Educational

Author Topic: Warning to all the parents on here  (Read 1210 times)

Offline IlluSionS667

• Constant Poster
Re: Warning to all the parents on here
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 02:11:56 AM »
Thanks for explaining... I was puzzled and did not read 'you' the way you intended. Speaking as an Englishman, using the word 'one' in this way is considered very old fashioned or snobbish in the UK... it not really considered common usage... although I admit I do sometimes speak and write that way.

Although I was taught Oxford English in high school and college, I usually write and speak American English because most of my knowledge of the English language comes from TV, films, music, Internet, etc.... When I do hear British English, it's usually Oxford English or working class English and I can't say how much either reflect the language of the average Englishman.

How do English these days distinguish between the general "you" and the specific "you"? Is there a simple trick in your language to avoid the confusion or should a person just judge on the basis of context?

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Grumpy Composer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2008, 05:56:40 AM »
How do English these days distinguish between the general "you" and the specific "you"? Is there a simple trick in your language to avoid the confusion or should a person just judge on the basis of context?

Its simply that one has got to be careful with the context (there I go using 'one' again - lol)... in correct modern UK English the words 'you' and 'have' would be there rather than 'one' and 'has' ;D

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2008, 07:32:31 AM »
True, however, ignorance is also natural - nobody is born with full knowledge of everything. And you villify it to an irrational degree, to the point where it clouds your judgment and fucks up your communication.

People who're ignorant can't help being ignorant. They can help being hypocriticaly, narrowminded and prejudiced, though. As such, I mostly object to hypocricy, marrowmindedness and prejudice.

Hint: anytime your brain thinks something is evil, that's the time to examine it, not to run around accusing everybody of it.

I'm not a dualist. I don't think in terms of good vs. evil but rather I ask myself how dangerous someone's attitude or behavior is for the welfare of others. In my opinion, there is nothing more dangerous than hypocricy, marrowmindedness and prejudice. Hence, I object to such attitudes quite strongly.

People should be taught to open up their minds and to think rationally. It's the best way to fight ignorance and the best way to preserve peace and justice.
Gotta be careful about how open your mind is though. If it's too open, any old crap can fall in and you might not get it out again. Just a thought.  ;D

Offline IlluSionS667

• Constant Poster
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2008, 08:20:54 AM »
People should be taught to open up their minds and to think rationally. It's the best way to fight ignorance and the best way to preserve peace and justice.
Gotta be careful about how open your mind is though. If it's too open, any old crap can fall in and you might not get it out again. Just a thought.  ;D
[/quote]

It all depends on whether or not you process your data logically.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2008, 08:53:16 PM »
Yeah, the more strictly logical, the less likely to be accurate, in this messy and chaotic world. That's why humans function much better than AI.

Are you an AI?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline IlluSionS667

• Constant Poster
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2008, 02:32:02 AM »
Yeah, the more strictly logical, the less likely to be accurate, in this messy and chaotic world.

I strongly disagree. A high degree of accuracy can only be achieve be applying strict logic. The messy and chaotic nature of the world doesn't change this a bit. It just requires the ability to process high volumes at data at a rapid speed.

That's why humans function much better than AI.

Humans function better than AI because AI is not real AI. As long as computers can't actually learn independently, we can't really speak of genuine AI. The moment a computer becomes independent of its programming and indepentently learns new ideas, we'll have true AI. Self-awareness is the next step.

Are you an AI?

I am not, although I see a great deal of similarity between the way I process data and between a computer processes data. This is partly the reason why I became an IT consultant.

Offline ApotheosisIV

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • interweb
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2008, 06:24:30 AM »

As long as computers can't actually learn independently, we can't really speak of genuine AI. The moment a computer becomes independent of its programming and indepentently learns new ideas, we'll have true AI.

This happened nearly ten years ago.
batcat

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2008, 06:41:45 AM »
i keep reading this thread as, "warning to all the pants on here."

how i laugh.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2008, 06:49:09 AM »

how i laugh.

No, that's what flashes up on the screen every time you log into I2   :P

Offline IlluSionS667

• Constant Poster
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2008, 06:55:20 AM »

As long as computers can't actually learn independently, we can't really speak of genuine AI. The moment a computer becomes independent of its programming and indepentently learns new ideas, we'll have true AI.

Please elaborate. What experiment are you referring to and why do you regard it as an example of independent learning?

Offline ApotheosisIV

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • interweb
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2008, 06:57:49 AM »

Please elaborate. What experiment are you referring to and why do you regard it as an example of independent learning?

Many of my colleagues worked in AI.
Try google, there is some unclassified work out there (most of it I think).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 07:00:49 AM by Kosmo2.0 »
batcat

Offline IlluSionS667

• Constant Poster
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2008, 07:07:56 AM »

I'm aware of AI research but I'm not aware of any computers that manage to learn independently. Most experiments with regards to AI involve little more than complex algorythms that somewhat simulate independent thinking but never approach the real thing.

Offline ApotheosisIV

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • interweb
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2008, 09:07:13 AM »

I'm aware of AI research but I'm not aware of any computers that manage to learn independently. Most experiments with regards to AI involve little more than complex algorythms that somewhat simulate independent thinking but never approach the real thing.
What real thing?
You think the brain does anything more special than pattern recognition or something?
batcat

Offline IlluSionS667

• Constant Poster
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2008, 09:36:54 AM »
What real thing?
You think the brain does anything more special than pattern recognition or something?[/quote]

What lacks in current attempts to produce AI is the computer being able to make its own decisions. Computers thusfar have failed to do anything but that which man tells them to.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2008, 12:00:54 PM »

how i laugh.

No, that's what flashes up on the screen every time you log into I2   :P

:laugh:  fab!   :plus: