Author Topic: Cliques and the spirit of Intensity  (Read 7816 times)

thepeaguy

Re: Cliques and the spirit of Intensity
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 07:17:36 AM »
bitch.  :laugh:

I only speak the truth.  8)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 07:24:20 AM »
Hey, it's your loss if you can't provide anything of substance.

Both of you.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

thepeaguy

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 07:31:36 AM »

Both of you.

No grave loss to me if I happen to find your topic boring.

If you don't like this site's management then fuck off. You're hardly important.

(I am, though! ^^)

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 07:38:09 AM »
Right, because everybody who has a problem and dares open their mouth doesn't deserve to be here. [/sarcasm]

Not all problems are big enough to warrant a messy emo running-away. I don't see a problem with speculating about politics and organization and maybe even provoke a, you know, interesting discussion. More interesting than the same old sex talk and summaries of people's boring days, anyway.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

thepeaguy

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 07:43:40 AM »
Right, because everybody who has a problem and dares open their mouth doesn't deserve to be here. [/sarcasm]

Not all problems are big enough to warrant a messy emo running-away. I don't see a problem with speculating about politics and organization and maybe even provoke a, you know, interesting discussion. More interesting than the same old sex talk and summaries of people's boring days, anyway.

I never said that you don't deserve to be here. Seriously, if Intensity can only come up with is boring internet politics these days, then it's no wonder that this site is losing its key members.

It's one thing to complain about this site, but it's another to drone on about its decline for months like you have.

Just go with the flow or gtfo -- you're not changing anything.  :yawn:

EDIT: Don't let the door hit your ass on your way out.

http://www.stained-glass-studio.co.uk/images/doors/4_panel_glazed_door.jpg
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 07:46:36 AM by thepeaguy »

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 08:24:03 AM »
Just a bunch of thoughts on this, not really organized or anything:

Does the fact that admins have a certain level of power mean that they aren't allowed to react?  That seems "unintensity" as well, ot use a nce little buzzword.  If there had been a vote for Cal to be banned (which, I don't think he was, was he?) started by non-admins. held, and carried out, would that have been aloowed?  A vote for him to be blabberized?  The issue seems to be with the idea of things being "un-intense" or "un-ideal" or something like that, and with the idea of one person having power.  Yes, this place was started out of protest against another forum like that.  If intensity seems to be going the way of WP, though, if history taught us anything, then wouldn't it be that there's less point in railing against the current status quo (because you don't like it, because it has changed, etc.) than in making a new forum for refugees who hate the current way things are?  that is, if this place really seems to be like WP, or even if this place's size is the issue.  Cal did it, though I didn't really spend much time on those boards, so I don't know what's up with that.  And as to this supposedly being a place where people don't need social skills (a utopia or sommat, I guess?)- it seems unrealistic to not expect a large, mostly cohesive group to have norms, and to want them followed- whether or not we "should" be that way.  Spectrum or NT, we're still human.

Then again I don't follow politics on here perfectly because they furstrate and bore me, so I'm prolly missing a major issue and am making an ass of myself.   :-\
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 10:01:30 AM »
Cal was not banned... he was ignored, which is the achilles heel of the troll.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »

Both of you.

oi!  don't have a go at me - i was on your side.  :P

:laugh:

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 01:07:30 PM »
Cal was not banned... he was ignored, which is the achilles heel of the narcissist.

fixed.  ;)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 01:07:53 PM »
Just a bunch of thoughts on this, not really organized or anything:

Does the fact that admins have a certain level of power mean that they aren't allowed to react?  That seems "unintensity" as well, ot use a nce little buzzword.  If there had been a vote for Cal to be banned (which, I don't think he was, was he?) started by non-admins. held, and carried out, would that have been aloowed?  A vote for him to be blabberized?  The issue seems to be with the idea of things being "un-intense" or "un-ideal" or something like that, and with the idea of one person having power.  Yes, this place was started out of protest against another forum like that.  If intensity seems to be going the way of WP, though, if history taught us anything, then wouldn't it be that there's less point in railing against the current status quo (because you don't like it, because it has changed, etc.) than in making a new forum for refugees who hate the current way things are?  that is, if this place really seems to be like WP, or even if this place's size is the issue.  Cal did it, though I didn't really spend much time on those boards, so I don't know what's up with that.  And as to this supposedly being a place where people don't need social skills (a utopia or sommat, I guess?)- it seems unrealistic to not expect a large, mostly cohesive group to have norms, and to want them followed- whether or not we "should" be that way.  Spectrum or NT, we're still human.

