted to build an oscillator from a Heathkit DIY package. (I do MISS that company.) Working on that coffee table was essential to my recovery, esp. after being on a locked ward for a month.  When I was done, I felt really good. The table looked better than it did before I started, and I did it.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 07:44:38 PM by wandrew »
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 01:19:01 AM »

Well, they are sixth grade to eighth grade girls and they did more things than just make boxes.  They also learned how to work on cars, for example.  I think that where I grew up, girls tended to be less exposed to learning carpentry and automobile mechanics and more exposed to learning cooking and sewing.  I wonder if it is the same for these girls?

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 09:15:47 AM »
It should be normal skills learned at home by helping mom & dad around the house. Most of it is just common sense normal people can figure out on their own.
It starts with when a kid cries they have a flat tire on their bike, let them fix it instead of babying them.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 08:48:22 PM »
The girls in the article are homeless and living in a shelter, as far as I can tell - where the heck else are they going to get access to carpentry tools and practice?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 10:55:58 PM »
I think it's a good program, sometimes there just isn't a mom or dad around to teach them this stuff.

I've got a 13 yr old down the street from me, dad hasn't been around since she was 2, mom works double shifts and has to leave her with the grandparents, grandpa burnt out 98% of his brain cells over 20 years ago and is busy chasing women half his age most of the time & grandma is sick, and doesn't know much herself.

Offline IlluSionS667

• Constant Poster
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 08:42:36 AM »
Four decades of liberal rule and that's what you get : a nation filled with degenerate weaklings who can't take care of themselves anymore and who don't have anything to believe in anymore.... and then people wonder why I'm a traditionalist....

In general the US has become soft easy and cheap imports and the looking down upon manual labor has done much it hasten the problems we face now.  Today most people strive to work in offices pushing papers back and forth while few want to make or do anything with their lives.  There are some but not many.  Fifty years ago a skilled workman was a noble profession now it's looked at as dirty.  We as a people have lost track and I say that for most of western culture.  So many people have no idea how to do the simplest manual labor and the people who are the experts at it are slowly dieing of old age as people would rather have cheep imports than fix quality items.  I see this more and more everyday in my business very few want to go into trades or have the skills required to.  On top if that it's looked down upon by people in my area.   Without people to do the dirty work society would fall apart no matter how much paper you push at it.  It has begun already fewer and fewer people going into vocational jobs in fifty years no one will know how to fix or make anything and that will be the end of us :soapbox:   

Sorry for the rant but it's on my nerves along with  Sam Adams and klonopin

thepeaguy

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 01:01:59 PM »

READ what I said

It's not about lack of home improvement skills it's the lack of skill in general.  Everyone seems helpless when confronted with the simplest repair or problem and fewer am
and fewer are going into any type of skilled labor. Everyone wants to work in an office soon we will not know how to produce anything.  As far as learning new skills and getting back in the job market I learn new things everyday and becuse of the helplessness of the general public I am rarely lacking work and have just expanded by business and am thinking of hiring people. 

No-one wants to do something that doesn't interest them. So what if fewer people are into carpentry or DIY shit? Elitist bollocks from old farts ain't going to rectify that, gramps.

Why don't you learn some new skills and get back on the job market :finger:

Well what do you call A Level English then, dickhead?  :hahaha:

Shows what you fucks know about me -- fuck all.

Oh well, that ain't good enough because I'm not hitting fucking nails into wood eight hours a day.  :violin:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 01:16:49 PM by IntensitySquared's Patron »

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 02:39:48 PM »

READ what I said

and fewer are going into any type of skilled labor. Everyone wants to work in an office soon we will not know how to produce anything.  As far as learning new skills and getting back in the job market I learn new things everyday and becuse of the helplessness of the general public I am rarely lacking work and have just expanded by business and am thinking of hiring people. 

No-one wants to do something that doesn't interest them. So what if fewer people are into carpentry or DIY shit? Elitist bollocks from old farts ain't going to rectify that, gramps.

Oh well, that ain't good enough because I'm not hitting fucking nails into wood eight hours a day.  :violin:

A level English gets you what type of job?  What type of job do you have what type might you get?   It's not just DIY or carpentry but any type of vocational  training.  A country full of only people with A level English  will spell very well and have good grammar but won't produce much or get much done.  Sure you need office people but you will not get far with only them
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 03:49:50 PM »

READ what I said

A level English gets you what type of job?  What type of job do you have what type might you get?   It's not just DIY or carpentry but any type of vocational  training.  A country full of only people with A level English  will spell very well and have good grammar but won't produce much or get much done.  Sure you need office people but you will not get far with only them

A job at Wal-Mart, if you're lucky.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 03:52:06 PM »
The education system in this country does it's utmost to railroad people into a narrow range of occupations; everything is geared towards pushing people through university so that they can get a white-collar job with some large organisation.  Vocational training wasn't even discussed as an option when I was at school, and was regarded as something for people who were too dim for anything else. 

It's an enormous waste of resources to put someone through a 3 or 4 year degree in 'media studies' just so that they can make coffee and shuffle bits of paper in an office for £12K a year at the end of it, and it's also devalued degrees, so that now you have to have one for many jobs, just because everyone else does.  While university is necessary for lawyers, geologists, historians and other expert professionals, for most of the population it's become a competition over who can grow the most expensive, time-consuming and useless antlers to impress prospective employers with, and the fixation on university education has meant that alternative modes of education have been marginalised.  Even people who don't succeed at school and can't get into university often don't take the hint because they've never been exposed to alternatives, and spend years going through access courses so that they'll one day get a chance at the idolised and unitary goal of a university education.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?