Then again I don't follow politics on here perfectly because they furstrate and bore me, so I'm prolly missing a major issue and am making an ass of myself.   :-\

well said, PMSElle.   :clap: :plus:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 01:24:34 PM »
Personally I still think blabberizing Cal was "intense" in the same sense that some early I2 stuff was considered intense, until Queen Emoga went overboard with it.

The ignore button, OTOH, is more of an automated sanity check.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 06:34:53 PM »
Just go with the flow or gtfo -- you're not changing anything.  :yawn:

EDIT: Don't let the door hit your ass on your way out.

No can do. I don't go with flows unless it's to my advantage. And why do you keep repeating the stuff about leaving? I haven't said anywhere that I intend to leave.

Same rules apply as always. It bores you? Don't read the fricking thread. Or hell, put me on ignore. The reason I repeat the same tired issues now is because I'm personally trying to make sense of them. And because I was asked.

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 06:39:57 PM »
I got kicked out of a clique, bunch of idiots.  I made everyone laugh, with me not at me.  Fuckn Eric has problems I hear.  I have a tendency to attract bad people, they got chased by a drug dealer for stealing something from him, he was gonna kill them.  Perhaps Eric didn't want me getting envolved out of respect.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 06:42:29 PM by ALLDAYGLOWRANDY »
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 06:59:03 PM »

Actually, your post makes more sense to me than most of what people have said. So it's quite appreciated.

Does the fact that admins have a certain level of power mean that they aren't allowed to react? 

No - actually I would love it if admins were duking it out in the main event forum as often as everyone else (not that anyone else does anymore, very often  :-\ ). When I said the bit about setting borders for narcissists, I meant that it's not reacting that's wrong - reacting is necessary - but the type of reaction. I saw Cal snipe and snipe at Odeon, and Odeon take the bait and get riled up, and then strike back with the blabberizer. In retrospect I'm not even sure it was wrong to handle it that way. I agree with what Odeon said about it being intense in the way the early days of I2 were intense, and I still think it was cowardly of Cal to have run off with his tail between his legs because he couldn't handle bringing his ideals into some kind of cohesion with the people around him. But I do have a problem with the number of members that left along with Cal, and would have liked it if that fallout could have been avoided. Odeon said at one point that he thought the remaining members were higher quality than those that left. Not only do I disagree about the quality, the whole thing makes me suspect that what he did was just to get rid of the people he personally didn't like, which I think is wrong.

If there had been a vote for Cal to be banned (which, I don't think he was, was he?) started by non-admins. held, and carried out, would that have been aloowed? 

LOL. Now I have to question myself, because I was never particularly in favor of democracy. It's less important to me whether it's a single person or a group running things, than whether they get run in a certain way. What I'm trying to figure out is whether a single person or a group is more effective. Each time something happens that goes against what I want, I question what it is about the community structure that led to it happening.

The issue seems to be with the idea of things being "un-intense" or "un-ideal" or something like that, and with the idea of one person having power.  Yes, this place was started out of protest against another forum like that.  If intensity seems to be going the way of WP, though, if history taught us anything, then wouldn't it be that there's less point in railing against the current status quo (because you don't like it, because it has changed, etc.) than in making a new forum for refugees who hate the current way things are? 

Possibly. It's just that I see the cycle repeating, and the same type of people getting kicked off each successive new board.

And as to this supposedly being a place where people don't need social skills (a utopia or sommat, I guess?)- it seems unrealistic to not expect a large, mostly cohesive group to have norms, and to want them followed- whether or not we "should" be that way.  Spectrum or NT, we're still human.

The thing is, I'm looking for a group with a certain set of norms. In particular, where conflict and aggression are acceptable, and differences are investigated and eventually understood, rather than rejected as soon as they become inconvenient. That's the direction in which I keep trying to push Intensity.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 07:01:07 PM by Pyraxis »

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 08:20:29 PM »
Leavin' out the couple things I don't know enough about to comment on:

Actually, your post makes more sense to me than most of what people have said. So it's quite appreciated.
Lol, ty.

Does the fact that admins have a certain level of power mean that they aren't allowed to react? 

No - actually I would love it if admins were duking it out in the main event forum as often as everyone else (not that anyone else does anymore, very often  :-\ ). When I said the bit about setting borders for narcissists, I meant that it's not reacting that's wrong - reacting is necessary - but the type of reaction. I saw Cal snipe and snipe at Odeon, and Odeon take the bait and get riled up, and then strike back with the blabberizer. In retrospect I'm not even sure it was wrong to handle it that way. I agree with what Odeon said about it being intense in the way the early days of I2 were intense, and I still think it was cowardly of Cal to have run off with his tail between his legs because he couldn't handle bringing his ideals into some kind of cohesion with the people around him. But I do have a problem with the number of members that left along with Cal, and would have liked it if that fallout could have been avoided. Odeon said at one point that he thought the remaining members were higher quality than those that left. Not only do I disagree about the quality, the whole thing makes me suspect that what he did was just to get rid of the people he personally didn't like, which I think is wrong.

Like I said, I don't follow politics a whole lot, but that's also the type of thing that you can say after any major emotional battle- "It's better that it was this way."  Makes it easier to deal with havign gone through it.  But, I admit that's almost me trying to mind-read, which I shouldn't (and yet, up stays the post, lol).  I know that even one wrongly-worded sentence can sometimes be easy to fixate on and fester, and I'm guessing that it's been said a few times- I don't know, I don't keep count.  But either way.

The issue seems to be with the idea of things being "un-intense" or "un-ideal" or something like that, and with the idea of one person having power.  Yes, this place was started out of protest against another forum like that.  If intensity seems to be going the way of WP, though, if history taught us anything, then wouldn't it be that there's less point in railing against the current status quo (because you don't like it, because it has changed, etc.) than in making a new forum for refugees who hate the current way things are? 

Possibly. It's just that I see the cycle repeating, and the same type of people getting kicked off each successive new board.

Not to go all doomsday, but maybe there's a reason for that.  I don't knwo what it is and I don't think the blame lies really anywhere, save for the way groups tend to form, to my understanding.  There was always an outgroup, even here, IMO- thing is, the outgroup before was WP.  Outgroups bring more cohesion to the ingroup.  If a new community of outgroupers was formed, the old ingroup would be their outgroup, and that new sense of community woudl prolly help the new group's cohesion.  Intensity certainly doesn't exist as a reaction forum any more; there's actual social/emotional ties, and that might be another key part of it.  If this forum has become a new entity- either a stangated pit, an extended internet family, or anything else you'd like to call it- maybe the whole place is intense in name only, now.  I don't mind, but then, I don't follow board politics all that much and I'm not really all that into conflict either.

And as to this supposedly being a place where people don't need social skills (a utopia or sommat, I guess?)- it seems unrealistic to not expect a large, mostly cohesive group to have norms, and to want them followed- whether or not we "should" be that way.  Spectrum or NT, we're still human.

The thing is, I'm looking for a group with a certain set of norms. In particular, where conflict and aggression are acceptable, and differences are investigated and eventually understood, rather than rejected as soon as they become inconvenient. That's the direction in which I keep trying to push Intensity.
Yeah, that's what this place started toward.  But, what conflict are we supposed to have right now?  This is certainly conflict.  In fact, seems like we get most of our conflict now out of arbitrary annoying trolling and arguments about forum politics and what intensity should be.  Not saying either is extricable at all, let alone should ideally be removed, but mayeb the ignor button will go a ways toward more the type of conflict you'd want- not just pissing each other off, but actually interacting, not reacting?

Calandale's conflict seemed more and more to be about conflicting with the system and the members, which ironically may have hlelped to expediate changes against what he was trying for on both counts.  Plus, he sorta had a way of arguing sideways, so although I think he was a terrific troll and great for getting members to react, he doesnt really follow the ideal of investigating and understanding one another's differences- which is nothing against him, but certainly somehting against making him a martyr for that particular cause.  I personally found some of his posts sort of entertaining, but he never seemed to make me a target, and I might have felt differently if he had.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.